Films about art and art-making.

Exit Through The Gift Shop

Beautiful Losers

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Art School Confidential

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

• 1 month later...

Artemisia

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I don't deny that there should be priests to remind men that they will one day die. I only say it is necessary to have another kind of priests, called poets, to remind men that they are not dead yet. - G. K. Chesterton

• 5 weeks later...

During Kenneth Turan's presenation at Whitehead Film Festival, he showed Who AM I This Time? (made for PBS American Playhouse in the early 80s, directed by Jonathan Demme, staring Susan Sarandon and Christopher Walken.) In our discussion it was noted that this reflects a love of theater. It's fun. And you can stream it at Netflix.

Edited by Darrel Manson
A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

My favorite movie about artists is The Horse's Mouth staring Alec Guiness as a shifty, dishonest, obsessive artist. The movie is hilarious, not something you can say about most movies about artists.

Yes! The Horse's Mouth is a riot. Jimson is one of best characters ever by Alec Guinness, second only to Colonel Nicholson.

This is the fascinating rascal that Mr. Guinness has brightly crystallized out of Mr. Cary's novel—a clever conniver and a rogue, a fellow without normal scruples or sentimentality, but a gallant, heroic old scrapper for the one thing in which he believes. That is to give expression to the color that flames in his mind. And that is what he fights for through the picture and what we hope he'll go on doing at the end.

I don't know if it's because I also saw him play Father Brown, but Guinness's Jimson always seems to me like one of those fanatical/crazy/adventurer/artist/William Blake poetry spouting characters who acts like he just walked right off the pages of a G.K. Chesterton novel. It's hard to describe how just simply fun this one is. Now I'm going to have that delightful Sergei Prokofiev "Lieutenant Kije" tune stuck in my head for a week.

Jimson: Half a minute of revelation is worth a million years of know-nothing.

Coker: Who lives a million years?

Jimson: A million people every twelve months.

Edited by Persiflage

Forgive me if Hour of the Wolf was already mentioned here. I did a quick scan of previous posts, but didn't notice this title.

Granted, we never see any of Johan's (Max von Sydow) work actually shown (other than brief, out of focus glimpses of work hanging in his cottage studio), but I did love Johan's attempt to downplay his chosen profession as something that was thrust upon him by something within him that he doesn't truly understand. Paraphrasing here...

"I call myself an artist for lack of a better name. In my creative work is nothing implicit, except compulsion. Through no fault of mine I've been pointed out as something extraordinary, a calf with five legs, a monster."

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 3 months later...

Some docs most of us know but haven't yet been mentioned in the thread: In The Realms of the Unreal, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, Marwencol.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Ummmmm.... Man on Fire....

Rayburn (Christopher Walken): A man can be an artist... in anything, food, whatever. It depends on how good he is at it. Creasey's art is death. He's about to paint his masterpiece.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

• 7 months later...

I'm not going to launch a separate thread because I can't go into the depth the movie deserves, but A&F needs a thread about Cutie and the Boxer. If you want to watch an excellent movie about art and art-making -- maybe about marriage, too -- that one has to be added to the list.

My only struggle is figuring out whether some of these shots were staged or recreated. It's hard to believe the camera captured certain moments as they happened. I don't know enough about the making of the film to have sufficient insight into that matter.  

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 5 months later...