Oscars 2005: Actress in a Leading Role

The Canadian publicists are making a big deal of the fact that Annette Bening is now the first actor of either gender to be nominated for a role in a Canadian film. (Mind you, it's directed by a Hungarian and takes place in England... but it's the source of the film's financing that counts, I think.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Winslet being Eternal Sunshine's only acting nod is a welcome surprise, but she wasn't the best thing in that film. And, sorry Canada, but Bening's work in Being Julia ain't all *that.*

I'm flying the flag for Imelda Staunton but something tells me that Million Dollar Baby will pluck a few unexpected categories and Swank could well be one of them.

Phil.

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

Note, incidentally, that this is the ONLY acting category this year in which there are no black nominations. Indeed, FIVE of the twenty available spots went to black actors this year (two Best Actors: Don Cheadle and Jamie Foxx; two Best Supporting Actors: Jamie Foxx and Morgan Freeman; and one Best Supporting Actress: Sophie Okonedo), which I'm guessing is a record.

On the other hand, this category DOES have the only Hispanic acting nomination of the year.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Whoops, turns out other actors HAVE been nominated for at least one other "Canadian" film before. The publicist just sent out a "correction" informing us that Burt Lancaster and Susan Sarandon were nominated for Atlantic City in 1982.

Hey, wow! MARIA made it on here! Good for her.

What's going on with all the foreign language nominations this year? Seems like more than usual to me. Is the Academy trying to pull for change or am I just now noticing something?

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

stef wrote:

: What's going on with all the foreign language nominations this year? Seems like more

: than usual to me. Is the Academy trying to pull for change or am I just now noticing

: something?

The latter.

Looking just at Best Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actor, Actress, and Supporting categories, we find that there is usually at least one non-English-language nominee.

This year, it is Maria Full of Grace's lead actress, as well as The Motorcycle Diaries' screenplay.

Last year, it was City of God's director and writer, as well as The Barbarian Invasions' screenplay.

In 2002, it was Talk to Her director and writer Pedro Almodovar (who won for his screenplay), as well as Y Tu Mama Tambien's screenplay.

In 2001, it was Amelie's screenplay.

In 2000, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was nominated for picture, director, and screenplay; Before Night Falls for Javier Bardem's lead acting; and Traffic's Benicio Del Toro won for a role that had dialogue mostly in Spanish, IIRC. (And was there any foreign-language dialogue in Chocolat?)

In 1999 ... well, whaddayaknow, all the nominees were English-language.

In 1998, Life Is Beautiful won for acting and was also nominated for picture, director, and writing, while Central Station was nominated for its lead actress.

In 1997 ... well, whaddayaknow, all the nominees were English-language.

In 1996 ... well, whaddayaknow, all the nominees were English-language.

In 1995, The Postman was nominated for picture, director, actor, and screenplay.

In 1994, Three Colours: Red was nominated for director and screenplay.

So that covers the past decade, at least. I suspect there may have been even more foreign nominees during the heady days of the '60s and '70s.

Of course, some wags might argue that Spanish isn't really a "foreign" language in the United States any more, in which case a lot of these films wouldn't count any more.

I knew I could count on you Peter, from the moment I posted that question. But still, this seems like more than the usual in categories that are not Best Foreign Language Film:

Actress - Catalina Sandino Moreno - MARIA FULL OF GRACE

Score - John Debney - THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST (foreign language but intended for English speaking Christians)

Documentary - BORN INTO BROTHELS (well, kind of a foreign language film, then again maybe not)

Makeup - Keith Vanderlaan and Christien Tinsley - THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST and Jo Allen and Manuel Garc

Okay, stef, just for you ... and because I have no pressing deadlines today or tomorrow ... I am tallying up all the nominations for non-English-language feature films (not counting the Foreign Language Film category, obviously; this run-down also excludes Documentaries and Shorts):

2005 -- 11 -- Les Choristes (1), House of Flying Daggers (1), Maria Full of Grace (1), The Motorcycle Diaries (2), The Passion of the Christ (3), The Sea Inside (1), A Very Long Engagement (2)

2004 -- 7 -- The Barbarian Invasions (1), City of God (4), The Triplets of Belleville (2)

2003 -- 4 -- Spirited Away (1) Talk to Her (2), Y Tu Mama Tambien (1) -- also: The Pianist

2002 -- 4 -- Amelie (4)

2001 -- 12 -- Before Night Falls (1), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (9), Malena (2) -- also: Traffic, Chocolat

2000 -- 1 -- The Red Violin (1)

1999 -- 8 -- Central Station (1), Life Is Beautiful (7)

1998 -- 0

1997 -- 0

1996 -- 6 -- Il Postino (5), Shanghai Triad (1)

1995 -- 4 -- Queen Margot (1), Three Colours: Red (3)

1994 -- 1 -- Farewell My Concubine (1)

1993 -- 1 -- Indochine (1) -- also: The Mambo Kings

1992 -- 2 -- Europa Europa (1), Madame Bovary (1)

1991 -- 4 -- Cyrano de Bergerac (4)

1990 -- 1 -- Camille Claudel (1)

1989 -- 1 -- Pelle the Conqueror (1)

