Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Very nice doc. My wife, about 2/3 of the way through said, this is better than Winged Migration. That, I think, based on the birds less as objects, and as personalities. Also because there is so much about Mark Bittner, whom the film is as much about as the birds themselves. He, too, is something of a wild, untamed bird.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Since I never saw "Winged Migration", I've got nothing to compare "Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill" to. However, I, too agree that it was a very nice documentary, and that Mark Bittner himself is a bit odd. While "Wild Parrots" is definitely not West Side Story, it's definitely worth seeing.

This film has become something of a sensation in the local arthouse where it's playing. I haven't got out to see it yet, but it's been held over for a couple of extra weeks. Apparently a very strong review by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's critic sparked a lot of interest and there was an out-the-door-and-around-the-sidewalk line for the following weekend. A nice success story, and apparently a testament to the film's quality.

Edited by Russ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found it to be an interesting film studying how much we can learn about ourselves while living in harmony with the birds and animals. But I liked Weeping Camel far more. This one is so anthropmorphic in its dialogue that it takes much of the mystery away. Weeping Camel lets you sit with the experience of truly "knowing" the camels.

Here is my review on the Wild Parrots.

Here is my review on Weeping Camel

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

It was here. I skipped it due to the G Rating. Sounds like my loss. Too bad.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

By that standard, you should get around to seeing The Straight Story one of these days, pal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep. Same exact reasoning. I guess that will have to change as the little girlie and the one on the way grow up. Maybe I'll be reviewing cartoons for kids in a few years (and noting the spirituality therein).

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I enjoyed it. I loved the visuals of the film and the way the birds personalities were brought out. I liked the sense of place of Telegraph Hill, a unique character in its own right, and how we get to know Mark Bittner, an odd yet likeable character himself.

Edited by Crow

Saw it on Mother's Day, with Mom. I admit to dozing off during it, but it wasn't due to the movie--'twas was a long day for me. Still, quite touching and enjoyable, and my Mom couldn't have had a better time at the movies, which is all I can ask for.

Nick

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

Apples and oranges.

Winged Migration is 100 percent about birds. Wild Parrots is mostly about humans. Mark is the real subject of the film. The film points out how birds have human characteristics, and the fact that human "interference" with nature is the only reason that the parrots appeared in San Francisco in the first place.

While I really enjoy documentaries like Winged Migration and March of the Penguins, I'll take a human story over an animal story any day. I generally find them more interesting becuase I can relate to the subjects in some way... with the exeption of maybe Timothy Treadwell of Grizzly Man. I can't relate to that guy at all.

I have a blog? here at A&F that I sometimes post in.