Oscars 2005: Foreign Language Film

Interesting that two of the nominated films (France's Les Choristes and Sweden's As It Is in Heaven) are about choirs. The former film is now playing in American theatres, while the latter film has the following synopsis on the Oscars website: "Daniel Dareus, a talented conductor recovering from a heart attack, returns to the community where he spent his youth. As he confronts his past demons, Daniel also upsets the insular town's social balance when he takes over as leader of the church choir." Hmmm, sounds like something we might want to talk about, when it comes out here. (DANIEL DAREUS? That's gotta symbolize SOMEthing ... the town as lions' den, perhaps?)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I haven't seen any of these. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that The Sea Inside is going to blow everything else out of the water.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.