Sign in to follow this  
Tim Willson

Amazing Race 7

Who do you think will WIN the AMAZING RACE?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Fan club, heck. I think crimson wants to adopt them!  laugh.gif (Just kidding, crims. In light of recent events on this board, I feel the need to qualify all good-natured jabs with "just kidding." The little smiley emoticon guy doesn't seem enough anymore.)

I know what you mean. Yeah, I'd adopt them - so long as I got to control their trust fund! smile.gif

Most AR teams have actually accomplished something in their lives aside from competing on other reality shows - but hey, I guess Rombah is AR's meal ticket to high ratings this season.

Yeah, I really respect those contestants who have gritted their teeth and sweated their way to the bottom-middle of their chosen profession - modelling. smile.gif (JK)

Rob worked as a contractor before Survivor. That's work enough for anyone.

(Uchenna and Joyce are) my preference to win - fun couple, respectful of one another, and they've been seasoned by some of life's hardships. Love the scene with the orpans from next week! But I agree, they've got to kick it up a notch.
I was kind of turned off by their sob story introduction in the first episode. But they have worked hard, not complained, and have won my respect.
Lynn and Alex took the prize for Stupidest Comment Ever on Amazing Race: "Rob and Amber are like an STD - the only way to protect yourself is to stay away from them." Aside from the, ah, unpleasant analogy, I'd hope that SOME other team would figure out this is exactly the wrong way to beat Rombah. The only way to beat a guy like Rob is to do it at his own game - buddy up to him, talk about baseball, girls, the weather. Then, once your arm's around his shoulder, plunge in the knife for a nice, clean vivisection! Yeah, baby!
smile.gif I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could "stab" anyone else "in the back" in TAR. Alliances are barely meaningful, and in the end - IT'S A RACE!! I just don't get where people think intrigue plays any role in the Race.

As to your reaction to the STD comment, yup.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Yeah, I really respect those contestants who have gritted their teeth and sweated their way to the bottom-middle of their chosen profession - modelling. smile.gif (JK)

Rob worked as a contractor before Survivor. That's work enough for anyone.

True enough - a veteran of college-era construction work myself. But c'mon, Rob worked as a contractor for, like, a year before becoming a professional celebrity on Survivor. Hardly enough time to get a callous!

Your point about the models is right on, though.

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could "stab" anyone else "in the back" in TAR. Alliances are barely meaningful, and in the end - IT'S A RACE!! I just don't get where people think intrigue plays any role in the Race.

True, too - but the Rob-meister himself introduced and perfected manipulation as a tool in this race (see: meat-eating incident). My point is that instead of shunning Rombah like the other teams appear to be doing, they ought to recognize much of Rob's psychological strength comes from buddying up to people, learning their weaknesses, and figuring out how to use those weaknesses against them. True that in AR as opposed to other reality shows, that's not as big a factor, but it can come in handy - as Rob has proven!

I was kind of turned off by their sob story introduction in the first episode. But they have worked hard, not complained, and have won my respect.

Well, truthfully I was turned off by almost everyone's introduction in the first episode. Back to the point about manipulation and deception: All the intro's seemed designed to put the teams into one of three categories: Saintly suffferers (Uchenna/Joyce, Ron/Kelly); master manipulators (Lynn/Alex, Susan/Patrick, almost everyone else); and Survivor lovebirds (guess who?). I don't think Uchenna and Joyce have played up their own hardships for sympathy, that's just the device AR is using to give them their identity.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Okay, so I finally watched on VHS, and not much more to be said -- I was nodding my head reading nearly every post. But a few observations...

I love the shooting/editing of this show, in that they catch all the comments about Rob and Amber NOT making the flight... and the reactions when they do. But -- better than that, they remember to include those kind of comments for things that DON'T happen. The audience is really able to experience the drama from many perspectives without feeling like every twist and turn is being foreshadowed. Same thing on the train, when everyone commented on who they thought was on board. That they film this show with a different crew in every country is astounding.

As for making that flight -- it was 9am and 25 miles to catch a 9:30 flight; they hardly broke a sweat getting there. How often have we seen teams break down in that situation? It just says something about how strong they are.

As for the elimination of Susan and Patrick, I think this was the first time I've seen a team eliminated in which they paid no tribute to the other. Seriously -- and I might be wrong -- but those elimination reactions are among the best moments on TV, when people say some truly heartfelt things. But Susan and Patrick had only faint criticism of each other.

