Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Red Sox open their season tonight!

finnegan   
Susan Orlean npr story about "Sweet Caroline" at Fenway.

Wow. Thanks for that link. I had no idea. I love stories like that: mysteries that have no real purpose or meaning... And then I made the connection that the jornalist, Susan Orlean, is the woman that wrote the book that Charlie Kaufman made an "adaptation" of. I listened to the story again with an image of Meryl Streep in my head... Of course, Susan Orlean doesn't look anything like Streep.

I think I could become a Tiger fan if they went out and grabbed him. The Sox are crazy to let him go.

Jeff   

Wow. I am utterly amazed at the ineptitude and stupidity of the Red Sox management. They just let the brightest, most successful young preppy businessman of all time walk away for absolutely no reason. Larry Lucchino will never be able to atone for this sin, no matter who he brings in to replace Theo: the fans will hate him forever.

It's going to be another 80 years before we win the Series again. This is going to enact a new curse, and 2005 will become a number as mystical and evil as 1918. The Curse of the Bam-Theo, or Theo-bino, or Thambino, or something.

Aw well. I enjoyed the Cowboy Up/2004 championship years a lot, and I guess all good things must come to an end.

RIP Red Sox Management, 2002-2005 death.gif

Last weekend's Sprts Illustrated did a small piece on what happened. Lucchino wants to market big names. Theo thought that free agents were a bear market this off season and didn't want to go for any. Henry chose not to get involved. Theo worked for lucchino, soooo.....

Jeff   

The Red Sox are getting a facelift.

Without a GM, they have gone ahead and dealt/lost Bill Mueller, Kevin Millar, Tony Graffanino, Edgar Renteria, Doug Mirabelli, David Wells, Mike Myers, John Olerud, and a bunch of prospects (in various deals and trades, of course). In return they've picked up Mike Lowell, Mark Loretta, Andy Marte, and Josh Beckett.

Also, believe it or not, Nomar Garciaparra is interested in coming back, but not as a shortstop. He's willing to play any position but catcher or pitcher, so he says. The man is desperate to remake a name for himself. We could probably sign him for chump change. Pokey Reese could potentially come back as well.

I'm really curious about how we'll perform with so many new faces next time out.

WHAT? Links please.

Anybody reading Feeding the Monster by Seth Mnookin? I am, and I can't put it down. Fascinating inside look at the ownership change and their seasons and moves since then. Like Garciaparra's jealousy at not being offered a $17 million/year contract because Jeter and A-Rod were making $20 million, and Manny and Pedro were making more than $17 million.

And Tom Werner not going to Yankee stadium to see game 7 in 2003 because he'd been shoved twice there by a fan for wearing a Padres hat (when he worked for them), and when he appealed to a cop who saw it the cop says, "You're lucky he didn't slug you."

Oh, and when Grady Little didn't take Pedro out of that 7th game against the Yankees, owner John Henry turned to Larry Lucchino and said, "Can we fire him right now?"

For citizens of Red Sox Nation (this thread should be renamed Red Sox Nation), this is a good read.

Jeff   

I should read that book, Jeff. It sounds pretty cool.

Sadly, though, this season has fallen apart completely....five straight losses to NY= death of playoff hopes. What the heck happened to our pitching staff? :(