Oscars 2005: Animated Feature

I guess we can be grateful that The Polar Express didn't make the cut ... but yeah, Shark Tale really does NOT deserve to be on this list ... and that means the Oscar will go to someone who's already got one (the original Shrek was the first movie to ever win this award, and Pixar's last film, Finding Nemo, picked up the Oscar in this category last year).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

It's also the most thoroughly uncreative list this "category" has yet produced. Three mainstream Hollywood flicks... This category is moving from a slap in the face to animation to also being completley derivative.

Phil.

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

I guess we can be grateful that The Polar Express didn't make the cut ... but yeah, Shark Tale really does NOT deserve to be on this list...

Even though I gave Shark Tale a half star more than The Polar Express, I must confess I would rather see Polar Express on the list than Shark Tale. Shark Tale is unambiguously, unarguably a shallow, flashy entertainment; The Polar Express tries to be more, and reasonable opinion may feel that it achieves more (though I don't). I sympathize with Ebert, who wrote:

And "The Polar Express" was snowed out in the animated category by "Shark Tale," which was just plain wrong.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

: It's also the most thoroughly uncreative list this "category"

: has yet produced. Three mainstream Hollywood flicks... This

: category is moving from a slap in the face to animation to

: also being [completely] derivative.

But it's not as though there's a (as a Disney movie starring Robin Williams might say) diamond in the rough among the other films even eligible:

Clifford

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Other than The Legend of Buddha, which I know nothing about, none of these got better than ho-hum reviews from critics.

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

I suspect it's more like the world cinema category -- though I don't think there's anything officially stopping anyone from nominating a documentary for Best Picture, either.

Incidentally, as I was tracking all the Best Picture nominees of the past 35 years last night, I discovered that a Swedish film called The Emigrants was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film in 1972, and was then nominated for Best Picture, Director, Actress and Screenplay in 1973. I guess that's what happens when the more specialized categories have their own, more unique, set of criteria.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.