Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Wine

Summer is here and finally, out come the overpriced Muscadets. But Saturday night celebrating my first two days off in a row since saying goodbye to Mom, Salvatore' Scallopini was selling Spanish wines in flights, or a glass of any for $7.95. A bit high, but I bit on an Albarino from Martin Codax. Way over chilled, but the last half glass exploded with peach, berries, and grapefruit all over my pallette. Wikipedia says thais grape could be a riesling clone and the wine can be reminiscent of a viognier. OTOH, viogniers, at least the ones I've had, are like drinking perfume. This had restrained if any fragrances and any herbal notes were muted (sheesh, I sound like a newspaper weekend wine critic). Oh, I had what they call Pollo Francese. Chicken breasts in a light egg batter in a reduced lemon and wine sauce, smothered in sliced and sauteed garlic. The wine was an easy match.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

We realized last week that we had nothing but expensive wine (>$15) around the house. So we took a little trip over to K&L Wines the other night and picked up a few favorite cheap wines:

05 Elsa, Malbec, 7: heck of a wine for seven bucks

05 Avalon, Cab, 10: already mentioned above, an old favorite

04 Shenandoah, Zin, 9: don't drink zins too often, this one made me want to change that

05 Marquis Philips, Sarah's blend, 13: not exactly cheap, but we like Marquis Philips...try their Shiraz!

Edited by Jeff Kolb

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

last weekend we picked up a Bonny Doon Syrah (Domaine des Blagueurs) for $7 at Trader Joe's. Its the one with what looks like a playing card joker and has Syrah and Sirrah written where Joker would be. Good buy. One of the best <$10 wines we've had of late. It would still be a decent buy at twice the price.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

For those near Trader Joe's, the current manifestation of Two Buck Chuck Chardonnay is pretty good. Managed a double gold at CA State Fair. (Charles Shaw for those who haven't heard of this before, but since it sells for $1.99 a bottle, the name evolved pretty quickly)

-from the film
Armin

French Muscadet for $4.99 at TJ's. It's not bad and, for once, priced comparably to prices in France itself. Muscadet is catching on here in Detroit, but there is price gouging. When Andrew and I explored Asheville together a couple of years ago, the going price seemed to be about $11. Some snooty wine stores here have convinced their clientel that $16 to $25 is about right for "vintage" Muscadet, the national Thunderbird/two buck chuck wine of France (but waaaay better).

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

At a tasting yesterday, we came across a couple good buys. From Spain, 2006 Bodegas Borsao, Vina Borgia for $6 - very nicely fruity, somewhere in between raspberry, cherry and cranberry. From Argentina, 2005 Vila, Tino Fundacion (a blend of Bonarda, Malbec and Cab) for $9 - very fruity, this is a great example of light summer red. There was also a Tempranillo (2005 Vega Moragona) that we didn't buy, but was a good buy at $9 - sort of like a slightly thin Zin.

-from the film
Armin

Last night we had a Pouilly-Fuisse that my wife discovered and bought 3 bottles of at $15/per. I thought it a bit thin and thought we should compare it to the Two Buck Chuck Chardonnay we'd opened earlier. The TBC was at least as good. And we can buy almost 2 cases for what she paid for 3 bottles. I see a trip to TJs in my future.

-from the film
Armin

Who's Pouilly? Louis Jadot's? That seems to be the price for theirs these days.

Who's Pouilly? Louis Jadot's? That seems to be the price for theirs these days.

Laboure' Roi

-from the film
Armin

Anybody else able to shop at BevMo? They have a section of 5 cent sale wine -- buy one, get the 2nd for 5 cents (essentially a 2 for one). We've discovered that we think the stuff we have gotten from that section is worth the discounted price, but no great bargain. E.g., tonight we drank a 39 Degrees Sauvignon Blanc that was $14 (or 2 for $14.05) We think it's ok as a $7 wine, but overpriced at $14. That seems to be how all the ones we've gotten from the 5 cent area are.

-from the film
Armin

We used to shop at BevMo more than we currently do. I think we got a couple of the 2 for 1 deals, but never found any wines that stood out, even at the reduced price. Generally, they have a nice wine selection and I think the prices are fair. These days we mostly get liquor there. K&L Wines simply has better selection, much better service, and comparable prices.

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

For those who have Fresh and Easy stores available, we picked up one of each of their 4 wines priced at $2. Last night we had a Big Kahuna Shiraz Cab blend and a Vista Point Merlot. The Kahuna was drinkable, but just. A bit chemical. The Vista Point Merlot, however, was pretty good (considering price). Good fruit, but not a lot of complexity. It would be a good $6-8 wine. Tonight we crack open the Big Kahuna Chardonnay

-from the film
Armin

A Washington Post article takes me to the Budometer, which surveys my taste preferences and provides my taste preference chart, in three columns that you'll have to align by using your imagination:

Flavor Your Preference Most Wines

Sweetness dry Dry

Intensity (Body, Strength) extremely high intensity Moderate Intensity

Fruit moderately low fruit Moderate Fruit

Oak high oak Moderate Oak

Tannins (bitterness) moderately high tannins Moderate Tannins

Acidity (tartness) high acidity Balanced Acidity

The results then take me to a page that matched my preferences to particular wines, resulting in this list.

Hmmm. Lots of chardonnay on there

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I line up almost exactly like most wines

Flavor Your Preference Most Wines

Sweetness: dry Dry

Intensity (Body, Strength): moderate intensity Moderate Intensity

Fruit: high fruit Moderate Fruit

Oak: moderate oak Moderate Oak

Tannins (bitterness): moderate tannins Moderate Tannins

Acidity (tartness): balanced acidity Balanced Acidity

Although I think it probably rates my desire for intensity a bit low.

Edited by Darrel Manson

-from the film
Armin

Crushpad allows you to do-it-yourself. I think I'll pass. a whole barrel (25 cases) seems a bit much of any one thing.

-from the film
Armin

I just bought a case of the white wine served by our church at the conclusion of its recent "Christ and the Arts" conference:

CHATEAU BONNET

ENTRE-DEUX-MERS

BORDEAUX BLANC 2006

A blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Semillion and a bit of Muscadelle. Has a nose of lemon, grapefruit and straw. Medium bodied and very crisp with good acidity and some sweetness. It ends with sugary fruit and a tingle of acidity and alcohol.

We'll be serving it at Sarah's book reception this Saturday. This is the first case of a single wine that I've ever purchased. Stuff is good!

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Christmas Wish-List Alert! The Wine Snob's Dictionary is now out!

Edited by Christian

Trader Joe fans: Two Buck Chuck has a nouveau wine out that is pretty good.

-from the film
Armin

Had the 07 Two Buck Chuck Chardonnay last night. Didn't do a head to head with the 06, but my wife and I both thought it was more acidic than the 06 was, and thus not quite as smooth. But still quite drinkable.

-from the film
Armin

I dont drink wine very much these days, but the wife still does. For the past year we have consistently bought the 2005 Jacob's Creek Shiraz Cabernet at a hefty $6.99 off the shelf at Publix. We got a couple, pricier gift bottles over the holidays but nothing that came close to the pleasantness of the cheapo Jacobs Creek. Very highly recommended.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Has anyone purchased The Wine Lover's Page-A-Day Calendar 2009? I went looking for a discounted copy today, but alas, the calendar cart at the mall is all sold out.

Edited by Christian

Had the newest version of Charles Shaw ($2 Chuck) Sauv. Blanc the other night, pretty thin and unremarkable.

-from the film
Armin