Oscars 2005: Music (Score)

"An original score is a substantial body of music in the form of dramatic underscoring written specifically for the film by the submitting composer."

John Williams gets his usual nom, but where is Howard Shore for The Aviator??

Say WHAT? Peter Gabriel has never been nominated for an Oscar, yet the John Debney score that rips off Gabriel's music for The Last Temptation of Christ gets a nod? Blecch.

And I say this as one who finally heard the entire Debney score for the first time just a few weeks ago. It is remarkable how formless and void that CD is, for the most part -- it gets the atmospherics of Gabriel's music, but not much else.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I... (loser)... liked... (filmsnobminuscoolpoints)... the music in The Passion... and... (bomb)... hope it... (rejectoVentura)... wins?

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 4 weeks later...

Voted for The Village, but this is an extremely weak bunch for Best Score. I agree with this:

Say WHAT? Peter Gabriel has never been nominated for an Oscar, yet the John Debney score that rips off Gabriel's music for The Last Temptation of Christ gets a nod? Blecch.

and would add that in my opinion, The Passion as sacred art works very poorly with this music, which has no connection to any sacred tradition that I know of.

That's just how eye roll.