theoddone33

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

I actually thought that the Coen's choice of Leaning on the Everlasting Arms for the True Grit soundtrack was inappropriate as that hymn is forever associated with Robert Mitchum's preacher in Night of the Hunter... and the Coen's *have to* know that.

theoddone33 wrote:

: I actually thought that the Coen's choice of Leaning on the Everlasting Arms for the True Grit soundtrack was inappropriate as that hymn is forever associated with Robert Mitchum's preacher in Night of the Hunter... and the Coen's *have to* know that.

I dunno, I didn't see Night of the Hunter -- or even any clips from it -- until I was well into my 20s, and I was already familiar with the hymn just from singing it in church.

There are other, more ironic, reasons why the Coens chose that song, of course. Especially in this year of amputee movies.

I didn't even pick up that the Coen's used it in True Grit. I did note that the starry sky in the end of True Grit seemed reminiscent of the starry sky in NOTH during the river journey.

When Spielberg showed the clip

of the grandmother and Robert Mitchum singing "Leaning on Jesus", you could see Mitchum duck down quickly when the light when out. Spielberg noted that you couldn't see that on the then-available videos and dvds. I'll be looking to see if you can see it on the new Criterion disc.

Netflix sent me the MGM DVD version, and you could see Mitchum dart off when Ruby brings the candle into the porch; I didn't notice any subsequent ducking when Mrs. Cooper blew out the candle. I wished I'd had the Criterion disc--it contains the doc that has the rushes from filming discussed previously in this thread. Would have been fascinating to see.

I didn't even pick up that the Coen's used it in True Grit.

!!! It's everywhere in the score, not to mention over the end credits.

What can I say? I was just excited to actually see a movie in the theater. They could have been playing "Hammertime" and I probably would have missed it.