Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Russ

Film Club

206 posts in this topic

I'm sorry, Ken and Beth and Russ and everyone else. I was in a goofy mood. It happens. (.... and I'm holding back urge to make another very derailing joke even as I type this brief apology.)

New rule. Let's stick to the topic. I like: Slacker, Fanny and Alexander, and then Heart of Light. This will be great fun.

-s.

All right, so we're on for Slacker with open discussion starting next Monday?

I assume then we should try to watch the film this week and send some written response to Monsieur Hughes by, when, Darren? How much time would you need to sift through responses and then open the discussion?

In light of Easter weekend, should we shoot for perhaps sending you responses by Monday and then opening discussion Wednesday?

I wasn't thinking, "Please turn in your homework assignments to Darren before class on Monday." Instead, I just think we should extend some kind of grace period -- maybe the first day of the discussion -- for posting our own initial impressions of the film, freed from the pressure of thinking that we'll instantly be put on the defensive for having a contrary opinion or for making a debatable word choice. (Maybe I'm being unnecessarily cautious after being burned one [or five or fifteen] too many times around here.) I'm a fan of Slacker but I have no doubt that some of you will be bored, frustrated, and/or unimpressed by it, and, ideally, everyone should have their say before a back-and-forth begins.

There's a danger, of course, in formalizing things too much. But I'd like to try launching the discussion with a post that works to synthesize our initial reactions, finding common threads, common complaints, whatever. I'll also try to pose useful discussion questions. From there on, it's a free-for-all.

And, for the record, when I suggest that we each write some kind of personal response to the film, I have absolutely no fixed idea about what that should look like. It could be a formal review or a personal anecdote about that year that you took off a semester of school to play in a band. I'm planning to write up a diary response like those I post on my blog every once in a while -- part formal analysis, part cultural criticism, all written informally in the first person. It works for me. Your mileage will vary.

How about we start the new thread on Tuesday morning, leave that entire day free for discussion-less postings, then on Wednesday morning I'll post my synthesis and questions?

How about we start the new thread on Tuesday morning, leave that entire day free for discussion-less postings, then on Wednesday morning I'll post my synthesis and questions?

"That sounds like a good idea", if I may quote my 2 year old.

I understood "writing" part of this assignment as a personal thing in order to have a more fully thought out discussion foundation. If we are turning papers in, do I have to register and pay for credit hours? (tongue in cheek, people, tongue...in...cheek)

I just think we should extend some kind of grace period -- maybe the first day of the discussion -- for posting our own initial impressions of the film, freed from the pressure of thinking that we'll instantly be put on the defensive for having a contrary opinion or for making a debatable word choice. 

I, for one, like this idea because I'm not very well-versed in film criticism and might otherwise feel intimidated about posting an opinion that sounds uninformed (even if it is). Film criticism doesn't come as easily to me as literary criticism, and I have a tendency with films to focus too much on plot and character development.

Heh, interesting. It's on sale 300 yards away from me at

Deep Discount DVD. cool.gif

-s.

Edited by stef

I have a tendency with films to focus too much on plot and character development.

Well, yeah, then I'll be really interested to hear what you have to say about Slacker, seeing as how it has neither. wink.gif

Slacker got a home video release some time in the early-90s, but I don't recall ever seeing it in a Blockbuster. It doesn't surprise me to hear that they aren't stocking the new Criterion DVD release, either.

Maybe we should do an official status check on Thursday or Friday to make sure that enough of us have gotten our hands on the film.

Edited by Darren H

Heh, interesting.  It's on sale 300 yards away from me at

Deep Discount DVDcool.gif

-s.

So what are you waiting for? And, may I borrow it please?

I will pick it up tonight. And I will loan it to you, my friend, in a heartbeat.

-s.

You are too much!

What, do they have a drive-thru window? It's, like, a warehouse and a truck, right?

What, do they have a drive-thru window?

Edited by stef

Wow, I overlooked this thread upon returning from vacation late last week; I'm so glad it got revived today. Count me in - I've placed 'Slacker' at the top of my Netflix queue, so I imagine I'll get ahold of it late this week or early next week. I really enjoyed the Decalogue conversation that I started to participate in last year, before my brain got fried by work stress. I'm very excited by this new endeavor, and with a happier life at present, I'm optimistic that I can stay involved.

Darren - I've recently moved to Johnson City but haven't yet made the trek to Knoxville, so I'm not sure of distance, convenience, etc. - would it be possible to get together occasionally to see and discuss these films?

Johnson City's about a two-hour drive from here. Probably a bit too far for a quick chat. If you're ever near here, though, let me know. I love having people over for film viewings. It's the only way I can justify the money I've burned on home theater equipment. wink.gif

Truly fab. All three flicks molto interesto.

And let's forget neither M nor Veronique. Five fab films, fershure!

Ah, that's too bad then, Darren - maybe we can try for sometime this summer, when my wife and kids are up north visiting family and friends for a couple of weeks - I'll have plenty of free time then.

And please lemme know if you're ever going to find yourself near the Tri-Cities area...

So Slacker comes back to the library yesterday, and I picked it up from the reserve shelf last night. Turns out it's a decrepit VHS, cracked and all. I've no idea if the sucker'll even work. Looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. Now I've gotta call the video store and make sure they've got a copy just in case ...

Just so I know which one to place in my Netflix queue, which Fanny and Alexander version will we be discussing: theatrical or TV?

Oh, has anyone seen Vinterberg's 'The Celebration'? Would it merit our consideration?

Oh, has anyone seen Vinterberg's 'The Celebration'?  Would it merit our consideration?

I love that film.

Oh, has anyone seen Vinterberg's 'The Celebration'?

I haven't recieved it yet either. I think the Queen has it checked out right now.

Well, we'll extend the discussion as long as we need to in order to accomodate film-acquisition snafus.

I'll still plan to open the Slacker thread tomorrow morning so that we can begin posting our initial responses, but I'll hold off on the synthesis and discussion questions until more than just a few of us have posted.

Mine should be shipping today. I've been

a slacker at sending back my netflix offerings

this week.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0