Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Red Sox open their season tonight!

I'm afraid it is too late for their pathetic little band.

Methinks I spoke too soon, last time.....

During game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, when the Red Sox were beating Roger Clemens and the Yankees and looking like they might advance to the World Series, my father called me and very confidently said, "It looks like we're going to do it." I will repeat to you, Mister Jeff, what I said to my father that night:

What in the history of you being a Red Sox fan gives you confidence in a situation like this?

Now, that was before 2004, when we ended the curse. However, let us not forget what it is like to smell victory, but then not be able to taste it. Our Sox have taught us this lesson many times over the years, and they may well remind us of it again this year.

We are not hitting (except Ortiz, who did everything he could to win tonight's game all by himself). Everyone is getting hurt. Renteria makes 1-2 errors every night. Our bullpen is scary most nights. We may be pitching better (though Clement and Wells are doing their best to quell that rumor), but let's not forget how we pitched all year.

I'm so unconfident, I'm routing for Yankees losses every night.

Even if we make the playoffs, we'll be facing the teams with the best pitching and the best bullpens in the league (Chicago, Cleveland, Oakland, L.A.).

Ah, you're right. I guess I let my cynical, New Englander defenses down for a while, in hopes of an 04' repeat.

There's always the wild card, right?

Tonight was one to savour: Schilling did well, Delcarmen was (mostly) superb in relief (3-Ks in hs one inning), and the HRs kept flying. Still, it's only one game, and the last two losses were so pathetic that I actually wore my Tigers cap while running errands today. It's possibly the last sputterings of a machine running on fumes, but I certainly hope they pull it off. There's still (alas) time for the usual collapse.

Ortiz is SO going to break the club home-run record. He only needs 5 more to dethrone Jimmie Fox, who hit 50 in 1938.

Anyways, maybe this time Schilling really has turned a corner. Either way we won't know until his next start. But I really think that the offense has finally come to life; Varitek, Nixon, and co. all hit well last night, and if they can keep up the momentum for tonight we might be able to put something together here.

Keep your fingers crossed, Bostonians and Bostonians-in-spirit.

Over a week ago, after Papelbon pitched those 3 great innings to get the win in extra innings, I went to bed that night and couldn't sleep as I kept thinking about who would make our playoff roster to serve in our bullpen. That may have been overconfidence on my part - but I still think about it now.

With a four person rotation, I imagine they may go with Schilling, Wells, Clement and Wakefield, though that certainly depends on how Schilling, Wells and Clement pitch the rest of the way. Arroyo makes sense out of the bullpen because he's done it before. And if anyone blows up early in a game, he's the guy to go long.

And that gets me thinking that our bullpen is bad, but it is a whole lot better with Arroyo in it.

Add to that:

Bradford

Myers

Timlin

That leaves two spots. Assuming Foulke keeps making progress, I'm sure he'll get a spot.

That leaves one spot. I think it goes to Papelbon, and I think he deserves it. I would be happy seeing him come in the game.

But Francona has also been working in others, which is interesting. Is he trying to see what Delcarmen, Harville, and Hansen can do? Or is he simply resting his real arms for the playoffs?

If Foulke can't go, maybe Gonzalez? Or another kid?

But Francona has also been working in others, which is interesting. Is he trying to see what Delcarmen, Harville, and Hansen can do? Or is he simply resting his real arms for the playoffs?

At this rate they won't have to worry about the playoffs; even the wild-card slot will be beyond their reach. And I'm wearing my Tigers cap today, after they worked so hard to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again yesterday, and allowed the Turkees to take the lead. blowup.gif Not that this is unexpected late in the season; they've been doing it so well for years, and only last year did they finally foul up their latest attempt at total collapse.

Perhaps they should adopt a motto: "Collapse happens; deal with it".

Last night was pathetic. Friggin' pathetic, in every way. Even Jerry Remy was getting steamed up in the broadcast booth. The team just rolled over and died. They left runners on base, they couldn't get crucial outs, they left inherited runners for Timlin who proceeded to get nuked (poor guy, he's been dumped on all year by the starters). It was just terrible.

Oh well, I ought to be optimistic. Wild-Card or Bust!

Hey, it could be worse - you could be an Orioles fan!

Heh, very true, Andrew. We just took three in a row against those Orioles, so I don't envy them at this point (not to rub it in or anything biggrin.gif ).

Right now, it isn't looking quite so bad...We just need to white-knuckle it for a little longer...

uh-oh ...

The Sox can't stink up Fenway like they did tonight and expect to be playing anything but golf after the weekend.

Last night was bad news. Arroyo had nothing, the offense had nothing, and the frickin' Blue Jays walked all over us. If we can't beat these guys, than how are we going to take 2 out of 3 from the Yanks?

That brings the Evil Empire's magic number to 4.

3 Edited by Darrel Manson

At least they ended the season in style, crushing the Empire 10-1. For once the pitching was what we wanted; Schilling had some of his old zip back. Hopefully the post-season will reflect this.

It's always good for the sport when two "olde towne teams" get together to knock eachother out of the playoffs. Go Sox! Errr....Red Sox, that is.

FWIW, MLB.com has a bracket game you can put your pick (team and # of games) for each level of playoffs. My final outcome in the Cards in 5 over the Halos.

Ugh. It's a good thing I'm out on the west coast and watched the game on tape.

In a game like that, fast forward is your only friend.

Matt Clement was just plain awful. I like the guy, but man, he had nothing. And once you go down by 6 runs like that, in a hostile stadium against a good pitcher who hates your guts, you might as well put in the third-stringers.

Here's hoping that tonight doesn't go as badly.

The Red Sox hot stove league begins tonight.

Only another 85 years to wait.

LSHIC.gif

Oh, well, there's always next year. Tonight they played like they wanted to lose; their skill at leaving the bases loaded is always a source of amazement. Loaded, with nobody out, and not a single run scores, with Johnny D. striking out on ball 4, when he knew it was a ball, and the tying run was all set to stroll home ... they deserved to be swept after playing like that! cussing.gif

As long as the "Empire" goes down to defeat ...

Look on the bright side: at least the Angels poured out a golden bowl of wrath upon the Evil Empire. And a great cry was heard, roaring like the sound of many waters.

Rooting heavily for an Astros/White Sox series now...