Sign in to follow this  
MattPage

The Office: USA

EW.com is reporting James Spader might join the cast, but not as Michael Scott's replacement:

producers have a different role in mind for Spader: CEO of Dunder Mifflin, replacing Kathy Bates, who sources say will exit the show to focus on season 2 of Harry’s Law....

...if all goes according to plan, Spader’s character — named “Robert California” — will be introduced in the premiere as the new Office manager. He quickly decides the role is too small for him, and somehow talks corporate into appointing him as its new CEO.

Not sure what to make of this, since Bates was never CEO of Dunder Mifflin. She owned Sabre, the company that bought out Dunder Mifflin. I guess you could say she was in charge of the company, but that wasn't her title.

Season premiere update, in case anyone cares: Robert California (James Spader) is the company's new CEO. He talked Jo (Kathy Bates) out of her job somehow. The new office manager is Andy Bernard.

Catherine Tate is coming back.
maybe Tate is returning to Scranton in a bit of a Dr. Who crossover, where she and David Tennant arrive via TARDIS in order to fix the rift in time that allowed for the eighth season of The Office, therefore resetting its timeline and restoring “Goodbye, Michael” to its rightful place as the series finale.

Honestly? I really liked last night's episode. I thought it ended on a very strong (and real) note.

I haven't been all that impressed with the these two last seasons, because I think they unwisely tried to find their "new Michael"... instead of taking the new boss in a different direction. Part of it is that the Office was never about Michael Scott for me, so my enjoyment was not dependent on his presence. I have things uneven with strong moments peppered throughout in seasons eight and nine. And I think that neveness is because they relied to heavily on Michael being outrageous for seven seasons which painted them into a corner.

Honestly? I really liked last night's episode. I thought it ended on a very strong (and real) note.

It was a very nice moment, but tonight's episodes took that idea into the realm of gimmickry.

Edited by Ryan H.

I just scrolled up and saw that I last posted about the show in 2011. I may have watched it into 2012, but I doubt it.

Then I jumped to the first page of this thread, thinking I'd posted right when the show began. No, my first post is on page 2 of the thread, from May 2006.

I read a few posts about the show from that season, got wistful and had to stop.

All's well that ends well, and THE OFFICE ended well, I thought.

I haven't watched the show since season....six? Right after Jim and Pam were married. Anyway, despite most of the mixed responses I've seen about the past few seasons, I was happy to see most of the TV critics I like saying the series finale was quite good. That alone kind of makes me want to go back and wade through the past few seasons. Kind of.

For me, the real ending of the show will always be Michael Scott's departure. But this was still a good ending, capping off a decent farewell season (after a rickety season 8), and it made me feel a little sad to see it go.

Edited by Ryan H.

Really, I thought they did pretty well this season, but yeah...eight was all over the place. In part because they were trying to fit Andy into a Michael Scott role. It became very cartoonish. I found it hard to believe anyone would have thought Andy could manage an office in the first place. Michael was shown to have actual skills that could lend me to buy that his mistakes would have kept him around for all those years.

But I felt like in the final season, the crew found their footing a bit better on how to work without Michael anchoring major plots.

(I have not seen the final episode yet, so I am glad to hear people thought it worked)

Edited by Thom Wade

(I have not seen the final episode yet, so I am glad to hear people thought it worked)

I would say the finale was as good as it could have been given the show's development.

The final episode worked pretty well for someone like me who's tuned out the past two seasons and most of the season prior to those as well. It's also been nice to be reminded by the various write-ups this week of how much I enjoyed the first four seasons.

But even back when The Office was at its peak, I thought the episodes suffered when they were extended past a half hour and last night was no different though I get why they needed the extra time.

I should probably launch individual threads in the Lit area for books written by Office alums, but I haven't yet read BJ Novak's book and am only starting into Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? Kaling's shtick didn't go too far with me on The Office, and I've never seen her other TV shows, Still, when I saw her audiobook at the library, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm only on disc one, but it's close to a riot so far. I'm forced to revise upward my opinion of Kaling. 

Edited by Christian