Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Ted Baehr, Tom Snyder, and Movieguide

Baehr sums up the 2014 Oscars...

One thing became clear watching the 86th Annual Oscar Ceremony yesterday. Most of the winners – and most of the nominees – were the same people and movies nominated and chosen by the Independent Spirit Awards, the awards show for independent movies.

If Oscar is going to pick the same things as the independent awards show, why even have an Oscar ceremony at all?

Are these movies really the best movies of the year? No. Few of them are the kind of movies the vast majority of moviegoers has any interest in seeing, judging by box office numbers.

Wow. He's right. The best way to know which movies are "the best movies of the year" is to look at "the best-attended movies of the year."

One thing became clear watching the 86th Annual Oscar Ceremony yesterday. Most of the winners – and most of the nominees – were the same people and movies nominated and chosen by the Independent Spirit Awards, the awards show for independent movies.

If Oscar is going to pick the same things as the independent awards show, why even have an Oscar ceremony at all?

Are these movies really the best movies of the year? No. Few of them are the kind of movies the vast majority of moviegoers has any interest in seeing, judging by box office numbers.

Wow. He's right. The best way to know which movies are "the best movies of the year" is to look at "the best-attended movies of the year."

I actually clicked on that link (I'm a glutton for punishment) and the most shocking thing was the pop-up ad for Ted's latest movie awards show... where RICHIE SAMBORA was a guest!!! When did Bon Jovi's guitarist join Ted's universe? They even misspelled his name on the ad.

IMG_2945s.jpg

Edited by morgan1098

Odd.  I don't remember Gravity winning anything at the Independent Spirit Awards.

I suppose your suggesting the Transformers are NOT the best films of the years they were released? smile.png

Wasn't sure where to post this, but here it is, Why Hollywood Thinks Atheism is Bad for Business:

After Matthew McConaughey took the stage to accept his Best Actor award at the Oscars on Sunday, he began his acceptance speech by thanking God, praising the deity for giving him “opportunities that I know are not of my hand or of any other human hand.” Though McConaughey won for his gripping portrayal of a (straight) AIDS patient in “Dallas Buyer’s Club”—which the influential Christian Web site Movieguide panned for its “very strong and very lewd politically correct, pro-homosexual worldview”—religious conservatives cheered his acceptance speech as a brave strike against Hollywood’s pervasive secular bias, claiming that the Oscar crowd was “rattled” and “quieted” by McConaughey’s praise for the lord.

Wasn't sure where to post this, but here it is, Why Hollywood Thinks Atheism is Bad for Business:

After Matthew McConaughey took the stage to accept his Best Actor award at the Oscars on Sunday, he began his acceptance speech by thanking God, praising the deity for giving him “opportunities that I know are not of my hand or of any other human hand.” Though McConaughey won for his gripping portrayal of a (straight) AIDS patient in “Dallas Buyer’s Club”—which the influential Christian Web site Movieguide panned for its “very strong and very lewd politically correct, pro-homosexual worldview”—religious conservatives cheered his acceptance speech as a brave strike against Hollywood’s pervasive secular bias, claiming that the Oscar crowd was “rattled” and “quieted” by McConaughey’s praise for the lord.

It's strange. Evangelicals used to make fun of artists who thanked God on movie and music awards shows; now they see it as a sign of hope.  When I heard McConaughey's speech I realized that there really haven't been that many "I want to thank God first" moments in awards shows lately. 

Yeah. I used to visit MOVIEGUIDE, and I still do visit there often. However, my perspective on movies is not limited to Baehr and is more wide ranging than his perspective

Matthew thanked God first...but his hero is himself.  That is hopeful for Christians? :)

Movieguide's Ted Baehr and Tom Snyder have a few word usements to structure regarding the 2015 Golden Globes.

Here are some examples of the fine writing and thinking that have established them as authorities in their field.

Once again the Golden Globes Sunday night handed most of their awards to movies and television programs that few people have seen or watch, comparatively speaking.

It's a shame that we'd give an award to something that "few people have watch."

Because, seriously, who doesn't know that the more people watch something, the more award-worthy it must be?!

For example, on the dramatic television front, a big winner was Showtime’s series The Affair, about an adulterous love affair.

Okay, now I finally have an idea of what The Affair was about. By the way, how dramatic is television's back?