1988 -- 4 -- Au revoir les enfants (1), Dark Eyes (1), My Life as a Dog (2)

1987 -- 1 -- Otello (1) -- also: Salvador

1986 -- 5 -- The Official Story (1), Ran (4)

1985 -- 1 -- El Norte (1)

1984 -- 6 -- Fanny and Alexander (5), The Return of Martin Guerre (1)

1983 -- 9 -- Das Boot (6), La Traviata (2), Quest for Fire (1) -- also: Missing, Yes Giorgio

1982 -- 0

1981 -- 2 -- Kagemusha (1), My American Uncle (1) -- also: The Formula

1980 -- 3 -- La Cage aux folles (3)

1979 -- 2 -- Autumn Sonata (2)

1978 -- 2 -- Una Giornata particolare (1), That Obscure Object of Desire (1)

1977 -- 9 -- Cousin cousine (2), Face to Face (2), Fellini's Casanova (2), Seven Beauties (3)

1976 -- 6 -- Amarcord (2), The Magic Flute (1), The Story of Adele H (1), Scent of a Woman (1), Toute une vie (1)

1975 -- 3 -- Day for Night (3) -- also: The Godfather Part II

1974 -- 8 -- Cries and Whispers (5), Last Tango in Paris (2), Ludwig II (1)

1973 -- 6 -- The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1), The Emigrants (4), Murmur of the Heart (1) -- also: Images

1972 -- 5 -- Chiakovsky (1), The Conformist (1), Death in Venice (1), The Garden of the Finzi-Continis (1), Investigation of a Citizen above Suspicion (1)

1971 -- 3 -- I Girasoli (1), My Night at Maud's (1), Satyricon (1)

So ... long story short ... in the 34 years that I have been alive, there has never before been a year in which SEVEN non-English-language feature films were nominated for awards other than Foreign Language Film, and in 2001, the only year when more than 11 nominations were handed out to such films, they were divided between only three films -- indeed, we have to go back at least to 1977 to find another year in which there were more than three films nominated in these categories.

One thing to keep in mind, perhaps, is the number of available nominations per year -- though it doesn't seem like that would make THAT much difference. For example, in 1971, there were 82 nominations in 17 categories (basically, 5 nominations per category except for the visual-effects category, which had 2), whereas in 2005, there are 87 nominations in 19 categories (basically, 5 nominations per category in 15 categories, and 3 nominations per category in 4 categories).

Note, incidentally, that this is the ONLY acting category this year in which there are no black nominations.  Indeed, FIVE of the twenty available spots went to black actors this year (two Best Actors: Don Cheadle and Jamie Foxx; two Best Supporting Actors: Jamie Foxx and Morgan Freeman; and one Best Supporting Actress: Sophie Okonedo), which I'm guessing is a record.

Yup, according to USA Today, this is a record year for black acting nominees. The past record was three, which happened in 2001 (Denzel Washington, Best Actor for Training Day; Will Smith, Actor nominee for Ali; Halle Berry, Best Actress for Monster's Ball); 1985 (Whoopi Goldberg, Actress nominee, Oprah Winfrey and Margaret Avery, Supporting Actress nominees, all for The Color Purple); and 1972 (Paul Winfield and Cicely Tyson, actor and actress nominees for Sounder; Diana Ross, actress nominee for Lady Sings the Blues).

My hat's off to you, as well, Peter (and to Baal T'Shuvah) for your encyclopedic abilities!!

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Cool Points for Eternity, Peter. You are truly a remarkable individual.

My point? Someone out there is starting to wake up. I've also noticed more foreigns available in Blockbuster than ever before, and I mean only in the last six months. It could be because they wanted to compete with Netflix, who I'd imagine, at least at that time, was stealing their customers. But now I'm thinking exactly what I said -- that people are finally waking up to foreign language films. Which, IMO, is such good news that I can now finally go to sleep with a smile on my face. smile.gif

-s.

Mark wrote:

: Yup, according to USA Today, this is a record year for black acting nominees. The past

: record was three, which happened in 2001 (Denzel Washington, Best Actor for Training

: Day; Will Smith, Actor nominee for Ali; Halle Berry, Best Actress for Monster's Ball);

: 1985 (Whoopi Goldberg, Actress nominee, Oprah Winfrey and Margaret Avery,

: Supporting Actress nominees, all for The Color Purple); and 1972 (Paul Winfield and

: Cicely Tyson, actor and actress nominees for Sounder; Diana Ross, actress nominee

: for Lady Sings the Blues).

Hey, don't forget 1993, when Laurence Fishburne and Angela Bassett were nominated for What's Love Got to Do with It and Rosie Perez was nominated for Fearless! (Okay, Perez is only PART black -- but then so is Halle Berry.)

Actually, I had no idea Perez is half black (and apparently, neither does USA Today!).

Also interesting to me that in those afore-mentioned years when there were three black nominees, all the roles except one (Denzel Washington's in Training Day) were specifically "black roles." This year, two of the five nominated performances (Collateral and Million Dollar Baby) could have been played by an actor of any race.

Progress?

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

• 4 weeks later...

Here

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker