Sign in to follow this  
TexasWill

'Left Behind' co-author slams contrary new series

That's a great read - thanks for the link. Yeah, Tim and Beverly come out looking like ignoramuses, after Larry King is done with them. I'm not surprised that McLaren is gracious and articulate in this interview, but never having seen or heard him before, T.D. Jakes was also impressive with his answers. Franklin Graham seemed somewhere in the middle of these extremes, often providing anemic replies to his questions, yet managing to squeeze a Gospel presentation into every 2nd or 3rd answer.

Oh, and I love the Mark Twain quote that Larry cited: 'If Jesus were to come back, one thing he wouldn't be is a Christian.' Brilliant...

That's a great read - thanks for the link.  Yeah, Tim and Beverly come out looking like ignoramuses, after Larry King is done with them.

Oh, he trounces 'em. Ouch.

That's a great read - thanks for the link.  Yeah, Tim and Beverly come out looking like ignoramuses, after Larry King is done with them.  I'm not surprised that McLaren is gracious and articulate in this interview, but never having seen or heard him before, T.D. Jakes was also impressive with his answers.  Franklin Graham seemed somewhere in the middle of these extremes, often providing anemic replies to his questions, yet managing to squeeze a Gospel presentation into every 2nd or 3rd answer.

I came out respecting Franklin Graham more than I had. He was more concerned about presenting the Gospel than answering the questions. While I may disagree with him politically (and I don't really know if I do or not), I respect his priorities.

I had never heard of McLaren before, but yes, I think the combined voices of McLaren and Jakes are the ones that Christians need to listen to when it comes to politics.

McLaren is the pastor of a church in Maryland, and the author of A New Kind of Christian and several other recent books - we've discussed his thoughts and theology in months past on various threads. My understanding of living the faith in 21st Century America has been aided significantly by him.

A friend of mine recently shared with me a useful way to think of the relationship of Christianity and politics - that Christ should be followed and conceptualized as suprapolitical rather than subpolitical - i.e. above, rather than squeezed into, any particular political agenda. I'd say Jakes and McLaren succeeded admirably in this regard, whereas the LaHayes didn't do so hot.