Sign in to follow this  
Russ

The "lunch" I just had

Scandinavian meatball soup (not Campbell's, I found some quarters for the cafeteria) and a side of broccoli with ranch dressing.

I love coffee, unless it's black. I prefer places like Starbuck's but don't want to spend the money.

I used to hate tea, but a few months ago I was trying to find drinks that had few calories, and I found mango flavored tea (0 calories). It was very good. So now I'm a tea drinker, though not very often.

Subtlety is underrated

I'm a Thai food enthusiast.

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

Would love it! One of the first people I got to know in Santa Barbara when I came to pastor here 30 years ago was a physician from Thailand. He introduced me to the best of the cuisine. We have a restaurant here with a "grandfather chef" of a local clan (they now run three restaurants) - when he is cooking it tastes like heaven - or at least what my senses are implying heaven will taste like.

By the way, I love the opening scene of Antwone Fisher as he enters the barn where a feast in his honor is being held. I showed it in worship as a vision of the Feast of the King in heaven. And then of course

spoilers1.gif

he doesn't just dream it but experiences it in the reuiniting with his family.

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

Had a surprisingly good BBQ beef sandwich today (okay, I had 2) along with green beans, cool ranch Doritos, and chocolate cake (a little dry). >burp.< And all of this from the school cafeteria lunch program.

All the teacher are trying to have them put today's selection out more frequently than the once a month schedule they've presently got for it. Like I said, that BBQ is really good! Boy, I tell you what.

I've also been drinking tea lately, albeit sweet tea, during school lunch because it's supplied to the teachers for free. All in all I'm feeling rather Southern today.

Chicken salad sandwich

I unwittingly picked up these three junk food items for makeshift lunch in the lobby's lottery/newspaper/sandwich stand:

Hot and spicy peanuts

Peanut butter cookies

Reese's peanut butter cups

The clerk said, "Wow, I guess you like peanut butter."  I hadn't realized it.  Yeah, I guess so.

Russ, did you ever think this thread would grow into this conversation. Dare to dream.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

I like my coffee like I like my women.

...thick and bitter?

As for coffee, I like to switch it up between buying from one of the local roasters and mail-order from Greyfriars (www.rarecoffee.com) out of Chattanooga. Greyfriars does some excellent light African roasts, while some of the local roasters do better with darker roasted Asian beans. And please, no milk or sugar.

Today's lunch: veggie and cheese on homemade Challah from the deli down the street. Accompanied by Mahler.

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

I get my coffee from the local whole foods store, two different kinds. Both are relatively dark, and from local roasters. The decaf Sumatran is always a big hit. I drink almost all my coffee at/from home, using a Cuisinart grind-and-brew thingy, where I put in the beans and water and out comes hot, delicious coffee! Worth every penny. My wife and I calculated that it paid for itself in less than a month, given the outrageous cost of boutique coffee.

I once had one of those machines that would make coffee or espresso/cappucino, whichever I wanted, but though it made great examples of both it started to discolor and Dena insisted I get rid of it. I did so only on condition that she get me the mere coffee version (from Braun), but with a digital timer. I've had a Bosch grinder that measures out the cup count for over 12 years now (this by far the best and worth the 2 1/2 X the price of cheaper ones that wear out in a year or two, my best friend has a similar model that is going on 25 years). Costco has what used to be called "Starbucks Meridian blend" that is their house blend. Excellent at 2lbs for $10.

I can't stand any kind of flavorings in either the coffee or the creamer. I think hazelnut flavors are...um...icky. Mocha--real mocha, not chocolate flavoring--I can take.

Just coffee, creamer, and sugar, please--none of that funny stuff.

Dittoes to that! You want a hazelnut thingie? Make a Grasshopper substituting Frangelico for the Creme de Menthe.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Don't do coffee. Used to, but finally figured out i only did it for the massive amount of sugar I added.

My favorite teas in order of preference:

• Stash Caravan (it only comse loose)
  • Twinings (all the rest are Twinings) Earl Grey
  • Irish Breakfast
  • Prince of Wales
  • English Breakfast

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

: At one of my old jobs, I just kept a loaf of bread, jar of peanut butter,

: and some jelly right there. Made a fresh sandwich for lunch whenever

: I didn't have anything else.

I still do (althopugh I don't do it with jelly [or jam as we call it over here] much anymore). One of the reasons I eat so much of the stuf is that it's so easy, and it never goes off (certainly hot while I'm around)

Matt

Today the four of us who are still in the office (the rest are at a conference in Florida) are going to try to get our boss to buy us lunch. I just though you all would want to know.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

I wanted some chili but instead had a salad for the third or fourth day in a row, and what tasted good a few days ago -- I'm using the exact same ingredients in the salad -- has grown lifeless and dull, although the lack of freshness in the vegetables has a lot to do with that.

Rich: Can you guess which brand of coffee I buy at the grocery store? Think "cheap," of course, although it is whole bean coffee.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Today: cold leftover pizza and a thumbprint cookie from the bakery in the department store next door.

Sometimes (including five minutes ago) there are two selections in a pop machine which are equally desirable to me. When I can't choose between them, I push both buttons simulataneously and let the Machine's will be done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because I know you've been waiting on pins and needles:

: Today the four of us who are still in the office (the

: rest are at a conference in Florida) are going to try

: to get our boss to buy us lunch.

Yes! We were successful! A free bacon-and-cheese baked potato for Dale! Power to the workers!

Dale, labor union wannabe

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Today I pursued a granola bar (honey) with water and tried to stick to that but I ended up eating a kingsize banana as well.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

I wanted some chili but instead had a salad for the third or fourth day in a row, and what tasted good a few days ago -- I'm using the exact same ingredients in the salad -- has grown lifeless and dull, although the lack of freshness in the vegetables has a lot to do with that.

Rich: Can you guess which brand of coffee I buy at the grocery store? Think "cheap," of course, although it is whole bean coffee.

Eight O' Clock (A&P) or Spotlight (Kroger)?

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Today was leftover Mediterranean beef (a stew like dish with some golden raisins) over couscous, with some asian pear.

-from the film
Armin

Since my wife was working at home today, I took her out to lunch to a small breakfast/lunch cafe near by. I had a "Beach Burger" (melted cheddar & jack cheese, red onion, tomatoes, avocado and sprouts), onion rings and a diet (yeah, I know it hardly matters at this point) coke.

-from the film
Armin

Today must be special. I broke from my traditional chicken sandwich to enjoy leftover hashbrown-cheese-ham casserole. Delicious!