Sign in to follow this  
BethR

Wonder Woman movie

I vote for Lynn Collins. I don't even care about Wonder Woman movies, but one thing I will say after seeing John Carter: Lynn Collins is the first candidate I've heard about that feels absolutely right.

Tyler   

Michelle MacLeavin'

“Given creative differences, Warner Bros. and Michelle MacLaren have decided not to move forward with plans to develop and direct Wonder Woman together”

Edited by Tyler

NBooth   

Between this trailer and the one for Justice League, it's evident that the people running the DC Cinematic Universe really know how to do trailers.

I guess I'm in the Maltin/Edelstein/Douthat camp that found this film kind of clunky.

It didn't help that the very first scenes of Amazonian combat training looked like computer games (and quite a few of the special effects that come up later in the film had that look for me, too). (I saw this film in 2D, incidentally. Don't know if it would have looked better in 3D.)

It's... problematic... how the film asks us to assume right off the bat that the Brits are the "good guys" in World War I and the Germans are the "bad guys". This ain't World War II, y'know; there aren't any Nazis yet.

Diana's naivete is amusing and handled well in some scenes, but in others you find yourself wishing that the character would reflect a little more on what she's doing. She's here to stop war... but when she charges across No Man's Land she's allowing the Allies to kill a lot of Germans. And (SPOILER ALERT) when she learns that she has executed the wrong man in cold blood, she... never really has to deal with that fact. She just goes on to fight *another* person to the death. (Is Wonder Woman the story of how a child raised far from civilization was radicalized and pursued an act of religious violence -- scapegoating -- against the wrong target? Come to think of it, that whole subplot where she assumes she has to kill a certain person *without any evidence whatsoever* is handled rather superficially.)

The multicultural-team stuff kept reminding me of last year's remake of The Magnificent Seven, which did it better.

The fact that this film has a framing device set in the present day lends a certain poignancy to the rest of the film, because the rest of the film happens 99 years ago and that means basically everyone we see (except for the Amazonians) is dead now. Unless somehow they pulled a Bucky Barnes or something.

Were European army units racially integrated a hundred years ago?

The controversy over the (technically illegal) women-only screenings is kind of ironic in light of the actual movie, the arc of which takes Diana *away* from the somewhat repressive woman-only island on which she was raised and into a world where she can hang out with the guys, etc. Diana just somehow seems more alive when she asks that Scottish guy to sing for her than she ever did on Paradise Island. And of course she ends up ignoring/subverting what the elders taught her about women not needing men for pleasure. A call to gender-segregated seclusion, this movie is not.

I got a kick out of Chris Pine being the object of the female gaze, as it were. And -- as one who has endured the Star Trek reboot movies -- I was tempted to roll my eyes when he got his hands on yet another motorcycle.

I had no idea David Thewlis was in this film before I saw it. I always like seeing him onscreen. I could listen to that voice forever. Or at least longer than I heard it here.

Etta Candy was a fun scene-stealer, too. Wouldn't have complained if the film had had more of her.

Your comment about David Thewlis' voice is probably the thing I've agreed with you on the most since I started posting here. Hah

Justin Hanvey wrote:
: Your comment about David Thewlis' voice is probably the thing I've agreed with you on the most since I started posting here. Hah

Heh.

My kids were watching him in one of the Harry Potter movies the other day. Love him as Remus Lupin, especially in Prisoner of Azkaban.

NBooth   

I liked this one. It's still way too dark, visually, and the framing device really doesn't work. And the action scene at the end was chaotic. 

But. This movie actually does something interesting with the general pessimism of the DC cinematic universe, and in a way that is supported by the movie itself (that is, it's not action with a smattering of themes; the action and the theme reinforce each other). So it's satisfying as a movie apart from its franchise setting. 

Overall, this movie is better than the other two entries in the DCU (not hard) and better than most of the MCU (a little harder, but not much).