Ant-Man

SDG   

Wait. This film can't really have been in development since (unregistered) posted --content deleted-- all the way back in 2004. Can it? 

Tyler   

Wait. This film can't really have been in development since (unregistered) posted --content deleted-- all the way back in 2004. Can it? 

I was confused when I found the thread, too.

All reports I've heard was that Edgar Wright was pitching this to Marvel before Iron Man.

Persona   

All reports I've heard was that Edgar Wright was pitching this to Marvel before Iron Man.

Well. The two have met:

$_35.JPG

Deadline: Michael Douglas Joins Marvel’s ‘Ant-Man’

Michael Douglas has become the second major casting for Ant-Man, the Disney/Marvel movie that stars Paul Rudd. Douglas, fresh off his Golden Globes win last night for Behind The Candelabra, will play Hank Pym, who first appeared in the comic in 1962.

SDG   

Wikipedia says Marvel hired Wright for the gig back in April 2006. That's two years before Iron Man and six years before The Avengers.

In 2006, there was no Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now there is, and every director has to be willing to work within that style. Shane Black's Iron Man 3 probably pushed the Marvel house style about as far as it can be pushed, which is not very.

Wright wanted all along to make an Edgar Wright film, which originally might have sounded fine to Marvel, but not any more. Ergo, creative differences. 

Anders   

Wikipedia says Marvel hired Wright for the gig back in April 2006. That's two years before Iron Man and six years before The Avengers.

In 2006, there was no Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now there is, and every director has to be willing to work within that style. Shane Black's Iron Man 3 probably pushed the Marvel house style about as far as it can be pushed, which is not very.

Wright wanted all along to make an Edgar Wright film, which originally might have sounded fine to Marvel, but not any more. Ergo, creative differences. 

Which is my main complaint with MCU. The requirements of the house style pretty much squash any real innovation. Wouldn't be as big a deal if the MCU weren't already verging on bland and cookie-cutter. Black and Whedon, the most distinctive voices who have worked in the MCU, are just that: voices. Writers whose quirks and one-liners can fit into the plotting and visual palette of the MCU without much problem.

Anders wrote:
: Wouldn't be as big a deal if the MCU weren't already verging on bland and cookie-cutter. Black and Whedon, the most distinctive voices who have worked in the MCU, are just that: voices. Writers whose quirks and one-liners can fit into the plotting and visual palette of the MCU without much problem.

Hey, don't forget Kenneth Branagh and his love of Dutch angles!

Latino Review's El Mayimbe did some digging and this is what his sources told him about Wright's depature:

About 3 months ago, Marvel had notes. The meat of the notes were about the core morality of the piece, must include franchise characters. etc., These notes came from the big four at Marvel. Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright did two drafts to try and answer the notes without compromising their vision.

6 weeks ago Marvel took the script off them and gave the writing assignment to two very low credit writers. One of the writers were from Marvel's in house writing team. Edgar stayed cool, agreed to stay on the project, and read the draft.

The script came in this week and was completely undone. Poorer, homogenized, and not Edgar's vision. Edgar met with Marvel on Friday to formally exit and the announcement went out directly after.

Edgar & Joe were upset by the sudden, out of nowhere lack of faith in them as filmmakers. Fiege had always batted for them but this felt like it came from the higher ups.

: Edgar & Joe were upset by the sudden, out of nowhere lack of faith in them as filmmakers. Fiege had always batted for them but this felt like it came from the higher ups.

Someone higher than Fiege, then? Meaning... someone at Disney? Bob "Frozen has real franchise potential" Iger, even?

Tyler   

The Hollywood Reporter says the frontrunners to replace Wright are Rawson Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer.

The trio offers a glimpse into the mindset of Marvel president Kevin Feige as he looks to fill the hole left by Wright, a favorite among the fan-boy community. Thurber (We're the Millers, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story) and McKay (the Anchorman movies) are known for their bawdy comedies. Fleischer, whose credits include Zombieland and Gangster Squad, has moved deftly between genres with comedic elements. Wright, a Brit with a more quirky sensibility, clashed with Marvel over the tone of the film.