This week was entertaining for me, perhaps because there are fewer teams and we're getting to know them a little better.

Crimsoline wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could "stab" anyone else "in the back" in TAR. Alliances are barely meaningful, and in the end - IT'S A RACE!! I just don't get where people think intrigue plays any role in the Race.

There are a number of ways, esp. the way Rob and Amber took another team's cab, and how Ray and Deana led Gretchen and Meredith astray.

Which reminds me... my wife commented how much she appreciates the love and care that Meredith and Gretchen show for each other -- even in the middle of their stress. Many people don't get to see that very often.

Edited by Tim Willson

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

As for the elimination of Susan and Patrick, I think this was the first time I've seen a team eliminated in which they paid no tribute to the other. Seriously -- and I might be wrong -- but those elimination reactions are among the best moments on TV, when people say some truly heartfelt things. But Susan and Patrick had only faint criticism of each other.

My wife pointed that out, too. Even battling ex-lovers usually say something decent about the other person's strengths, but nuthin' at all from this mother-son duo? Creepy indeed.

Crimsoline wrote:

There are a number of ways, esp. the way Rob and Amber took another team's cab, and how Ray and Deana led Gretchen and Meredith astray.

Great examples, Tim. While Ray was kind of pathetic in his quest to beat the 60-something team, Rob's move worked on many levels:

1) He did it to a team that could barely conceal its disgust for him and Amber, so it works as simple payback.

2) The Rob-faddah factor - Rob is saying, essentially, "It's a stolen cab this time, sweethearts. Next time it'll be the cab driver's severed head under your covers." He's establishing his territory.

3) He's sending a message to the other teams - you play nice with me, I'll go easy on you. Great psychological intimidation of the others.

Which is all the more perplexing why the other teams would adopt an iron curtain approach to dealing with Rombah, as Lynn/Alex have done. They're actually fueling his psychological dominance.

Best. Finish. Ever.

Shall post more later.

w00t.gifw00t.gif

Subtlety is underrated

spoilers1.gif

The HYPOCRISY of Lynn and Alex after refusing Rob & Amber a cab! They have it in for R&A, no doubt. I'm really tired of their backbiting.

Maybe they weren't honest about their reason for refusing to share the cab, but how was it hypocritical? They probably should have just said "nope, it's a competition so get your own cab." Rob would have respected that, right? wink.gif I have to say I enjoyed seeing Rob & Amber get "dissed" with a cab, since they had stolen from one another team earlier in the race.

In the words and enthusiasm of the tricycle kid from The Incredibles:

That was totally wicked!

For me, Lynn and Alex continue to hover around the bottom muck, but Rob and Amber also went down a few notches this past show. And surprisingly Meredith and Gretchen went up a few for me because of how they handled such adversity.

Ray and Deana: Buh-bye. U-huh, u-huh, yeah... BUH-BYE!

The brothers have always been my top pick, so it was great to see them come through at the end despite their own adversity. My pregnant wife got so excited she was standing up at the foot-race finish.

Uchenna and Joyce still remain strong. I am glad that whatever conflict plaguing their marriage before the race has seemed to melt away. They are a tight team who can still in the race. More than that, they are a tight couple who can still have a great marriage, and I think they are realizing that. I also wouldn't be surprised if we find during a reunion episode that they have adopted or are in the process of adopting. I don't think that they can walk into an orphange with the history they have and walk out unchanged.

So as to who I WANT to win...

Brothers and U&J are tied for me right now. R&A are still behind them somewhere. G&M are not bad, but Gretchen's voice and mannerisms just grate on me. Though not as much L&A combined, who should be eliminated next.

OK, so Gretchen and Meredith have no possessions for the rest of the race? Surely not...but that's the idea I got. Am I wrong? That's, uh, sort of ridiculous to me.

Still don't like Rob and Ambah. I don't care how many people were standing around the car wreck

This was a terrific episode, but I agree -- tough bunching in this one, especially for Ray and Deana. But what a mis-matched couple, with his arrogant Mr. Testosterone act and her uncertainty (coupled with a 'get off my back' attitude). Not sorry they're gone, but pleased that they won vehicles. (Second time a major prize was awarded to a team that went on to lose.)

Loved the race to the mat. Wow -- this was the second time the brothers missed elimination by mere seconds. Why do teams carry their bags to the finish line, e.g., Rob and Amber? Just run!

I do wish that TAR had pulled back the curtain a little bit on the back story to the show. What was the cameraman's name? Who was that woman comforting him? How was he hurt? Why did the vehicle flip -- carelessness? Bad road? Defective vehicle?

