Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Roger Ebert at home

274 reviews. That's beyond my total films seen in any year. Of course, he has to watch more than a few he'd probably prefer to skip.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Love the bit about the pedometer. Matt Labash recently mentioned the 10,000-steps-a-day goal in a column for The Weekly Standard. He's gone through several pedometers in his quest for excellence.

Sarah and I bought a pedometer last year after Consumer Reports rated several, and we've been generally pleased with it. However, we don't wear it around the home or office -- only when we're taking our morning walks.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

: Sarah and I bought a pedometer last year after

: Consumer Reports rated several, and we've been

: generally pleased with it. However, we don't wear it

: around the home or office -- only when we're taking

: our morning walks.

Dude, that negates the entire point of having a pedometer.

Dale, who has only walked under 10,000 steps three days in 2005

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Yeah, but if I forget to take it off, and I

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

He *gasp* went one month without seeing a movie, but just for his honeymoon.

Wouldn't you just get tired of seeing so many movies?! I'd lose perspective.

That's just how eye roll.

Oh, but he has! Occasionally, but he has.

And sometimes, spectacularly.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

No, no, I think Ebert has the correct perspective there.

Anyway, back to more important topics. Christian:

: Is there a way to avoid this pitfall? Maybe my pedometer

: just bites

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

: Good god, man! What do you do for a living?

Professional dog walker.

Okay, marketing[1]. But my basal number of steps per day -- the number I could get without trying -- is already something like 5,000 or 6,000, so after I add in a half-hour-or-so walk, most days that's enough to get me to 10,000.

Dale

---

[1] Although I have/will be interviewed/interviewing for about 10 different jobs in the past/upcoming few weeks, which span the metaphoric employment globe from Taiwan (more marketing) to Madagascar (director of music for a small church).

He *gasp* went one month without seeing a movie, but just for his honeymoon.

Just think, if you had to see as many movies as Ebert does then you might have appreciated - dare I say "loved" - Steven Sommer's Van Helsing, just like Ebert. If that's not loss of perspective...

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Just think, if you had to see as many movies as Ebert does then you might have appreciated - dare I say "loved" - Steven Sommer's Van Helsing, just like Ebert.  If that's not loss of perspective...

Then again, Sommers did direct that fun monster movie! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Oh, but he has! Occasionally, but he has.

And sometimes, spectacularly.

Jeffrey, it's funny that you would mention Ebert's FOTR review. It is one of only two times I ever wrote to Ebert about one of his reviews. [For the record, he never responded to that one -- but he did respond to my email about his Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie review.]

Anyway, back to more important topics.  Christian:

: Is there a way to avoid this pitfall? Maybe my pedometer

: just bites

: My Freestyle pedometer...What's yours have that

: mine's missing?

Love.

No, um, they all have slightly different mechanisms for counting steps, some which do better than others at minimizing overcounts, and some which do better than others at minimizing undercounts.

: Lesson: Hook the thing on your belt, not under it.

Yes. And do not feel self-conscious about it: There

Groovy.

I just cracked 5,000 steps today. Lookout world, here I come!

But a bit more online research confirms that this pedometer, which was rated so highly by Consumer Reports (instigating our purchase of it), has some problems, particularly with inadvertent "resets" throughout the day (the "reset" button being GIGANTIC).

So far, so good. I now have a better idea of other models I can purchase for a reasonable sum. Thanks.

We really should change the title of this thread, which refuses to die -- even though I'm the only one keeping it alive.

Just in case anyone is still reading, I've just tracked down an NPR story on pedometers.

My Freestyle Tracer wasn't even in the top 5, and the Freestyle Pacer, ranked fourth, isn't recommended by the researcher quoted in the study.