Oscars 2005: Art Direction

I agree, Alan, one of the many Incredible(s) oversights. And what's Phantom doing here? Sure, it *looks* pretty but that's one of the few redeeming aspects of the film. And all that gloss is one of the reasons why the film is a colossal stinker. Surely if the production values add nothing to the film then it doesn't deserve the award? If we're looking for the film whose production value adds considerably to its atmosphere and effectiveness, then it's Very Long Engagement all the way.

Funnily enough I'd been under the impression (maybe very misguidedly) that this was how Oscar voters perceived this and the cinematography awards, rather than as prizes for making pretty things. Perhaps I've been mistaken.

Phil.

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

I pretty much expected TPOTO to come out on this one, but then I didn't think it was a stinker, just not great, but the set design was amazing, and there' othing wrong IMHO with just making things look pretty.

Matt