McKay would appear to have an edge given that he has worked with Ant-Man star Paul Rudd before on the Anchorman films. But McKay, who just wrapped the Will Ferrell-Kevin Hart comedy Get Hard, also is a busy producer with Ferrell in their Gary Sanchez Prods. and the female-centric spinoff banner, Gloria Sanchez Prods.

Thurber, coming off last summer's breakout hit We're the Millers, is very much in demand and is meeting with Disney to direct Overnight, penned by 22 Jump Street's Oren Uziel about a father and son who spend the night in a lavish toy store (Disney owns Marvel).

Tyler   

To be directed by Peyton Reed (Yes Man, The Break-Up, Bring It On), with work from Adam McKay on the script.

Marvel's press release:

When Marvel's "Ant-Man" hits theaters July 17, 2015, director Peyton Reed will help shepherd the hero into the Marvel Cinematic Universe with a cast led by Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas, with writer Adam McKay contributing to the film's script.

Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, con-man Scott Lang (Rudd) must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas), protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.

As /Film notes, the release doesn't mention Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, or Eric Pearson (whose rewrites allegedly led to Wright leaving).
Edited by Tyler

Anders   

Peyton Reed was attached to a version of the Fantastic Four at one point, so he's obviously interested in superheroes. Also, you neglect his best film in your parenthetical filmography: DOWN WITH LOVE (yup, even better than BRING IT ON. Nope, I'm not being ironic). If I can't have Edgar Wright, this might be an interesting choice.

Tyler   

Ant-Man-Comic-Con_612x942.jpg

Entertainment Weekly:

That's Paul Rudd taking on the central role of Scott Lang, a thief who, according to the comics, stole the technology behind the shrinking suit from the original Ant-Man, Hank Pym.

And there's Michael Douglas, joining the Marvel universe as Pym, a scientist with Tony Stark-levels of ingenuity. He not only builds a miniaturizing mechanism, but also constructs a method of communicating with tiny creatures. (Better to have them on your side than trying to eat you.)

Although Lang steals the suit to make it easier to sneak in and grab other things of value, he has a noble side the movie will surely emphasize. Even when you are microscopic, there can be a big reluctant-hero arc.

Adam McKay:

[Rudd] called me when Edgar Wright stepped away from the project and told me what was going on.  I went and met with Marvel, and I was a little dubious just because I’m friends with Edgar and I didn’t know what the story was, and then when I kind of heard what happened, that Edgar had parted ways, and then I saw their materials, I was like, ‘God this is pretty cool’.  Ultimately I didn’t want to jump in as a director, I had too many other projects going and it was too tight, but I thought, ‘You know what, I can rewrite this, and I can do a lot of good by rewriting it.’ . . .

I’ve always known Paul Rudd’s a really good writer from improvising with him on set, but I had no idea he was that good—he’s really great with dialogue.  So the two of us holed up in hotel rooms on the east and west coast, and I think it was like six to eight weeks we just ground it out and did a giant rewrite of the script.  I was really proud of what we did, I really thought we put some amazing stuff in there and built on an already strong script from Edgar Wright and sort of just enhanced some stuff. . . .

We added some new action beats.  I grew up on Marvel Comics so the geek in me was in heaven that I got to add a giant action sequence to the movie; I was so excited.  So we did, we added some cool new action.  There’s a lot that’s already in there from what Edgar did, there’s a lot of dialogue and character still in there. . . .

We just shaped the whole thing, we just tried to streamline it, make it cleaner, make it a little bigger, a little more aggressive, make it funnier in places—we just basically did a rewrite.  Edgar had a really good script.  But we just had a blast, and Rudd was just so much fun to write with.  I walked away saying, ‘Hey, you and I gotta write a script together.’ . . .
Edited by Peter T Chattaway