Sign in to follow this  
Tim Willson

Amazing Race 7

Who do you think will WIN the AMAZING RACE?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

EDIT: This first post is being edited to reflect which teams remain and which are eliminated (unless anyone here objects).

spoilers1.gifspoilers1.gifspoilers1.gif

The 7th Amazing Race begins March 1, 2005.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race7/

Among the 11 teams:

-Uchenna & Joyce are married, from Houston, Enron & Worldcom survivors... formerly bankrupt and unemployed. If they win, more in-vitro... (they desperately want kids).

-Rob & Amber need no introduction. Engaged, and 2-time "Survivors" (Amber won Survivor All Stars, Rob was 2nd).GONE.

-Ron & Kelly are a dating team from Georgia and South Carolina;Ron is a former Iraq War POW and current student/motivational speaker. Kelly was Miss South Carolina (2002), now a Legislative Correspondent. (Baptist Press has an article here.)GONE.

-Meredith & Gretchen are a retired husband/wife team from Maryland, the oldest couple ever on TAR (69 & 66).GONE.

-Lynn & Alex (both executive assistants) are a gay couple California. Lynn & Alex both work as executive assistants. (One reason to go on the race is "to possibly get married in Amsterdam"; Alex's family does not yet know he is gay.)GONE.

-Brian (actor) & Greg (bouncer) are brothers from California.GONE.

-Ray (stockbroker) & Deana (marketing) are Ohio, dating off and on.GONE.

-Susan & Patrick are the first mother/son Team in the history of THE AMAZING RACE. She's a law prof, he's a gay Hollywood writer. GONE.

-Debbie (a photographer) and Bianca (a high school teacher)are best friends from LA and Virginia. GONE.

-Megan (fashion designer) & Heidi (full-time mom) are roommates from California. GONE.

-Ryan (a general contractor) & Chuck (sales) are lifelong friends from South Carolina, and both describe themselves as 'very religious'. GONE.

Edited by Tim Willson

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

WHAT!?!?!?

NO MODELS???

Seriously, this looks like a hopeful season.

...As long as they stick to the drama of the race and not veer off into other things like, say, "Oh, will the gay couple get married during the race or not?" Then it might get a little too political for my tastes.

My hope with the Rob/Ambah thing is that it ceases to be a stunt after the first leg, and they get down to actually racing. No stars in their eyes, just flat-out racing.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Starts tonight.

Alas, we are without cable presently, so we're relying on the VCRs of friends. (But since our kitchen counters are being installed today, I'll be plumbing in a sink and dishwasher tonight anyway...)

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

May the best team win, as long as it's not Rob and Amber smile.gif

Are we all onboard this season??

It it still a given that this thread will contain spoilers1.gif ? Do we need to add a blanket warning somewhere?

Anyway, I'm appreciating the lack of oodles and oodles of actors and models. And surprise, surprise! Rom and Ambah didn't bug as much as I thought they would. Not yet, anyway.

Rob's accent is nearly identical to my manager's accent, which unfortunately sets me against from the start. Not his fault. But based on next week's preview where he smugly winks at the camera kinda sets me against him too. That just bugs me.

I've decided that I enjoy these things much better when there are only a handful of people I can keep track of. With that said, I liked most of the teams so far. The two, I'll call them "pretty boys", from LA irritated me with some of their comments towards the blondes, but other than that no one really bothered me. Yet. smile.gif

The bunching didn't seem quite as bad this first episode. Hopefully it will stay like that in future episodes.

Subtlety is underrated

They had far too much video of the drive from Long Beach to LAX. I'm surprised no one debated routes. Given the mess at the 710/405 interchange, I'd have given thought to going to the 105. Of course if they started on a weekend, it probably wouldn't have mattered. (also since you're going to all be on 2 flights, and then end up with everyone staying on the beach at night, it doesn't matter either)

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

This looks like it will be an interesting season. To their credit, Rob and Amber look like they'll be strong competitors. I expect them to play for the camera quite a bit, but they haven't been too annoying, yet. And I couldn't get past the resemblance between the blonds and Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie.

The race for the final spot to advance to next week was quite close; it was a true footrace, not just editing trickery to make it look close. And the Peruvian scenery was quite beautiful.

-Megan (fashion designer) & Heidi (full-time mom) are roommates from California.
My wife's comment: a weird barbie doll twin girls (are they clones, or lesbians or truly just roommates?)
-Ray (stockbroker) & Deana (marketing) are Ohio, dating off and on.

They certainly have the makings to be this season's Jonathon and Victoria.

-from the film
Armin

My wife's comment:  a weird barbie doll twin girls (are they clones, or lesbians or truly just roommates?)

Lesbians? There are lesbians in this Race? I didn't notice; I was too busy trying to figure out if there were two, or three, gay guys. But I always get sidetracked like that in the early-going.

I saw only the second hour of last night's episode. Kind of fun.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

A gay couple and a gay guy with his mother.

-from the film
Armin

Yeah, it was the son that I was wondering about, but I missed the first hour and didn't know he had identified himself as a gay man.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Orientation was included in the bio's provided on the official website -- first post in this thread. Although Meagan and Heidi were a bit affectionate (te amo, said one to the other in one scene), they did not self-identify as more than room-mates.

