Sign in to follow this  
TexasWill

'Left Behind' co-author slams contrary new series

Sounds to me like LaHaye is a leeeeetle overprotective of his monopoly on end-times dreck.

Perhaps we could solve the problem by putting them both in a ring and have them throw autographed copies of "The Late, Great Planet Earth" by Hal Lindsey at each other. Last man standing rules apply.

Did you see LaHaye's new series? Come Spring is a trilogy of romance novels "co-written" with Greg Dinallo and published by Kensington Publishing (better known for gay/lesbian fiction, but LaHaye didn't know that when he signed on).

The really funny part is that the second book in the series was written by Dinallo 30 years ago but wasn't able to sell it until a shared agent put them together. LaHaye evidently collaborated on the series in some fashion, as his name is the biggest part of the cover.

Fascinating. I used to love listening to The Bible Answer Man, but as I became drawn to Reformed theology, I stopped listening to Hank. Great to see him embracing amillennialism, although it sounds to me like he mixes in a large dose of Preterist thinking as well. Still, anything that derails the Left Behind eschatology is good for the church, IMO.

Did you see LaHaye's new series? Come Spring is a trilogy of romance novels "co-written" with Greg Dinallo and published by Kensington Publishing (better known for gay/lesbian fiction, but LaHaye didn't know that when he signed on).

Oops. He'd better stop playing that 'guilt by association' game. tongue.gif

The really funny part is that the second book in the series was written by Dinallo 30 years ago but wasn't able to sell it until a shared agent put them together. LaHaye evidently collaborated on the series in some fashion, as his name is the biggest part of the cover.

I'm guessing he approved it and accepted a check.

At this point, books are sold primarily by the author's name.

If something has the LaHaye name on it, I can be sure I want nothing to do with it.

I confess after reading the first two books in the Left Behind series I've tried to ignore anything those guys have done since.

You finished two of them? WOW! You're a stronger reader than me. I barely made it through the first one. It was such tedious propaganda I abandoned my project of reading the series so as to be able to discuss the problematic theology with the True Believers .

Unfortunately I have some family members who are smitten with the books. They nearly had a stroke when, in the context of discussing Matthew 24:27-31, I mentioned that I'm glad I'll be left behind. I pointed out that those who are "taken" are taken in judgment (the image is that of those who were taken and drowned in the water of Noah's flood), but the righteous will be "left".

They don't talk about the books with me anymore. unsure.giftongue.gif

How I *longed* to quit at page 30... but no, I tortured myself through the whole thing... and then I BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE.

I worry about me sometimes.

We do too. tongue.gif

By the way, I like your idea of the showdown with Hal Lindsey books. But I think it should be a cage match to the death, no holds barred.

I suspect LaHaye would win though. I have never been able to look at his face without thinking he looks demonic.

post-277-1109110828_thumb.jpg

: How I *longed* to quit at page 30... but no, I tortured myself through

: the whole thing... and then I BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE.

Hey, don't be too hard on yourself - they were very funny as well (albeit unintentionally)

Really pleased to see a big alternative coming up to the Left Behind trash.

Matt

How I *longed* to quit at page 30... but no, I tortured myself through the whole thing... and then I BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE.

I think I might be even madder. I read the whole series in a week. Partly out of curiousity; partly out of insanity.

Now, I'm more of one who thinks that some of the events in Revelation have yet to take place - what those events are, I don't really know or understand. But (egads!) some of the stuff they say in the last book (Glorious Appearance) turns a somewhat decent series into a theological landmine field. I think I flung the book across the room at one point.

I'm reading the book Lahaye's so upset about now. The theology's good (better, IMHO than LaHaye's) but the writing is spotty. I check back in when I finish.

I confess after reading the first two books in the Left Behind series I've tried to ignore anything those guys have done since.

I think I trump this. I pitched LaHaye when trying to read The Spirit-Controlled Temperament back shortly after high school and gagged at his diagrams depicting "good" and "bad" characteristics in the various temperaments. He was an emerging "cult" figure back then (stop laughing angry.gif ). Haven't been able to take him seriously ever since.

Oh yeah, and his How to Win over Depression (or something like that) is a repository of shaming misinformation - from quack self-help author to purveyor of apocalyptic crapola, quite an impressive career trajectory.

Oh yeah, and his How to Win over Depression (or something like that) is a repository of shaming misinformation - from quack self-help author to purveyor of apocalyptic crapola, quite an impressive career trajectory.

You read Temperament? You poor man. The apocalyptic crappola, as you call it has always been part of the package. In the circles in which I was brought up, he would have had no currency without it.

Come to think of it, the shaming is as valuable a characteristic as any.

Oh, and while we're at it:  Cloud Ten dropping prices (includes info on Left Behind film series).  Babylon Rising (the new apocalyptic series of novels "by" LaHaye).

Yep. I've found both Left Behind movies at Wally World for 5.50 each. Still doesn't beat the promotion of the theatrical release of the first film by selling the DVD of the movie with a free movie ticket to the theatrical release of the SAME movie that came out THREE MONTHS LATER. Yikes. (Also yikes - that's a run-on sentence from hell.)

Forgot about the pre-release video and didn't know about the tickets. I wonder, is this really a commentary on the profit margins in the video/DVD market?Or is Cloud 10 dumping remaindered inventory?

Perhaps we could solve the problem by putting them both in a ring and have them throw autographed copies of "The Late, Great Planet Earth" by Hal Lindsey at each other.  Last man standing rules apply.

This made me laugh way too hard.

I find it hard to take Tyndale at their word when they're making a ton of money off of these things. I should be nicer to them, though... my grandmother worked there for many years.

I lost most of the respect I had left for Mr. LaHaye (and to a lesser extent, his wife) when I read the transcript of the Larry King Live show when they were interviewed along with a number of other 'notable' Christians after Time published a list of the 25 most influential evangelicals. That transcript is here if anyone is interested.