Ron wrote:

: For a good decade or so, a LOT of movies were shot here . . .

Um, why the past tense? Vancouver-shot movies appear on the big screen all the time (recent examples include Fantastic Four, The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, Saved!, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, etc.; and just this morning, I talked to someone who had had dinner last night with Ralph Winter, who is in town prepping X-Men 3). The problem is, these films almost always use Vancouver to play OTHER cities. What MattPage is talking about, I think, is something different: namely the way a film gets the geography wrong when a city plays ITSELF. And for THAT, I think the most recent Vancouver-lensed transgressor would have to be Are We There Yet?.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to agree with Andrew and mrmondo on this one. Millions was brilliant.

Here's my review (witten back in April when I saw it).

Edited by finnegan

I have a blog? here at A&F that I sometimes post in.

Nice write-up, finn! Welcome aboard.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

• 3 months later...

Circle November 1 on your calendars. That's when Millions arrives on DVD.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I missed it in theaters, unfortunately, but I hear that it is indeed one of the year's best movies. I think there was a commerical for it on the DVD release of Napoleon Dynamite.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

It's at the top of my Netflix cue. Can't wait to see it again.

I have a blog? here at A&F that I sometimes post in.

• 2 weeks later...

Millions came from Netflix today--shipped yesterday. Nothing to complain about with that service. I've already peeked at the featurettes, and they're not earthshaking, but pleasing reminders of the film, and include some interesting insights into the writer's and director's choices for casting and other elements.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again and sharing it with some friends and relatives who missed it when it was in theaters.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

We bought it and watched it last night. Just as wonderful the second time around. I'd forgotten just how funny the movie is, such as when Joseph The Worker leans in and says Damien's line during the play: "This is where our Lord baby Jesus will be born". Cracks me up everytime.

The special features are a mixed bag, IMHO. The "Behind The Scenes" featurettes seem a little random, like they took several different featurettes and just mixed and matched parts from them to make these featurettes.

The deleted scenes have several hidden gems, though I can see why they were cut (such as the extended scene with

Dorothy taking the money and everyone thinking that she's stolen it, when in fact she's just took an early start on spending and converting it

). My favorite deleted scene, however, is an alternate version of the scene where Damien hides in the attic at his old house. There's this wonderful, beautiful shot of all of the saints we've encountered praying over this scared little boy as he hides.

While I can understand why they cut that shot with the saints - it does somewhat undermine the tension of the scene - it's a beautiful shot in and of itself, and now one of my fave scenes in the movie, deleted or otherwise.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

We recently caught Millions on DVD (a screener, so no bonus features and with a picture that occasionally goes to B&W), and I have to say that as much as I enjoyed it, the film tried just a little too hard for me. It could have been amazing, but a few misfires along the way kept this rocket out of the stratosphere for me. I'll watch it again, though, and I expect it's one that will be more satisfying on repeated viewings.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

• 1 month later...

Saw this last night via Netflix. My wife and I really enjoyed it--thought it quite a pleasant and enriching little flick. Don't want to repeat a lot of what's already been said, but I thought Nesbitt did a fine job protraying a widower, from the repression of his grief (moving from the house, the pillows--which worked for me, to the way he interacts with the boys, his abandonment of God). The thread of grief weaves all through the film: the way Anthony deals with his loss by seeking to protect his own interests almost clinically--sitting in front of his computer, buying a hedge of protection around him on his way to school (now that makes a nice contrast to the saints praying over Damien deleted scene that Opus highlights). Counterpoint to Anthony, Damien's faith in the saints helps him "move on" in the fullest way one should--he asks each saint whether they've met St Maureen yet, because he fully expects that they will have met her, and he expects to see her yet again.

Arghhh crying ten week old demands attention, well hope to finish these thoughts later.

I'm reminded of something else I liked about the film: the names of the boys: Anthony for St. Anthony, who apparently is associated with helping people find or acquire things: our dept. admin. asst. has a little rhyming prayer to him which she's found very helpful, and the St. Anthony Messenger has St. Anthony presiding over their search engine. Damien, on the other hand, is named after one of the saints legendary for charity and self-sacrifice.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

The only good thing about being sick (as a family), besides the kids sleeping a little more, is the ability to catch up on some movies.

I currently have this lined up for the weekend, if not tonight.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this on DVD and thought it was WONDERFUL. The kid is awesome. We have all been given a great gift here.

I also wish there had been another way they could have communicated message of sharing and people working together without reinterpreting one of Jesus' miracles. But some people feel the need to liberate Christianity from things like "contingency upon an actual existance of a theistic God" (some of the same people who think that the social gospel is the only gospel). I think it's just the filmmaker's viewpoint, consistent with other themes of the movie. It's just that things like that will keep me from being able to wholeheartedly recommend it to some people.

I thought it was funny how the saints had the same distinctive accents as the actors. Who know St. Pete had such a thick brogue?

BTW, as opus mentioned, the Deleted Scenes showed a number of scenes that would have given the movie a more serious tone if included. Seems like they could have gone a couple different ways with this movie. But they sure did the right thing by going with "childlike innocence", didn't they?

I also found it refreshing that in the behind-the-scenes interviews they talked about how beautiful the lead actress was. She was pretty, but not in a "plastic surgery Hollywood" way... more in an "I am a real person" way. Thank you, UK, for trying to maintain sanity. (OH NO, HDTV MEANS MORE ROUNDS OF PLASTIC SURGERY FOR EVERYONE! Sorry about that.)

This verse seems to sum up Damian for me perfectly:

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."

One of my favorite (recurring) quotes from the movie:

"Are you poor?" [upon hearing the affirmative, scampers away in delight]

My wife's favorite quote (approximate wording, said by Damian with great wonder):

"Joseph the Worker, first century AD, dates uncertain"

• 1 month later...

If they put it in a three-DVD package with Because of Winn-Dixie, then maybe SDG could sue for a share of the profits. Cuz, like, it was sort of his idea and all. :)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 years later...

I've forgotten to mention: This book has been published.

It contains my interview with Boyle from his promotional tour for Millions.

I wish they'd given it a bit of a polish. They took the interview from my blog and didn't check it for typos. But there it is... warts and all.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.