The CrimsonLine family just watched the premiere - it was a great start. It had a lot of things I like about the Race, and very little that I hate. There was almost no bunching - even the night on the beach didn't put all of them in the same place at the end, they left the beach at different times. Taxi luck was a huge factor, which is true to life. Rob and Ambah were hammy but great - they are competitors through and through. I liked the brothers, and the hicks who were eliminated. The two all-girl teams were tough to tell apart at first, until the glamour-girls showed themselves gorgeous but incompetent, and the roommates showed themselves gorgeous but highly competent. I was shocked the glamour girls were not eliminated. There was gorgeous scenery (no, not the glamour girls - PERU!) some interesting tasks, a competetive finale, and even a big shock - YOU HAVE WON TEN THOUSAND EACH! Bang! That'll make the Race for first place more interesting.

We've taken an early dislike to the Dating off and on couple, and to the fay boys. There's a lot of people in the "meh" column, and then some great folks. POW and Beauty Queeen need to get their stuff together. But there was no one to loathe, which is a relief.

All in all, a good episode of a great show. May it stay great all season long!!

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I was thinking that one thing I liked is that there are no "models" in the race this time. I think that one of the brothers is an aspiring actor, but even with him we've got a good slate of "normal" contestants. Rather refreshing.

Rob and Amber are already dominating. So, what exactly did Rob do to be accused of lying? I somehow missed that part.

Kudos to POW and Beauty Queen for moving from last to second. Thought they blew it when they decided not to take all of the books at once, though.

And the beautiful brothers no longer have the beautiful girls to flirt with. Wow, another very close race to the mat!

It looked like Rob found out at the airport that taking the bus would cause them to arrive at their destination earlier than if they had taken the plane. So he bribed the guy at the terminal to not tell any of the other teams that the bus would arrive earlier. It was amusing to see all the other teams find out anyway, and to see everyone take the bus in the end. smile.gif So it looks like Rob's going to play the game like he's on Survivor. I think his devious behavior will catch up to him in the end, though. I think some of the other teams will gang up against him and Amber at some point.

I'm not surprise to see the blonds lose, but it was another close race to the finish! Both episodes have been pretty exciting so far. It bodes well for the rest of the race.

It's as close to normal as a reality show gets, I think. smile.gif

At this point, I'm rooting for Uchenna and Joyce, just because one of them was laid off from Worldcom. In all likelihood, I helped remove his (her?) access. Guilty conscience, maybe? unsure.gif

I also liked Joyce's attitude during the shoe shine. She couldn't get anyone to stop and was laughing about it. Awesome.

There also seems to be less bunching, so far. I couldn't tell that anyone was hurt/helped by it this leg, anyway.

So far, I'm liking this season much better than last.

Subtlety is underrated

Normal? Three to five out of twenty are gay? That's a bit slanted. Even if you believe the grossly exaggerated one in ten, it's still disproportional.

I assume that you're referring to my post, and in that sense of "normal" you do make a valid point. And pardon my need to clarify (for the sake of those sensitive on the issue), but I'm sure that you are not saying that gays are not normal people - only that the overabundance of the gay demographic on the show is not normal. As my wife asked: "Are they trying to fill a quota?"

I will say though that the last time I remember a focus on gay teammates was with Chip & Reichin (sp?) who were hunky and charming and always portrayed positively (even though they "divorced" later). Last night the gay couple (the boys that we know are gay) were shown to be real jerks for storming back to the fish market with their "ugly American" attitudes. Not a real flattering depiction (or typical media depiction) of the gay persona. So I think that the current spate of the homosexual contestants are being shown warts and all, you know... as "normal" people rather than as the "gay saints" that some groups are inclined to portray them.

Note, unless anyone objects, I'll modify the first post of this thread to indicate which teams are gone and which remain.

So... spoilers off the top! Let me know if that's a problem. (It won't be updated immediately each week, if that helps.)

Interesting... the official site includes one interesting detail:

The brothers shared a hotel room with Megan and Heidi the night before they beat them to the mat in a footrace. Nothing happened, we're told, but the two teams have been hanging out -- even snuggling on one bus ride -- and it adds an interesting insight to the finish line tears and hugs.

I thought it was a great leg. Some bunching at the top, but then cool maneuvering and excellent Racing, leading to the elimination of a team I wanted to see go soon, anyway. Can't beat it. And, say what you want about Rob, he certainly does his best to make this a Race. And that's why I tune in. To see a Race.

Aaargh!! I'd been avoiding this thread until I could watch the episodes on tape, but my VCR decided not to cooperate last week, so I ended up reading the summary on CBS.com.

Very surprised that there are actually a few teams more annoying than Rombah, but like someone else mentioned, no one outright hate-able.

A few things that bug me about this season:

More and more teams seem to be emphasizing their "strategy" to befriend other teams only to betray them, and trumpeting their ability to be devious. Huh? Did they think they were auditioning for Survivor? Or is AR deliberately urging contestants to play that way, in an effort to keep up with all the crappy reality shows out there?

Even though Rombah played well and competitively this week, they've got an unfair advantange because they are minor celebrities. If I were one of the other teams, I'd be pretty ticked that Rombah had the first leg handed to them by the doofus in customs who liked them from their Survivor days. If AR's gonna go that route, why not just put Faye Dunaway and Simon Cowell on a team? Oh, and it was pretty rich to hear Amber say at the end how proud she was that they came back from last place. It's not like they actually accomplished anything on their own. pinch.gif

Other than that, yeah, this is a much better season. I agree with SZPT that this is a much more normal, relateable group of people than last season.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

I couldn't disagree with you more, Mark. The past few seasons have been chock full of teams who were content to just take what got handed to them by the producers. Bunching, pre-arranged flights, etc. But Rob and Ambah are busting their humps to get ahead. They are using every advantage, scrambling, and working every angle. They are Racing full-out, and not coasting on anyone or anything. I wish there were more teams like them. Heck, I think that their scrambling will FORCE the other teams to race as well, just so they can keep up!