Sign in to follow this  
opus

Arts&Faith Mentioned On MetaFilter

I was perusing MetaFilter today, and saw this post, which originally referenced this thread, but has become a discussion of the forum in general. There are some negative comments, but also a number of positive ones as well.

Thanks opus. That link/post is great. I appreciate the thoughtful consideration most of them gave A&F postings and links.

I wonder if Jeffrey or SDG thought they would be the object in such a conversation.

Maybe we should change the title of this thread to, J.O. and SDG, look what you've started.

Opus,

Thank you for making the link to that forum. Excellent. It is the response we often get to our work (cinema in focus) since we write for a secular audience.

There is such a negative view toward Christians in general and Christians who love art giving our input to the public debate in particular, then when they read our type of reviews and commentaries they often respond with a new level of openness and respect. That was the reaction we got about our participation in a forum on KCET - Los Angeles on Ethics in Hollywood program.

I think it is interesting that they link to my Sixth Sense column, and then another writer quoted it as an example of being thoughtful about the subject. I have found that the whole area of death is one area where people are willing to talk about films as it relates to their own life. As my seminary professor used to remind us "None of us are going to get out of this alive!" That common reality makes us have a common interest - whether religious or non-religious.

Denny

Edited by Denny Wayman