Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M. Dale Prins

Supper / Dinner

60 posts in this topic

4 whole rainbow trout (cleaned, but leave the heads)

4 to 6 cloves garlic, smashed

1 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp lemon rind, grated

2 tbsp cracked black pepper

1 tsp kosher salt

4 sprigs fresh rosemary

4 sprigs fresh oregano

3 tbsp cooking oil

Wash the trout and pat dry. In a small bowl or ramekin, combine the lemon rind, smashed garlic, black pepper and salt. Add and mix with lemon juice. Heat a grill to medium high, or indirect heat.

In each trout's cavity, add 1/4 of the lemon rind mixture. Brush the skin of the trout with the oil. Place whole trout on the grill. Cook on each side 5 to 7 minutes (to taste). Remove from grill, rest for 5 minutes. Serve with a salad, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and grilled corn on the cob. Best with a chilled dry or semi-sweet white wine, but goes well with a lager. Serves 4 to 5.

A dinner for the impressing of in-laws. Successfully acheived tonight.

WOW. What a meal last night. I got off work late and the Babe wanted Middle Eastern. All my nearby faves were closed for dinner!? I then went to an Iraqi place near home called "The Sands" which had changed looks a few times. As I walked in, I saw a cheap glitz version of those Italian coffeee houses you see in movies where the local mob boss has an office. Here it was clusters of old guys around tables arguing about stuff. Beyond a partitian they were setting up a sort of dinner joint/dancehall thing.

I want real Iraqi (so many ape Lebanese), so I ask what Mutabbak is. The guy asks, "Have you had Chilifry?". Without thinking, I say, "Of course!", until I see that what sounds like "chillie fries" is $11.99 on the menu and nobody in his right mind can eat twelve bucks worth of chillie fries unless on a dare. I ask just what that is and it it is perfect for the Babe. Both are sort of stir frys with Mutabbak being more stewish and spicey. That infernal "Iraqi secret spice" combo with something else. We loved it all. Excellent stuff. I had a South African Cabernet with mine.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Tonight we're going to "A Taste of Lakewood" with booths from various restaurants. Keep in mind that Lakewood is not a culinary mecca. But the library gets money from it. And there will be fireworks.

I think I was restrained only by physics.

What a great line. I'd be a lot more svslte today if I had paid more attention to physics over the years myself.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Tonight's dinner? 

Beer and nachos.

That is all.

There is thread necromancy at work here. I'm hip to your game, Christian.

I guess this thread isn't about the eternal debate of whether to call it supper or dinner.

The correct answer, of course, is that supper is always the evening meal, while dinner is the largest meal of the day, whether it's at midday or in the evening.

Dinner is when you drink wine.

The correct answer, of course, is that supper is always the evening meal, while dinner is the largest meal of the day, whether it's at midday or in the evening.

I've never been able to figure that out, but it makes perfect sense as stated. Thank you!

I will now eat a celebratory meal.

Tonight's dinner: stew and homemade apple sauce, with a beer.