Sign in to follow this  
Russ

The "lunch" I just had

I sure could go for a packet of lamb and mint crisps right now.

I am eating two slices of wheat toast with organic peanut butter and rasberry jelly (with seeds) and sipping on fresh coffee for breakfast while I read what people are eating for lunch.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

So I take it you aren't going to mail me a sausage/beef combo from Portillos.

Just great.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

So I take it you aren't going to mail me a sausage/beef combo from Portillos.

Just great.

There goes the FREAKING surprise!!

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

Rich, my friend, I've never felt so ... attacked ... by you before. wink.gif Is this payback for my encouraging you to subscribe to the Atlantic, just as it was on the cusp of 10 straight anti-Iraq-War cover stories? (BTW, the cover story in the latest issue is a David Foster Wallace piece on talk radio. I'm so relieved that I don't even mind that the article--the part of it I've read--says nothing new or interesting about the medium.)

Let me try to explain a few things.

I use I suppose that this depends on one's willingness to be modest with coffee consumption. My order is always "the largest of your strongest!". I often need an inch of a praticularly dark roast to change the color much at all, let alone the medium brown color I look for from added half and half (milk does little but addlactic acid to an often acidic roast). We are talking about some 25 oz. of coffee from the tallest of their paper cups.

Ah, so you have other coffee-consumption-related problems. It's not the size of the cup that worries me for your sake so much as the amount of money you must be shelling out for all that brew. Still, I'd probably order the "largest" if I only could drink it before the beverage gets cold -- which often happens even with the "tall" drinks I order.

I know, I know. That's what microwaves are for. But it just ain't same once it's reheated.

Cafe' Americano? You drink water-diluted espresso? What's the point of that?

Alright, now you're really pissed me off. [kidding] I suppose I could retort, "What's the point of adding espresso to coffee, which no one seems to question?" but I'm afraid there's an easy answer to that question -- something about how mixing espresso with coffee doesn't dilute the former in any way, whereas water obviously does. But here's the thing. I've never been an undiluted espresso drinker. I'm a simple man, with simple tastes. I do, however, like some espresso flavor.

The issue, once again, is price. An Americano, being mostly water, costs about $1.75. A coffee drink with espresso added costs double that. I have to make compromises in life, and this is one of them.

Time to get my evening cup of joe, so I'll be alert during my Systematic Theology class tonight.

And diluted espresso does that for you, huh?

Actually, yes, it gets me charged up. I've heard espresso doesn't have as much caffeinne as people think it has, but I've never investigated. Perhaps the stimulating effect is all in my head?

I'm goin' to Dunkin' Donuts.

Now you are telling me you don't like real coffee. What are you trying to communicate?

Don't worry, Rich. The chain is slowly remaking itself, no doublt in an effort to satisfy snobs like you. smile.gif

But as for not liking Dunkin' Donuts coffee -- that, my friend, is your problem. It's the best coffee value around, so drink up!

As to lunch? Usually a nice J-R Tobacco imitation of a Cuban La Gloria Cubana Corona. Best $1.00 smoke in the world. Better than most at 5X the price.

Oooooo. Ya know, I used to work right next to J-R Tobacco in D.C. I had to stop even the occasional cigar-smoking to get life insurance at a decent rate -- the "non-smoker" requirement is absurd beyond words -- but I long to have a good cigar. And by "good" I mean cheap but not suckey. So it seems, Rich, that we see eye to eye on that score.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

(They don't call them "chips" over here, they call them "crisps" and instead of flavoring them with traditional things like barbecue, or sour cream and onion, they flavor them with things like lamb and mint, baked ham and mustard, beef and onion, prawn, cheese and onion, etc...)

Yeah "chips" are what you call fries, only fatter (about 3 or 4 times the cross sectional area of a MacDonalds Fry). But "crisps" is quite a logical title as they are crisp.

