Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alvy

Jesus Christ Superstar

39 posts in this topic

Wow - what a great thread.

I agree with most of the difficulties listed above reconciling the garden scene with the Jesus portrayed in scripture. So, I'll leave that alone. Two other things I found troublesome in the play and, to change tone, several things I found encouraging.

1. Jesus line to the disciples at the arrest is one of the furthest from reality I can think of

"Don't you know that it's all over

It was nice but now it's gone

Why are you obsessed with fighting?

Stick to fishing from now on"

I don't think anyone believes Jesus thought that "it

: I think "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" is a pretty strong

: expression of doubt.

Maybe, maybe not.  The fact that Jesus is quoting scripture here does, at least, mean that even his expression of doubt (if that is what it is) is grounded in his faith.

whoops meant to respond to this in my earlier post rather than just quote is like it was my own.

FWIW I'm not sure Jesus did quote this scripture at the point of his death. It seems as likely to me that he said something similar and those OT-quote-trigger-happy gospel writers paraphrased it as a scriptural quote. They knew how Jesus fulfilled scripture, but I'm not sure Jesus hung on the cross trying to think of a scriptural allusion that summed up his emotion at that point, or that he pre-planned it. Perhaps he'd been meditating on that passage in the run up to the crucifixion knowing he was going to die so when the time came it came to mind naturally...I dunno

Matt

Would you say that every word Jesus is recorded as saying was the exact wording (with in the boundaries of translation) or do you think that in some places (such as the prayers in the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus was a distance away, or the temptations, or where different gospels have slightly different wording) the words in the gospels are paraphrased?

Matt

Found this old post on the old board whilst looking for something else.

Matt

Saw this production on Monday and to be honest was a bit disappointed. It probably does help having seen it done professionally (an earlier incarnation of the version Alvy's just seen methinks), and it was the first night, but the music was just a bit off (wrong notes forom musicians, a few missed notes and a few cases of "I can't sing that high I'll go down in stead of up").

That said we were on the third row which was probably about the best place to view it from.

I don't have much to say about it, but I will say....

1 - Was surprised that there was no visual references to The Passion in it. No entirely quite sur how this would be done, but I think they deliberately avoided any kind of nod.

2 - We had a Resurrection scene - no words but to the music of Hosanna

3 - Costumes were kind of 21st Century middle eastern - which was really good actually. The main exceptions being Annas and Caiaphas who were dressed in ery sterotypical Jewish dress...

4 - It was difficult to view the play without thinking of the anti-semitism in the Passion debate (which I'd been reading all of the last 2 weeks), and these costumes were really bad in this respect - made them look even more evil scheming and slimy. And Pilate was played as a very weak character. It diod make me think of the 2000 video version which dresses pilate as a Nazi and is played as a very strong character - even though ultimately he is swayed by fear.

Matt

A few comments on this and Godspell in my discussion of Silverscreen Beats.

Matt

Coming to LA, a one night only in concert version with Ted Neeley, Yvone Elliman and Barry Dennen (all from the film version), Ben Vereen (from Broadway production) and as King Herod..............

Jack Black

Interesting thread. Without going into all the theological mess, JCS the *album* was my introduction to Webber & Rice, and I listened to that album both as a wanna-be atheist (I'd play it for my poor unfortunate Christian friend whenever he dared show up) and then as a new Christian (I knew it was off but it comforted my new faith anyway--go figure). The album didn't have all the songs the movie did, including "Could We Start Again, Please."

Anyway, when I saw the movie I liked it very much; the "doctrinal problems" for me lessened (the album simply ends w/ an instrumental, called significantly "John 19:41" (which reads, of course, "41 Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden. In the garden was a new tomb in which no man had ever yet been laid. [Verse 42 should have been included: "Then because of the Jews' Preparation Day (for the tomb was near at hand) they laid Jesus there."]). In the movie, a symbolic scene of ambiguity occurs with a shepherd figure leading sheep. Was the shepherd Jesus? One is left to guess, but that is a better conclusion than the LP (original recording).

Anyway, I did love the album as a teen, and also Godspell which I played INCESSANTLY after becoming a Christian. I even bought the Doobie Bros album w/ "Jesus is Just Alright with Me," just so I could record it over and over on a cassette to play at my leisure. Yep, xian rock music was rare in them old days -- A few Larry Norman albums, a Barry McGuire LP... pretty thin. So I guess I did the best I could -- anything talking about Jesus was good enough for me.

It makes me smile to remember that.

Theological mess????

The album is a Holy Week ritual for me.

Alan, yes I agree that Jack Black is great casting for Herod.

Edited by Darrel Manson

Theological mess????

The album is a Holy Week ritual for me.

Alan, yes I agree that Jack Black is great casting for Herod.

I say "theological mess" with great affection. And it still moves me, for whatever mysterious set of reasons.

Paul Flesher:

When you think about Superstar, it is clear that it is a love story. The three main characters are Jesus, Mary and Judas. From the start, Mary looks after Jesus, cares for him, anoints him, and watches over his sleep. She sings about not knowing how to love him. When Judas attacks Jesus, she defends Jesus. As Jesus is led away and it is clear that Jesus

From LA Times today

"Jesus Christ" goes punk, pop

A new production of "Jesus Christ Superstar" will tour the U.S. and Canada this summer with a truly odd cast of mixed-and matched pop stars, including Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child as Mary Magdalene and John Lydon--formerly known as Sex Pistols frontman Johnny Rotten-- in the role of King Herod.

The show will feature Brandon Boyd, the hunky frontman of L.A.'s Incubus, as Judas Iscariot, in addition to 'N Sync's JC Chasez, who will play Pontius Pilate. The role of Jesus himself will be filled by Ben Forster, the winner of the British reality TV competition who has played Jesus on earlier tours of the rock opera.

Described as "an arena spectacular," the show . . . is expected to kick off June 9 in New Orleans. Scheduled Southland dates include July 20 at Anaheim's Honda Center and July 26 at Staples Center.

A new production of "Jesus Christ Superstar" will tour the U.S. and Canada this summer with a truly odd cast of mixed-and matched pop stars, including Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child as Mary Magdalene and John Lydon--formerly known as Sex Pistols frontman Johnny Rotten-- in the role of King Herod.

The tour was canceled, a little over a week before it was set to begin.

Ben Forster, a 33-year-old British actor, was preparing for the biggest break of his career as he rehearsed the title role for an ambitious arena tour of “Jesus Christ Superstar” that was to have its first performance here at the Lakefront Arena on June 9.

That was Thursday. On Friday, Mr. Forster, an ensemble of celebrity performers and a cast and crew of about 300 learned that they were all out of work. The tour, which was to play more than 50 cities in North America over the summer, was canceled without warning or explanation.

“For me, it was the American dream about to happen,” Mr. Forster said in an interview on Friday night. “What’s that Miley Cyrus song, ‘Wrecking Ball’? I feel like someone just came in and took a big wrecking ball to the ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ tour.”