Oscars 2005: Cinematography

Haven't seen The Aviator. Probably won't see Le Phantom. Of the remaining three I cannot vote in this category. I would hope it's either House of Flying Daggers of A Very Long Engagement. They were both remarkable.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Wait a second. Three of the five in this category are foreign language films. That's gotta be a first.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 1 month later...

This is the category that interests me most, so I did some research.

The ASC award this year went to A Very Long Engagement. The only other 'strong' contenders among their nominees were The Aviator and The Passion of the Christ.

BUT...

Caleb Deschanel has been nominated for five Oscars and never won. I know a lot has been made about the Academy giving awards for previous work as much as for current achievements.

BUT...

Whatever else you might say about the film, the cinematography for House of Flying Daggers was superb. Oddly enough it's the only film in this bunch that I've seen.

So, I predict the Oscar will go to... a movie that is not the Phantom. Aside from that, I don't know. If A Very Long Engagement can beat out The Aviator and The Passion of the Christ for an ASC award, I'd say it's probably the frontrunner for this. I would not be at all surprised of House... won though.