Aimee Mann

Darryl A. Armstrong

She's playing live locally next weekend and I think I'm going to go see the show. Is anyone here a fan? I was introduced to her through Magnolia and have consequently bought most of her albums. Has anyone seen her live?

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

There are lots of benefits to living in Hawaii but one of the downsides is that we get almost no concerts...ones worth going to anyway. I'd love to see Aimee Mann. Like you Darryl, after her one hit song with Til Tuesday, I didn't really know anything about her music until the excellent Magnolia soundtrack. I've bought a couple of her CDs since then but Magnolia is still my favorite.

One of my favorite events this summer was, the day before we flew to a family reunion in Maine, leaving behind our last-minute-packing frenzy to go to the Woodland Park Zoo for ZooTunes. We lay down on the grass and let Aimee Mann's voice wash over us. We were far too far back to see her, so we decided to enjoy the trees and nearby kids' antics as visuals instead. We also knew her from "Magnolia" only, so it was fun to hear mostly new tunes. We were impressed with how mellow -- and cool -- the crowd was, mainly 20-30-somethings. Whether others think we fit into the cool category or not is debatable, but we felt at home there. Aimee Mann was very personable and funny when she spoke, and it was one of my favorite concerts for the atmosphere if nothing else.

www.TheFilmForum.com -- Christian conversation about the movies

www.AmandaLCaldwell.com -- ALC Editing Services

I bought her album "Lost in Space" on the recomendation from Ransom Fellowship's Critique newsletter. It's been a couple months since it's been in my regular rotation, but I really enjoyed it. She's usually grouped in with the Annie DeFranco and Liz Phair type feminists, but I find her to be alot more thoughtful in her angst than the typical "angery chick rocker". I also found the album to be honest, without going to the shock extremes where such artists sometimes roam.

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

I'd been hearing about Aimee Mann for a long time, but had never actually heard her, so wasn't willing to commit myself to buying any of her music, until she appeared on Buffy last fall, promoting Lost in Space and played parts of two songs from that CD ("This Is How It Goes" and "Pavlov's Bell"). Now I know what the fuss is about, I own LiS and am very pleased with it.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Guest Russell Lucas

Beth, you may also have heard Mann as the voice and spike-tressed frontwoman for 'Til Tuesday, whose "Voices Carry" was a big song briefly in the mid-1980s.

Me, I'm waiting for the 'Til Tuesday-T'Pau reunion tour.