As for traditional flavours, I should fill you in on the history of crisp flavours. 20 years ago there were just 3. Plain / ready Salted, Salt & Vinegar and Cheese and Onion. Then there were a few brands of kids marketed crisps that started coming out, and a few more interesting flavours started coming out, barbeque, bacon, chicken, prawn cocktail, etc. But now its accelerating with new flavours, so ten years ago there were some brands of things lke chilli, beef & mustard etc, and then pringles with sour cream and onion, and then only recently have things like Lamb & mint (Walkers right?), and my favourite Sweet Thai Chilli. They rock.

Matt

I unwittingly picked up these three junk food items for makeshift lunch in the lobby's lottery/newspaper/sandwich stand:

Hot and spicy peanuts

Peanut butter cookies

Reese's peanut butter cups

The clerk said, "Wow, I guess you like peanut butter."  I hadn't realized it.  Yeah, I guess so.

oops meant to reply to this too. I LOVE peanut butter - I probably average 2 sandwiches of it a day (as in 4 bits of bread). Reese's PB cups are very very rare over here, but nice when you find them. But I'd generally rather have a Penaut butter snadwich and some non-peanut buttery chocolate.

Matt

and then only recently have things like Lamb & mint (Walkers right)

Walkers Great British Dinners series. Great stuff. The ingredient list is always odd. When you look, eventually you come to a spot that just says: "Lamb and Mint flavouring" or "Baked Ham and Mustard flavouring." I am still at a loss to how they distill the flavor of an entire meal into one chip. I mean crisp.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Hmmm. They do make frozen cheesesteaks. Where can I get some dry ice?

Ask around at some good independent meat shops or grocery stores. Oh, heck, why be complicated about it. I'll bet the yellow pages have listings under "Ice" or some such. I don't know Philadelphia, but this is the kind of thing no city can do without.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Count me in with the PB crowd. PB and butter sandwiches. Mmmm. Never done PB and banana yet (Elvis' favorite).

You mean a "peanuh budder an' 'nanner sanwich"? Oo-oooh man. Thanky... thanky very much.

Y'know we just can't talk about PBJ's without this.

Count me in with the PB crowd. PB and butter sandwiches. Mmmm. Never done PB and banana yet (Elvis' favorite).

You mean a "peanuh budder an' 'nanner sanwich"? Oo-oooh man. Thanky... thanky very much.

Y'know we just can't talk about PBJ's without this.

Here's the official recipe for Elvis' PBN'r sammich....

Elvis Presley's Grilled Peanut Butter

and Banana Sandwich

2 slices of white bread

2 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter

1 small ripe banana mashed

2 tablespoons butter

Spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread and the mashed banana on the other. Press the slices gently together. Melt the butter (or to be truly Elvis-like, melt bacon fat!), over low heat in a small frying pan. Place the sandwich in the pan and fry until golden brown on both sides. Eat it with a glass of buttermilk.

Please note: Elvis tended to eat 12-15 sandwiches a sitting! So belly up!

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

For the English version, just add baked beans. No joke. Just had one today, bananariffic AND beanariffic. I did mine in a George Forman though, over here, I believe they call it a King George Cooker.

As to the frozen Philly Cheesesteak, you have no idea how much I savor the sentiment AT, much obliged. But, as I learned the hard way, a true Philly Cheesesteak is made with Velveeta. Does that suffer being frozen well?

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

But, as I learned the hard way, a true Philly Cheesesteak is made with Velveeta. Does that suffer being frozen well?

I'm a foodie's foodie and a gourmand's gourmand. Velveeta suffers from nothing. You don't even have to refridgerate it. I think the expiration date is on for only two reasons: 1) it's the law here, and 2)most would be suspicious and not buy it without one.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

on my way home from my initial foray in the world of jewelry and engagement rings.

w00t.gif

wink.gif

Oh, I am going to have SUCH a hard time sitting on this information. Don't forget that certain members of this forum are former roommates of your future fiancee's big sister! wink.gif

(Just kidding, Jeff. I would never say anything.)

Re: Dunkin Donuts - NOT REAL COFFEE, Rich?! Au contraire--it's the only real coffee there is! At least this Tri-State area native thinks so. I swear they do something magic to the brew when they put the cream and sugar in. Anyway, I'm so mad that they've capitulated to the white collar espresso aesthetic. I would pick DD over Starbucks and half a dozen of my other local coffee haunts any day (but they don't have them around here).

