Oscars 2005: Actor in a Supporting Role

Previous experience suggests that two acting nominations in the same year split an actor's vote and deny them either award almost automatically. (Note the robbing of Julianne Moore for Far from Heaven) I don't think it'll happen this time around as there's *such* a buzz for Foxx's work in Ray. I'm pretty certain he won't be getting a look in here.

It's gotta be da man Owen. Proof that appearences in dodgy BBC dramas, Bruckheimer films and even FMV computer games don't have to ruin your career.

Phil.

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

Actually, while I'm admittedly not sure about male actors, I do know that female actors used to have a tradition of winning the Best Supporting Actress Oscar whenever they were nominated for Best Actress as well -- I first heard about this pattern when Jessica Lange was nominated simultaneously for Frances and Tootsie in 1982. But then Sigourney Weaver was nominated for Gorillas in the Mist and Working Girl in 1987, and lost both awards to other actresses, so so much for THAT theory.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I do know that female actors used to have a tradition of winning the Best Supporting Actress Oscar whenever they were nominated for Best Actress as well -- I first heard about this pattern when Jessica Lange was nominated simultaneously for Frances and Tootsie in 1982.  But then Sigourney Weaver was nominated for Gorillas in the Mist and Working Girl in 1987, and lost both awards to other actresses, so so much for THAT theory.

Hmmm... I wouldn't go so far as to call it a tradition. On quick investigation it *does* happen more often than I would have expected (although when Holly Hunter did it in 1993 she won Best Actress for The Piano over her supporting nomination for The Firm) but the number of actresses who miss out as a result is just as high.

But, like I say, what's more important in Foxx's case is that there is such considerable buzz for Ray. The BBC reckon that Closer might be too dark for the Academy's tastes and hence they're favouring Alan Alda. Not sure I agree; but I would be surprised if both Portman and Owen won. On that basis, I think Owen's got the better chance.

Phil.

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

there's *such* a buzz for Foxx's work in Ray. I'm pretty certain he won't be getting a look in here.

Anyone think the only reason Foxx was even nominated in this category is because he's riding the Ray wave?

Just caught Collateral this weekend, and enjoyed it. But award-worthy? Foxx is a good actor, no doubt, but I thought he was better in Any Given Sunday. And anyway, was he even a supporting actor in Collateral? If anything, Cruise's hit man was the supporting character since Foxx's Max had more screen time (I think, I didn't actually time it) and the only thing resembling character development.

The Academy has a screwy history of nominating leads in supporting categories and vice versa (The Hours?), but I hate it when they give an actor two nominations in one year based on career momentum.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

I can see the rationale: if an actor gives two noteworthy performances in two wildly different roles in the same year then, logically, at least one of them must constitute great acting. Often, though, that means just one nomination (Jim Broadbent in 2001 springs to mind. It could be argued that his Oscar was as much for his work on Moulin Rouge! as it was for Iris) but sometimes it results in double dipping.

What has surpirsed me about Foxx's double nomination is that there has been *so much* buzz about his role in Ray (like Charlize Theron's in Monster) last year that the Collateral nomination seems unnecessary. I agree with your point about leading/not leading. But the poster billing, and the studio's campaign, said differently smile.gif

Phil.

Well heck. As a fan of Foxx, I remember the buzz for supporting role started with the release of Collateral a few months before Ray. It was as if this guy who had started on "In Living Color" and had done a number of seedy African American comedies had finally gotten notice from critics, despite other great performances in films like The Great White Hype (one of the few bright spots) and On Any Sunday.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed that Foxx is getting his due. The Collateral nomination wouldn't bother me if he got it in another year ... say, Collateral came out in 2003, the Academy nominated him, then he gives this star-making performance in Ray and gets a best actor nomination the following year. But like Phil said, the Collateral nomination this year seems unnecessary, and it's kind of de-valued because it seems like a jumping on the bandwagon thing.

Put it this way - let's say Foxx switched Collateral roles with Mark Ruffalo, a terrific actor who's never been nominated. I'd bet the Academy would STILL nominate Foxx for the cop character and ignore Ruffalo again.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman