Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Drew

Respected actors that don't appeal to you.

40 posts in this topic

Ken, I felt exactly the same about Bill Murray, until I saw him in Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums, and was converted.

DiCaprio usually does nothing for me.  So my appreciation of his role in The Aviator means he must have really done well.  That's not to say he hasn't done some stuff I like, but before Aviator (with a passable grade for Gangs of NY) I have to go back to Romeo+Juliette, and Basketball Diaries.

How about in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE Darrel?

I'm not a big fan of

Some Like It Hot
, too, although there are some great lines in it. I don't find the men-in-drag very funny, and I was not really interested in the relationship between Curtis and Monroe.

But, Ken, you're killing me with putting Jack Lemmon in there.

Re: Jason Schwartzman

I really loved his performance and the character he played in Rushmore. Yes, he was annoying, but that was one of the most original characters I had seen (especially in a comedy) in a long time. But how many films has this guy been in, and is he really "respected?" Have we defined what we mean by "respected actor." Some of the actors listed are not ones that I would say are widely acclaimed or respected.

I always thought the Three Stooges were overrated. Never held a candle to the Marx Brothers. But then, who could?

I think the distinction you might want to draw between "respected" and "critically aclaimed" might be better represented by saying "stars" and "actors" (emphasis on the "o" in a English lovie drawl).

Eg.

Stars mentioned:

Julia Roberts

Colin Farrell

Leonardo DiCaprio

Tom Cruise

Richard Gere

Kevin Costner

Actohrs mentioned:

Jennifer Jason Leigh

Cate Blanchett

Nicole Kidman

People who tread the fine line:

Dustin Hoffman

Jack Lemmon

Katherine Hepburn

I think for me the difference is that stars never seem to be able to deliver different performances. The roles they pick tend to be relatively flat and the role shapes itself to them rather than vice versa as is the case with actors. For those that I said walk the line - I think it depends entirely on the type of film they choose. For example, Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate is a different matter entirely to him in... uhm... Hook.

I'm not sure about the validity of this argument. I'm aware that the idea of some actors as "proper" actors is just another facet of their star status. Still, though, there is a difference.

I have to say that as much as I love the guy (he is single handedly responsible for introducing me to film, no exageration) I sometimes feel very distant from Robert de Niro, although I also like this about him, makes him a curiousity you'll never quite grasp. Similarly I appreciate Nicole Kidman but there's an edge to her that I can't quite get past (the Others & To Die For were exceptions).

Cameron Diaz. Her roles makes me want to shoot myself

in the foot. Harsh, I know, but somehow also true.

Why? Perhaps it is from the (first, didn't see the second)

Charlie's Angels movie, but any character she plays

immediately becomes dumb and shallow in my mind.

I really like Vanilla Sky, and I ALWAYS react like Cruise

does when she appears.

Cameron Diaz. Her roles makes me want to shoot myself

in the foot. Harsh, I know, but somehow also true.

Why? Perhaps it is from the (first, didn't see the second)

Charlie's Angels movie, but any character she plays

immediately becomes dumb and shallow in my mind.

I really like Vanilla Sky, and I ALWAYS react like Cruise

does when she appears.

Yeah I agree with you ... can't think of too many times when I actually liked her in a role ... maybe just BEING JOHN MALKOVICH.

I'm not so sure that it's solely a Christian film reviewer tendency. I think it's pretty much across the board. Perhaps not as much in reviews as in analyses. Reviews always touch on acting to a degree.

I for one have always been somewhat blase about actors. Possibly because I've worked with them. I need to work on my patience, but I've said it before and I'll say it again I'm from the Laurence Olivier school of acting who, when asked by Dustin Hoffman after filming the umpteenth take of the torture scene "how do you do it, just like that, on cue" replied "try acting dear boy."

Having said that, I know reaaallly (grudingly) that it's hard work and it does sometimes need a little push from someone else. There's an interview with Emma Thompson re. Sense and Sensibility where she discusses Ang Lee's subtle directing techniques. spoilers1.gif In the final scene where Hugh Grant proposes, there's a long shot (MCU) of her in profile as she sits in her chair hearing this news she's waited years to hear and that will change her life. Apparently all Lee said to her was "I don't want you to turn your head past this point until the end" - and it works beautifully! She keeps almost turning but stopping at the point, it works as if she can't quite let herself believe this news and she's holding back on all this pent up emotion. It's really a genius moment of acting and directing (the camera is perfectly positioned too) working in sync.

The story of Olivier and Hoffman is a bit more intetresting than the one you mention. Hoffman subscribes to method acting - experiencing the emotions you are trying to portray as fully as possible. This is a dangerous and haphazzard way to act, although, it sure works for Hoffman.

Anyway, the story is that Hoffman's character in Marathon Man is supposed to have been awake for days, so Hoffman didn't sleep before filming that scene. When he came in that morning Olivier said, "Good God man you look like hell."

Hoffman replied "Yeah, I stayed up all night long to prepare for this scene."

To which Olivier quipped, "You should try acting. It's much easier."

heh I love how movie anecdotes change. The version I told was the one that Dustin Hoffman recounted on a late night chat show in the UK. Although, yours sounds a whole lot more credible (and Olivier sounds funny as opposed to just mean).

I'll have to check my sources. Mine just has more detail. That doesn't mean its more accurate. smile.gif

But its more fun.

Various versions:

One day on the set of Marathon Man, Dustin Hoffman showed up looking like s***. Totally exhausted and practically delirious. Asked what the problem was, Hoffman said that at this point in the movie, his character will have been awake for 24 hours, so he wanted to make sure that he had been too. Laurence Olivier shook his head and said,

In the end, I just want to know if Olivier really referred to Hoffman as "Dusty."

Al Pichno the guy is just too much of a hamm bone actor he just goes on and on.

Wow, people complain to moderators about other people's spelling...?

I hope they said something about punctuation and the need to break paragraphs down into sentences, too.