Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

Supper / Dinner

(I have a good feeling about this thread, but I am uncertain it will quite rise to the heights of the lunch discussion.)

It's a Friday in Lent, and while I do not follow the requisite Catholic gastronomic tradition, Kim does, so we will probably either have a cheese pizza at a local place or go to Captain D's (not great, but better than LJS while not being terribly more expensive).

Last night, Kim and I split an Arby's half-chicken, with curly fries and mac & cheese as sides. (There was also a zucchini muffin, but Kim won't eat it and I just picked at the outside like I usually do.) We both had water to drink: Hers with lemon, mine without.

Wednesday I made chicken quesadillas: with cheddar cheese for me, and with mozzarella cheese for Kim. There was no side. I had orange juice to drink [1]. Kim had milk.

I do not remember my Tuesday supper.

Dale

[1] I have orange juice to drink with almost every at-home meal. Yet now I have a very bad cold. What is up with that. What.

Last night, Mrs. CrimsonLine made a beef stir-fry with peppers, onions, carrots sliced paper-thin, and broccoli. On the side, she made some spicy potato wedges that I love quite a bit. I had a glass of skim milk, my 2-year-old son had chocolate milk, and my wife had coffee-milk. That's milk with coffee syrup in it, which I never knew existed till we came to MA.

The night before, we had soft tacos with taco-flavored chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, and a combination of shredded jack and cheddar cheeses.

On Wednesday night, we had Meat Bun Bake, a kind of casserole with cabbage, ground beef, cheese, and a Bisquick biscuit topping. Very yummy.

On Tuesday night, we had pot roast, done in the slow cooker all day (smelled heavenly) with red potatoes, onions, and carrots.

I drink a tall glass of skim milk with virtually every meal. And yet, I have not grown udders nor started to moo. What is up with. That?

Diane   

Leftover meatloaf. Leftover mac 'n' cheese. A slice of chocolate angel food cake.

Of all the dishes I make, my wife who has simpler tastes than I do, likes nachos the best huh.gif . Being Friday and one of the traditional nacho nights, I'm making a seviche of some Tilapia and putting it in a modified (ie, less spicey and complex) version of what I normally do for nachos. Meatless Fridays is one of the only things I've been able to be consistent with in this, so far disasterous of Lents.

All I know so far is that my wife has taken out Halibut to thaw, and that there is a bottle of cheap ($6) French white wine in the fridge. Of course, she'll make something wonderful - she always does.

Now I've got to go home and have dinner--my empty stomach just did a somersault at the thought of cheese nachos.

You could make cheese nachos easily! I'm going to put the seviche under the cheese with some tomatoes, garlic, and onions.

menacegrin.gif

I've got a Kabinet Riesling that a vendor sold me at cost that I might serve if Dena isn't too tired when she gets in.

mrmando   

Lamb shoulder. Flour and seasone with salt, pepper. Brown in olive oil and bake 1 hr. Add garlic, onions, white wine, olive oil, bay leaves, tomatoes. Bake an additional 30 min. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes.

Then get on a redeye to Washington, D.C.!

SZPT   

liver, fava beans, a nice chianti.

fpfpfpfpfpfpfpfp.

SZPT   

...er, kidding 'bout that last one.

Had a FREE large pizza from Papa Johns. Sausage and ham (Canadian bacon). They said they didn't satisfy us on our last order and gave us a coupon. Not true, but we'll take it!

amo   

I'm not real big on introducing myself, so I'll just say hi and that this is my first post. You can check out my web site if you want to know more about me.

Anyway, reading the "supper" thread made me want to share a recipe I found last week, that I just love! It's meatless, for those of us who are participating in a Lenten fast. I posted it on my web page, but for your convenience, I'll post it here.

Again, please forgive me for just jumping in!

hearty bean soup

1 can hominy

1 can garbanzo beans

1 can pinto beans

1 can kidney beans

6- to 8-oz can tomato sauce

1 package chili/taco/mexican seasoning

(Cans are 15-16 ounces except where noted otherwise.)

Process hominy and garbanzo beans in food processor until well blended. In a large saucepan (preferably nonstick), combine all ingredients and stir. Add water if necessary to thin to desired consistency and keep from sticking. Heat thoroughly over very low heat, stirring frequently. This "stick to your ribs" soup has a strong tendency to stick to the pan!

