Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

West Side Story or The Music Man?

West Side Story or The Music Man?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was AIP ever a stage play.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I wasn't really trying to make a valid slam. And as I thought about it, I love some films with far less story (Before Sunrise/Sunset).

Good info about AAIP - didn't know some of it.

Ron:

: But you know, that opening is most of what I

: remember about West Side Story. So maybe

: my enthusiasm for the flick is all about the first five

: minutes or so?

Yes. You also love "America," of course, because you, being a man of good musical taste, are quite fond of hemiola. But other than that, you are pretty indifferent toward the film, in the same way that my thoughts on Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame tend toward positive even though the film goes drastically downhill after we see the title card. (But those first five minutes!)

: And Meredith's music ain't nothin' to sniff at: the

: song built around the piano lesson is not only fun

: and inventive, but utterly fits the form to the content:

: a musical about music that uses a music lesson to tell

: about the music man.

Yes: see also "Ice cream, ice cream, ice cream!," which uses a slightly different tactic on the same idea. In addition, there's nothing as musically inventive in West Side Story as the verses of "Marian the Librarian," which has the most wack chord progression I've ever heard in a mainstream musical.

: There even are places where English completely disappears.

: Well, in America they haven't used it for years....

Great book, pretty decent score (H. Higgins' numbers especially).

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Dale - I echo your praise of the firt part of Hunchback. The opening is stellar, and I daresay it remains strong until "One Day Out There" with revisits to great at the Heaven's Light/ Hellfire theme. I know lots of folks bemoan the stray from Hugo's original, but who cares! Call it something else, if that will satisfy folks! This thing, especially musically has some real strength.

The real winner should be West Bank Story. 21 min. short. Star-crossed lovers, finger-snapping rivals, song and dance, and competing falalel stands!!!

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Fun-nee stuff, Darrel. smile.gif

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

So......West Side Story and Music Man are neck and neck in the polls??!!? Interesting.

Here's an admission: Although I liked Music Man very much when I saw it, Music Man does not hold the same special place in my heart that West Side Story does.

However, it's good that just as many people like one just as much as the other.