Though the co-creator of the show said that the intent of the program is to show that adultery has bad consequences and to prove that marriage vows are “sacred,” the program had less than 750,000 viewers in the 2014 ratings, according to TV Series Finale on Dec. 23.

Movieguide logic at work, ladies and gentlemen: Even though The Affair's intent was morally admirable, less than 750,000 viewers watched it in 2014... so, you know what that means.

Ultimately, the true stars of the evening were the parents of the winners, especially those winners who, like Michael Keaton, thanked their parents for helping them in their private and public lives and in forming their character.

If one reads this sentence several times, it tears a hole in the space/time continuum.

Some people have a way with words, but other people... not have way.

Edited by Overstreet

I mentioned this on Facebook, but I'll (partially) defend the bit where they said "Once again the Golden Globes Sunday night handed most of their awards to movies and television programs that few people have seen or watch, comparatively speaking."

The parallel they're setting up in that sentence is "movies that few people have seen" and "television programs that few people watch".

So they're *not* talking about anything that "few people have watch".

It's an awkwardly written sentence though. You've basically got two parallel objects ("movies" and "television programs") that come together in a single subject ("few people") before branching off again into two different verbs -- and the verbs have different tenses, because movies are one-time entertainments that people "have seen" while television programs are ongoing entertainments that people "watch".

Movieguide's Ted Baehr and Tom Snyder have a few word usements to structure regarding the 2015 Golden Globes.

Here are some examples of the fine writing and thinking that have established them as authorities in their field.

Once again the Golden Globes Sunday night handed most of their awards to movies and television programs that few people have seen or watch, comparatively speaking.

It's a shame that we'd give an award to something that "few people have watch."

Because, seriously, who doesn't know that the more people watch something, the more award-worthy it must be?!

Oh my gosh, they're right! And do you know what that means?

Considering this weekend's box office is going to be topped by 50 Shades of Grey and Kingsman (and maybe American Sniper), the timing of that article is more than a little ironic.

Steven, if I were you I would instead "comment" on the ads being served on christiantoday.com:

I've noticed christiantoday.com being mistaken for Christianity Today before, and this one of many reasons why that makes me wince every time.

Asked to comment... where? In your next NCR piece? 

A friend who blogs at Patheos is writing about 50 Shades and wanted my take on the press release. 

In case anyone was curious: (I'm not dignifying it with a link; y'all know where you can look it up if you want.)

Best movie for family audiences: Heaven is for Real

Best movie for mature audiences: Unbroken

Faith and Freedom award for promoting American values: The Giver

Epiphany prize for inspiring movie: God's Not Dead

Even if you disliked Birdman, I think it's safe to say, the Oscar picks were not even close to the worst award choices this season.

From their article about the Oscars: "GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL may be pretty, but never has so much outward beauty been used to advance so much perversity and obscenity."

Also, their Top 10 movies of 2014 "for Mature Audiences"...

1 – UNBROKEN – Winner of Best Movie for Mature Audiences
2 – CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER
3 – THE GIVER
4 – THE GOOD LIE
5 – TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (2014)
6 – THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES
7 – THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY – PART 1
8 – DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
9 – DIVERGENT
10 – THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2

5 – TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (2014)

6 – THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES

No, just, how is that possible? You would have to strap me down a la Clockwork Orange to get me to watch those.

Also from the Oscar article:

Thankfully, that wasn’t the case for the two Best Animated movies, BIG HERO 6 and FEAST. Those two movies are so good, so heartwarming, so creative that Movieguide® prefers to think of them as the two biggest winners of the night.

So truth and reality no longer have any bearing on what we believe. Explains why they can insist family films top the box office even as Fifty Shades of Grey breaks all sorts of records.

Also, I prefer to think that The Grand Budapest Hotel and Selma won all the important awards (they won the music ones after all), so I guess that makes it so. And Wes Anderson's endearingly unique style of clapping means his film should have won more awards, because I prefer to believe it.

Tom Snyder has been tweeting about how the Oscars were "commie claptrap" and then tweeting a pic from the Oscars, and NPH's Oscar quote that "Movies can shape who we are", and then asking people to donate to Movieguide.org.  So... Oscars are for communists, but we'll exploit them to get more donations.

Edited by Overstreet