As to L&A and R&A -- both teams embarrassed themselves this week (from my perspective); and Ron and Kelly appear to be locked in a death spiral... increasingly appearing to merely tolerate each other. And the preview from next week hinted at a total meltdown for them.

One more thing -- taking away G&M's bags FOR THE WHOLE RACE! C'mon! That is harsh. They did themselves proud, but I can't see them making the final three.

Edited by Tim Willson

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Yes, that was a great finish! I really liked the way the brothers hustled to come back from their accident to win the footrace at the end. They are becoming more and more likeable as time goes on.

I'm not sad at all to see Ray and Deanna go. Is Dr. Phil available to give Ray some much-needed relationship advice?

I admire Meredith and Gretchen for not giving up. I think to take away all their possessions is a bit extreme. At least Uchenna and Joyce gave them some clothes, but still, that will be difficult to overcome.

Rob and Amber didn't come off well in this episode at all. There is a difference between being competitive and being a jerk, and Rob has crossed that line. Even Phil called him out on not stopping after the brothers overturned their truck. And it turns out that Rob can't dominate every week either.

Edited by Crow

You guys keep saying that taking Meredith and Gretchen's stuff away was harsh or extreme, but c'mon, if things were really fair they'd have been eliminated. History of the show proves that in situations of extreme cold all teams are provided with additional clothing. All this penalty does is help confirm those who were meant to be eliminated anyway. If coming in last was a result of bad luck rather than bad planning then they will prove themselves and get back into the race, as M&G did. It just makes them leaner and meaner and more focused, I say.

Less, y'know... baggage. w00t.gif

Ah, Rob. He lost much of my admiration. At least he had the decency to sound uncertain when passing, and to look abashed when Phil called him on not stopping. I think his conscience was pricking him a bit.

His attitude towards Gretchen and Meredith was meaner, I think. Since when is begging "conning"? Especially when they were so entertaining about it. He couldn't have coughed up five bucks?

Even so, it wasn't as bad as Ray's attitude. What a jerk. He almost redeemed himself at the end when he admitted it was their own fault they lost. He promptly lost it when he turned the whole thing onto Deanna though. I give huge props to Deanna for walking across that bridge. No way in hell could I have done it, even for a million dollars.

Lynn? Shut up.

Meredith and Gretchen impressed me this time. They have awesome fortitude.

Ron who? Kelly who?

That foot race was freaking awesome. I was so certain my boys were going to end up eliminated. Their detour choice was very smart. After all, they were behind by quite a bit, and when they get to the detour there are STILL teams there, grinding food? That's a clue in itself, and they picked right up on it. And I loved how they were going all out for the finish line. It was fantastic. I really like their silliness (such as reading the clue as "going to mom's to eat enchiladas" or some such) and would have seriously missed it in later legs. Especially if I had to still put up with Ray.

Sorry Uchenna and Joyce--Brian and Greg are my top pick now, even though I STILL can't tell them apart.

Speaking of U/J, I felt rather "meh" this time around. They did good, but nothing really spectacular.

How awesome was it that Brian and Greg, even though they were far behind, took a moment to acknowledge God and ask for his help for the cameraman? I adore these two now. If crimson can adopt Rob and Amber, can I adopt Brian and Greg?

Subtlety is underrated

Ray Housteau and Deana Shane are engaged. They told CBS' The Early Show that they'll be married in May. Funny... according to Deana, "Ray isn't really like that -- they just made him look bad."

Edit: Clip link isn't working... available via real.com

Edited by Tim Willson

All these people blame editing. Either they're right, or they're in serious denial.

I tend to lean towards the latter.

Good luck to them.

Subtlety is underrated

Just watched the two-hours of TAR. You all have said it all, but for me:

1. WOW what a finish. Genuinely suspenseful, awesomely edited. Excellent job by the brothers.

2. Not so eager to adopt Rob & Ambah (though some of the kids from that orphanage...). They should have rolled down the window and asked, at least. Rob does have a "Prince of Darkness" streak in him. On the other hand, he races hard, which is a virtue in my book. Lynn & Alex would have construed ANYTHING Rob did as bad, and then gone on to moralize about how great THEY are. So, while R&A blew it big time, in my eyes it didn't raise L&A at all.

3. The nuclear option on non-elimination legs. Yeeps. This whole leg was in-country. I don't know what M&G will do when they have to fly.

4. Good-bye Grimace and Popeye! And good riddance.

5. Was that greeter-woman in South Africa beautiful, or what?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

and

6. How about that Botswana Hilton they are staying in for their 12-hour mandatory rest period? No coddling for this group of Racers! smile.gif

The brothers! Asking their "father in heaven" for help and guidance, and thanking him at the finish! They also had a great comeback!

Despite all the verbalizing, Meredith and Gretchen also had a great comeback. Who would have thought they'd be so good at grinding corn?

Awesome, and awesome.

The HYPOCRISY of Lynn and Alex after refusing Rob & Amber a cab! They have it in for R&A, no doubt. I'm really tired of their backbiting.

I was more struck by Rob's "hypocrisy" - he stole Bianca and Debbie's freakin' cab, remember?!? And he really revealed what a true candy-ass he is - big macho guy should've muscled into the "sissy boys," or whatever he called them, cab whether they wanted him there or not. Very rich to see him whining by the side of the road! Lynn and Alex were just running a competitive race, IMO - taking a page right out of the Rob-ster's book.

I am glad that Ray & Deana got the boot. He was starting to turn into Jonathan. Not to mention Ray's ridiculous justification for not helping M&G with cash, and his comments at the end about Deana. At least Rob's justification made sense: it's a competition--of course I'm not going to help you.

Also glad Ray and Deana are gone, but c'mon - can Rob do nothing wrong? His justification and Ray's were identical from where I sat - a couple of pseudo-macho dudes threatened by a 60-something couple, one of whom had a gash in her head. Nice, guys. I would've respected the choice a lot more if they refused to help a really strong team.

The brothers have always been my top pick, so it was great to see them come through at the end despite their own adversity.  My pregnant wife got so excited she was standing up at the foot-race finish.

Totally, dude. My wife had watched the show before me and was sitting calmly, while I stood up and started pacing during the final foot race. Then I screamed "yeah baby!" when the brothers made it. Man, I am getting way too into this ....

Still don't like Rob and Ambah. I don't care how many people were standing around the car wreck

Like I have time for this, but I just watched a few of the behind-the-scenes clips at CBS.com. Man, Lynn and Alex really went off on Rob and Amber; they are

-Satan's spawn

-just like dogs

-just awful pigs

-east coast white trash

-new money awful

All this, after Alex admitted that he didn't want to stop at first, either.

Alex was much more reasonable -- to the point that when he tried to tone Lynn down and encouraged him to avoid provoking Rob, Lynn dropped the f-bomb on him.

Anyway -- a new episode tonight and a "Special Episode" tomorrow -- possibly a re-cap.

Like I have time for this, but I just watched a few of the behind-the-scenes clips at CBS.com. Man, Lynn and Alex really went off on Rob and Amber; they are

-Satan's spawn

-just like dogs

-just awful pigs

-east coast white trash

-new money awful

All this, after Alex admitted that he didn't want to stop at first, either.

Alex was much more reasonable -- to the point that when he tried to tone Lynn down and encouraged him to avoid provoking Rob, Lynn dropped the f-bomb on him.

Anyway -- a new episode tonight and a "Special Episode" tomorrow -- possibly a re-cap.

blink.gif

Lynn & Alex definitely have some anger issues to work through! Still, their snarkiness isn't all that much worse than the trash Rob talks about the other teams (Meredith pushing Gretchen into the cave to gain sympathy comes to mind, no?). I think the difference is Rob is able to flash a charming (or greasy, depending on where you're sitting) smile and make it seem like he's just the cleverest guy in the world, whereas Lynn & Alex come off like - well, to borrow Baal's analogy - like someone next to them just passed gas.

To clarify my last post, it's not just the fact of not stopping (and not rolling down the window) that cemented my disgust at the Survivors. It was Rob's self-satisfied attitude in the car and at the pit stop, his winky aside to the camera, and Amber's clueless attempt at coquettishness (oh, li'l ol' me was supposed to care about a banged-up cameraman by the side of the road? Well, fiddle-dee-dee!). They exhibit the most complete narcissism I've ever seen on a reality show - and that's saying something.

To clarify my last post, it's not just the fact of not stopping (and not rolling down the window) that cemented my disgust at the Survivors. It was Rob's self-satisfied attitude in the car and at the pit stop, his winky aside to the camera, and Amber's clueless attempt at coquettishness (oh, li'l ol' me was supposed to care about a banged-up cameraman by the side of the road? Well, fiddle-dee-dee!). They exhibit the most complete narcissism I've ever seen on a reality show - and that's saying something.

And I didn't see that at all. I saw a person who passed by an accident where it was fairly evident there were people helping and decided it wasn't worth stopping. Rob's comments were actually considerate, I thought. He's right--it's a game, and it's no fun when they get hurt. As for his attitude, I thought his "dismissiveness" was due to embarrassment. I've justified myself in similar ways. I can't count how many times I've seen a stranded motorist but didn't stop to help, and I wasn't even on a Race. I just simply didn't want to be inconvenienced.

At the pit stop, it seemed to me that Rob was feeling the pressure from Phil, and I thought he looked ashamed.

As for Lynn, he simply hates Rob, and I honestly can't see that Rob hates Lynn. And to me, such obvious and virulent hate is much worse.

Subtlety is underrated

I agree with Ann. And I do give Lynn & Alex credit for stopping. I don't think they helped much, but it was a fine thing to do. But many a fine deed has been ruined by self-congratulatory back-slapping, and using that deed as a platform for moral superiority.

I maintain my belief that you are all under Rob-induced hypnosis. tongue.gif

Seriously, I'll admit my bias against Rob might have something to do with the fact that I grew up in the same region and know about a hundred guys just like him. Seems like a fun guy to hang out and have a beer with, as long as you don't leave your wallet, girlfriend, or beer for that matter, unattended!

Ann, I just didn't see any embarrassment or self-reflection on Rob OR Amber's part - and the sad thing is with many teams, one of the partners will balance out the other's weaknesses ... but that's not the case with Rob and Amber. Amber might have said something like, Rob, don't be an ass. Or, Gosh Rob, there's a guy lying by that car! Do you think he's dead? Or, at the pit stop even, Rob, it seems like it's just a race until somebody puts their eye out ....

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they're still too young and immature to have developed human qualities yet, but I guess that'd be a back-handed compliment. smile.gif

OTOH, I don't see the so-called "moral superiority" of the gay guys as all that much worse than the superiority and narcissism exhibited by Rob and Amber toward the other teams. It manifests itself differently, but it's there, almost as a sociopathic need to be the best and humiliate - not just beat, but humiliate - their opponents.

And crimson, I appreciate your point about back-slapping self-congratulations, but I respectfully disagree that that's what Lynn & Alex were doing. They made a spur-of-the-moment judgment call - when they were in SECOND PLACE! - because they thought it was the right thing to do. And in the heat of emotion after the fact, when they saw Rob and Amber drive by without so much as a whisper out the window, they acted "morally superior." Cripes, I would have reacted the same way, no matter who the team was. Granted, Lynn & Alex hated Rombah to begin with, but their reaction in this case wasn't unjustified, IMO.

And frankly, if the guy who stops by the side of the road and helps me when I have a flat tire wants to grandstand and congratulate himself after the fact, I'm still going to think much more highly of him over the guy who sped past me so he could get home to watch the Red Sox season opener. (OK, maybe I'd forgive that guy since I'm a Bostonian ... Rob's only redeeming quality in my eyes is his Red Sox cap, after all!)

I maintain my belief that you are all under Rob-induced hypnosis.  tongue.gif

[...]

And crimson, I appreciate your point about back-slapping self-congratulations, but I respectfully disagree that that's what Lynn & Alex were doing. They made a spur-of-the-moment judgment call - when they were in SECOND PLACE! - because they thought it was the right thing to do. And in the heat of emotion after the fact, when they saw Rob and Amber drive by without so much as a whisper out the window, they acted "morally superior." Cripes, I would have reacted the same way, no matter who the team was. Granted, Lynn & Alex hated Rombah to begin with, but their reaction in this case wasn't unjustified, IMO.

And frankly, if the guy who stops by the side of the road and helps me when I have a flat tire wants to grandstand and congratulate himself after the fact, I'm still going to think much more highly of him over the guy who sped past me so he could get home to watch the Red Sox season opener. (OK, maybe I'd forgive that guy since I'm a Bostonian ... Rob's only redeeming quality in my eyes is his Red Sox cap, after all!)

Their self-back-slapping (yeeks!) was not at the crash site, but later pounding corn, and then at the Pitstop. I agree with the TWOP recapper, Miss Allie, that what Rob is doing is intended to be an act, and that he mugs the camera in part to pull back the curtain a bit and let the audience in on it. But if you don't see him that way, then he's just an ass through and through, rather than playing an ass, and occasionally living the part.