Amazing Race 7

Tim Willson

Who do you think will WIN the AMAZING RACE?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

spoilers1.gif below:

Uchenna is what, 50 feet from the FINISH line and 1 million dollars, and he takes the time fully pay the cabbie?

That's some integrity! And both he and Joyce have such class.

Overall, I think the race came down to the two strongest teams. U&J had their difficulties, but they came in first twice before so I think they raced well. I was wearing a floor in the carpet during the last few minutes.

Rob and Amber did very well, but the misdirections got them. I wonder how far behind they were, because it appeared there was enough time for speeches and congratulations. I don't think Rob was any worse than any other racer over the course of the series (that I've seen, anyway), and it was fun to have someone to root against. And I may have mentioned it before, but anyone who treats their significant other in such a respectful, loving way gets a plus in my book.

I muted Ron and Kelly. And sheesh, she is such a brat! I still think Ron is an ass.

Whoo! What a finish! luxhello.gif

Subtlety is underrated

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Rob was any worse than any other racer over the course of the series (that I've seen, anyway), and it was fun to have someone to root against.  And I may have mentioned it before, but anyone who treats their significant other in such a respectful, loving way gets a plus in my book.

I completely agree. They have a wonderful relationship. Rob is such a rabid competitor, but with Amber he's just a puppy in her arms.

When we thought that it was over for U&J my wife and I began reminding ourselves of what we liked about Rob & Amber. I am so glad that U&J won, but R&A were, I think, the best racers that I've ever seen on the show. Mind you I missed the first few Races, so I could be wrong.

Congratulations to Uchenna and Joyce! 1st.gifcheers.gif

It was great to see them all the way come back from last place on the last leg! They proved that you should never give up. That had to be difficult going all day without any money or a meal or anything. And the scene where they managed to get on that plane was great, after I thought there was no way they could make it.

It was an exciting finish, seeing them beg for money to pay the cabbie so they could go in and win the prize. And the other teams gathered at the finish line seemed really excited as well to see them win.

I have to give Rob and Amber credit also. They were great racers, and seem like they will be very happy together.

Unbelievable! It would be difficult not to be overjoyed for Uchenna and Joyce -- such class all the way. However, I was disappointed for Rob and Amber, as they were among the strongest racers the show has ever seen. Heck, even last night they fell out of first place a number of times only to find a way to get right back into first -- like catching and passing the other teams on the highway after the bridge jump.

Two factors were key: the airline that let U&J get on the plane (I'm still shaking my head -- have you EVER seen that in an airport??), and Rob's loss of street smarts in little Havana (corresponding with U&J's blessing of a Spanish-speaking cabbie). I mean, in foreign cities Rob worked the system, asked for and got help from strangers, etc. but once back in the USA he looked a little lost. He didn't go into stores to ask directions, didn't borrow a cell phone, didn't use the cabbie's radio, didn't look in the yellow pages -- strange.

(Side note: is it not darkly humorous -- and a little disquieting -- to see each of these teams praying out loud for success as they race to the finish line?)

And before I leave the subject of the flight to Miami... can I just marvel again at the shooting and editing job these guys do?! Man, to get all of these shots -- of R&A's faces on, of the walkway being pushed away, then back towards the fuselage... That's why I love this show: amazing places and people, with a terrific story-telling sense, a dramatic narrative spun out of raw footage.

And what could be better than Uchenna taking care of his cabbie like that? It may go down as one of the finer, more memorable moments in recent TV history. They deserved to win just for that, if nothing else. But what a joy to see a married couple with such character really live it out and to be rewarded for it.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Two factors were key: the airline that let U&J get on the plane (I'm still shaking my head -- have you EVER seen that in an airport??)

There have been several anecdotes from the posters at TWoP where this has happened. It's apparently more frequent than we may think. I also seem to remember hearing about a pilot letting someone on a plane at the last minute, but it was very indirect, told by a friend of a friend of a cousin of a person married to his doctor, kind of thing.

and Rob's loss of street smarts in little Havana (corresponding with U&J's blessing of a Spanish-speaking cabbie). I mean, in foreign cities Rob worked the system, asked for and got help from strangers, etc. but once back in the USA he looked a little lost. He didn't go into stores to ask directions, didn't borrow a cell phone, didn't use the cabbie's radio, didn't look in the yellow pages -- strange.

I disagree. He worked his airport magic like he always does, and got on the standby list that the AA lady said he couldn't get on. He approached strangers in Little Havana like he always does, the only difference is this time no one knew he was "Boston Rob", or if they did they didn't care. I may be wrong, but I thought I saw him stick his head in a store. I just think the citizens really weren't very helpful in that area of Miami.

Killer Fatigue may have played a part in it, because Amber sure did look exhausted. I don't think I could have run after swimming that hard. But I think Rob went as all out as usual. It just didn't pay off.

Subtlety is underrated

And what could be better than Uchenna taking care of his cabbie like that?

Do you think if Rob and Amber had been in the same predicament they would've scrounged for the money until the cabbie was paid, or would they have taken off, shouting about how they'd make sure the guy got paid eventually?

Also worth noting that, as nail-biting as the wait was while Uchenna collected the fees, that once they arrived on the podium several minutes went by -- Phil's announcement, their reaction, short speech, yada, yada, yada -- before Rob and Amber arrived, and there was a cut right before the shot showing them arriving in second place. So it really wasn't very close. Just how close will remain a mystery, but I once again felt tricked by the editors.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Wow. Just watched the finale.

What an exciting finish! I'm not at all disappointed that U/J won, tho I think R/A were the strongest Racers this show has ever seen (right on, SZPT!). I would have been upset if Ron & Kelly had won, but whichever way the other teams went was fine with me.

I unfortunately knew the results before watching it (thanks a lot, FoxNews.com, which had U/J on their top page the next day) but it was still VERY exciting, and there were a ton of times I was amazed that anyone could possibly pull a win out of that situation. Way to go, Uchenna and Joyce.

I think R&A *were* fatigued by the end, Ann, good call. At the beginning, when Phil recapped the whole Race, it was pretty clear that R&A were a LOT peppier when the whole thing started. It's a long haul, and they Raced hard the whole way.

A great season! Whoo!

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

• 2 weeks later...
smile.gif
In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

laugh.gif
Subtlety is underrated