No better place to "jump in" than in the "supper" thread. smile.gif

We've been investigating buying a side of beef. We have the storage room (freezer downstairs), and we have friends interested in going in on a purchase. But they want organic, of "grass-fed" beef, as opposed to "corn fed" beef, which results in fattier meat.

Today we drove an hour west to pick up some samples of "mostly organic" meat; the farmer feeds corn to the animals during the latter part of their lives, so the meat has some marbling. He cautioned us that the meat is still very lean, and therefore can be easily overcooked. He encouraged us to keep a close eye on the meat while it's cooking, and to err on the side of rarer meat.

We have two small steaks, one large one, and a pound of ground beef to split with our friends, but we may part of our portion this evening.

I'm not real big on introducing myself, so I'll just say hi and that this is my first post.

A foodie, but not a spellie. I think it's "gilding the lily".

And tonight: Soft tacos with ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, and shredded cheddar cheese, with a tall glass of skim milk.

Nummers!

amo   
This sounds rather good, but I can't help guilding the lilly. Were you to soak the various beans from a dry state overnight and then through it all in a crockpot in the morning (mashing the hominy and garbanzos first), it might even be better. A little garlic and onion.....? I'm a foodie. Sorry, and welcome. So why are you so observing Lent?

Short answer: My husband is Anglo-Catholic; before we married, I agreed to be an Anglo-Catholic. Part of that is meatless Lent, more or less. The longer answer is too long to post here, but let's just say my sympathies are Anglo-Catholic, even though you could say I'm not "there" yet.

I'm not much of a cook, but it would very likely be better (and cheaper) to soak the dry beans and such. I already modified the recipe from where I got it, hadn't gotten around to trying to modify it more.

Thanks for the welcome!

Short answer:  My husband is Anglo-Catholic; before we married, I agreed to be an Anglo-Catholic.  Part of that is meatless Lent, more or less.  The longer answer is too long to post here, but let's just say my sympathies are Anglo-Catholic, even though you could say I'm not "there" yet. 

Well, well. I am a recent evangelical convert to Anglo-Catholicism myself. Anytime you come through Detroit, you might enjoy St. John's of Detroit. Always on the lookout for good high church services if I travel, could I ask where you live?

A foodie, but not a spellie. I think it's "gilding the lily".

Ouch, that hurts. As long as I am not at a keyboard, I'm a walking spellcheck. My fingers frustrate this part of my brain.

Had a Corned beef and cabbage potluck for lunch after church today. Stayed away from the cabbage, but had a wonderful warm black bean and corn salad, spuds au gratin, cole slaw (my contribution), and seven layer salad on the side.

I think supper is cold, dinner is hot.

amo   
Well, well. I am a recent evangelical convert to Anglo-Catholicism myself. Anytime you come through Detroit, you might enjoy St. John's of Detroit. Always on the lookout for good high church services if I travel, could I ask where you live?

I'm in metro Atlanta, Georgia (Church of Our Saviour). Let me know if you're ever in town, I'll meet you there smile.gif

Diane   

Over the weekend:

Saturday night: The best hot and sour soup in the city. I'm lucky enough to live about 3 minutes away from a Chinese restaurant.

Sunday: Chicken pot pie (not homemade, but frozen). I'm with you, Alan

Mark   

Ooh, a food thread! I can so get into this.

Friday night - We usually observe meatless Fridays for Lent, and Fridays are usually pizza night. Last week I threw one together quickly, and it pretty much stank. Had a couple of side salads.

Saturday - Chicken teriyaki stir fry, with twice-baked potatoes. Awesome recipe for the potatoes includes ranch dressing, cheddar cheese, broccoli and a touch of parsley. Still got a couple left over in the fridge, so lunch for tomorrow is set.

Sunday - Soy burgers (not a big fan, but I've grown a healthy distaste for ground beef) sauteed with fresh marinated peppers and onions, with baked beans and my wife's award-winning mashed potatoes on the side.

Tonight - Cheez-it chicken (yeah, just what it sounds like, fast and easy, but tastes pretty good). Probably mashed potatoes again and a veggie on the side.

Tonight it's soft tacos with low-carb tortillas.

And I wonder why I gained two-and-a-half pounds last week! huh.gif

Alan, my wife leaves for the in-laws' place tomorrow, so if you have any survival tips, do share...