As for me, lunch today: leftover peanut curry from Bangkok Taste, the best little strip-mall thai joint in West Michigan.

Rich, my friend, I've never felt so ... attacked ... by you before.

Re: Dunkin Donuts - NOT REAL COFFEE, Rich?! Au contraire--it's the only real coffee there is! At least this Tri-State area native thinks so. I swear they do something magic to the brew when they put the cream and sugar in. Anyway, I'm so mad that they've capitulated to the white collar espresso aesthetic. I would pick DD over Starbucks and half a dozen of my other local coffee haunts any day (but they don't have them around here).

As for me, lunch today: leftover peanut curry from Bangkok Taste, the best little strip-mall thai joint in West Michigan.

The phrase "leftover peanut curry" made my mouth water. My senses are so perked I can smell it.

As for the double d coffee I have to agree with kebbie here. There is something unique and delicious about their coffee, something that Starbuck, Caribou and Intelligenisa just cannot match. We have even been known to by a pound of their whole bean coffee for the homestead.

One thing I must note, DO NOT let them put the cream and sugar in for you!

Really! It is my rule of thumb ALWAYS to let them doctor it for me. I can never get it to taste right on my own!

As for the double d coffee I have to agree with kebbie here. There is something unique and delicious about their coffee, something that Starbuck, Caribou and Intelligenisa just cannot match. We have even been known to by a pound of their whole bean coffee for the homestead.

Uh. They don't want to. I have two theories: They have a (heh heh) sommelier who matched their brew with their most popular donuts back in the '60's. Or: it is designed for those who don't like coffee.

Unless you have a stash of sweetner and half&half in the car, it's the only way to get it doctored in this town. They are fascist about it.

The Babe just invited me to lunch at the Bread Basket. Best jewish delli in town. Lunch is pastrami today.

[EDIT]Actually, it is not. It is a Babe's perogative to change her mind and she wants now to go to a steakhouse up the road that has a unique cream of onion soup. Not bad, but it ain't pastrami.

Really! It is my rule of thumb ALWAYS to let them doctor it for me. I can never get it to taste right on my own!

Yes. I have often walked out of there with a cup of sweetened cream and a shot of coffee for flavor. Although, I did stop drinking DD for almost 18 months after finding a little something disgusting on the lid rim as I was taking a sip. Let me just say, it didn't belong there.

Edited by asher

This thread is making me very hungry, and it's two days before payday.

Until then, Campbell's soup.

Subtlety is underrated

Starbucks? Coffee? Are you nuts? The stuff they sell tastes like burned toast. That is to say it tastes like British coffee.

Yep, that should tick off most of the users here. I've done my job.

Good job Alan!

I've already planned my lunch for today. For three years, the Disciples, along with some other mainline denominations and the National Council of Churches have been boycotting Taco Bell over labor issues with tomato pickers in Florida. It's been settled. So I'll be having a Burrito Supreme today.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I've already planned my lunch for today.  For three years, the Disciples, along with some other mainline denominations and the National Council of Churches have been boycotting Taco Bell over labor issues with tomato pickers in Florida.  It's been settled.  So I'll be having a Burrito Supreme today.

Are you eating there to reward them for the labor agreement or because you missed the food? Because I for one, never look forward to eating at Taco Bell. Taco Bueno or Taco Cabana, yes (especially Taco Cabana). Taco Hell, no.

Are you eating there to reward them for the labor agreement or because you missed the food?  Because I for one, never look forward to eating at Taco Bell.  Taco Bueno or Taco Cabana, yes (especially Taco Cabana).  Taco Hell, no.

Taco Bell has been in my blood for 40 years. I recognize that it is fast food and probably not even the best fast food Mexican, but it is the fast food I've had forever. So I have missed it. During the boycott, I've discovered other places as well. My favorit is a real Mexican fast food place a couple blocks from church - really good carnitas. And then, Rubio's for fish tacos and shrimp burritos is high on my list, and Taco Mesa in OC really gets my mouth watering - usually for a blackened calamari taco.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin