Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fantasy Baseball, Anyone?

150 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Edited by kenmorefield

Posted · Report post

I'd be there, but I'm already up to my 3 team limit at Yahoo. Pity.

Posted · Report post

I may want to try this...

Posted · Report post

Sure, although I'm better at Fantasy Football.

Dale

Posted · Report post

I'd be interested in joining.

Posted · Report post

I would be willing to give this a try. I used to be involved in a fantasy baseball league, but that was several years ago.

Posted · Report post

Looks like it's full now. Drat.

Posted · Report post

Crap, I missed it too.

Posted · Report post

It's that time of year again. Who's interested? Maybe we can compare notes and see how we'd like the league set up. Live or auto draft? points, roto or head to head (if you don't know what these are, they can be explained)? What categories do we want to use? (I find the traditional 5x5 categories pretty boring.)

Posted · Report post

I should note that I view the fantasy games we do here as entry level -- we need to keep it simple enough for newbies not to get lost in the process.

Posted · Report post

I am interested but I know nothing, so I defer to your judgment in all matters concerning how the league is set up.

Posted · Report post

I'd like to try it this year. I do like "simple", though. :)

Posted · Report post

I'm interested. Doing it the same way we did it last year would be fine (auto-draft, points instead of head-to-head). I would eliminate a couple of points categories, (innings pitched and games pitched), but would keep the other categories as they are.

Posted · Report post

IP is pretty standard for a pitching stat in fantasy, because it is the main way a pitcher can get positive points. That Ks and Ws. Just about everything else counts against him. Games pitched, was probably designed to give a bit more value to RPs other than closers -- in most fantasy games middle RPs and set up men are pretty worthless. Occasionally someone will throw in holds as a category, but unless you're doing roto that likely won't be important. Some RPs will help K/9 and WHIP slightly, but usually not enough to make much difference. Of course those last two categories don't work in point scoring anyway.

BTW, for newbies to fantasy, let me define some terms. Roto is a scoring system in which your players stats are totaled up and you get points for your position in various statistical categories relative to other players. For example in a 10 team league, if you had more RBIs than anyone else, you'd have 10 points. Whoever was next would have 9 points, etc. If that same team had pitchers with fewer K's than any other team. It would only get 1 point for that category. The total points from the rankings are combined to rank teams (It's less complicated than it sounds.)

Head to head also involves various categories, but you are only competing against one team at a time. Which ever team does better in each category gets a win for that category, a loss if the other team is better, and a draw if you tie at the end of the game period (usually a week).

In point scoring, points are assigned for various events. For example, a hit may be worth 1 point, a double 2, HR 4, RBI 1, K (by batter) -1, GIDP -2, etc. Pitchers might get +5 for a W, -3 for a L, +1 for K, -1 for hits and walks, etc.

Posted · Report post

Sounds as if point scoring would encompass more, as opposed to head-to-head. And I think innings pitched is critical in these days of short relievers, long relievers, and closers. Games pitched I think could be shelved if necessary.

I'll need some instructions on how to play--i.e. how do I draft, trade, keep score, and all that jazz. Also, would it be through Yahoo or another website (I know there are hundreds).

Posted · Report post

Yahoo is fairly easy. When I get around to forming a league, I'll post the info here. To draft (assuming an auto draft) you'll just need to set your draft queue. There is a default, but it makes it feel like you've done something if you reorder them a bit. Besides, there are almost always a few players there who tore a rotator cuff the first outing in ST and are out for the season. It's terrible to pick on of them in an early round then have to cut them and pick through the free agents for a pathetic replacement.

Posted (edited) · Report post

For the record, last year we used a roto format. The stat categories were: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, APP, IP, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

I'll probably set a a league this weekend. Let your voice be heard. At this point it seems points are favored.

Edited by Darrel Manson

Posted · Report post

My thoughts on if we do point scoring (this is all open to revision -- either by suggestions or by my own revisio):

For batters: H: 1, 2b: 2, 3b: 3, HR: 4, BB: .5 (I don't think a walk is as good as a hit), R: 1, RBI: 1, SB: 1, Caught Stealing: -1, GIDP: -2, K: -1, E: -1

For pitchers: IP: 2 (that comes to 2/3 per out), W: 5, L: -3, S: 3, K: 1, ER: -1, WP: -1, H: -.5 HPB: -1, BB: -.5, Balk: -.5

Posted · Report post

Haven't done points before. Sounds interesting. Count me in.

Posted · Report post

I like the idea of doing a points league, and I think those categories would work. The only question I had about IP earlier, was that the maximum number of IP in a season for a team was capped in the Roto league. In a points league, I don't see a problem.

Posted · Report post

Maximum IP (and max games played by position) are designed to simulate a season. I'll prbably set the games played at 162 and the IP at 1450 (which is just under 9x162). That IP number will still be more than a 4SP rotation and a couple RPs would pitch. I'll likely do 2 SP, 2 RP, and 3 P (where you can play either SP or RP).

Posted · Report post

I've set up the league. Come and play. Go to http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1 and when you create a team, join custom league -- info below.

League # 110001

Password: slurve

I'll change the status on draft late in March, so you have plenty of time to get ready for the draft.

There are some variations to what I listed above, so be sure to look at the settings.

Posted · Report post

A little bump -- 3 of us have joined the league so far. There's plenty of room. And more players makes it more of a challenge when your first round draft pick gets hurt and you have to find a replacement.

Posted · Report post

I completely and totally forgot. Unfortunately, things are heating up at work and home, and I don't have time. :( :(

I'm sorry. Maybe next year.

Posted · Report post

Made it through my first draft last night (a live draft). I was only around for the first few rounds, so the team did get a bit lopsided later with too many infielders and catchers. Currently negotiating a trade to boost my SP staff, then I'll go dumpster diving (I mean to the waiver wire) to fill in OF postions