Sign in to follow this  
Ann D.

Baseball 2005

We all know the Red Sox are special, and as such can have their own thread. cool.gif

This one is for all the OTHER teams. The ones that are unique in their own right. Especially the Cardinals. wink.gif

Yes, I know there is already a baseball thread, but I wanted a new, clean, fresh thread to start the 2005 season. AL, NL--heck, even minor league, if you wish--share your frustrations and jubilations.

I myself don't follow much baseball outside of the Cardinals, so you can drop names left and right and I probably wouldn't know who they are. But I am a big fan of the Redbirds and am even going to St. Louis in July to catch a couple of games with Crow.

So, how are the games progressing so far? Cardinals are currently undefeated. tongue.gif

I will truly miss Mike Matheny. The Giants are lucky to have him. Not only is he a kick-ass catcher, he's an honest, hard-working, God-fearing man. God bless him in his new city.

With that said, Molina is awesome. We have one of the best starting catchers in the NL, IMO.

How is everyone else?

Subtlety is underrated

With that said, Molina is awesome.  We have one of the best starting catchers in the NL, IMO.

Now if he'll just come west to join his brothers.

What is it about that family that turns out catchers? Not the most glamorous position. All those bruises. You'd think one of them would want to be an OF. (Not Benjie though, he couldn't run down a fly ball hit to him. At games, I've seen him on third and hoped he'd be able to score on a triple.)

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

the LA teams are mixed this year. LAA of A has awesome pitching (even some of the lesser starters can be brilliant - I figure Lackey for the next Angel to get a no-no, but when he's off he stinks), arguably the best OF in the league. And they have KRod.

The Bums' infield on the other hand will soon be bringing out the old Michael Jackson joke - wearing a glove on one hand for no apparent reason. They've upgraded SP, but have lost significant offense. And one of the dumbest managers in the game. The Dodgers list has been whiny even before the season starts.

-from the film
Armin

Dodgers: 12-2. Equals their best ever franchise start, 1955 - the first time they won the World Series.

luxhello.gif

(We so need some baseball smilies.)

-from the film
Armin

Carpenter just threw a complete, shut-out game against the Cubs, 4-0. Awesome pitching from him; he deserves this win. He's easily my favorite starter. It's his sixth shut-out game, I think I heard the announcers saying. Cards and Cubs won't meet again until July 22.

There were two absolutely beautiful homeruns from Walker and Pujols.

Red Sox fans, how is Renteria doing? I haven't been watching the games or stats.

Subtlety is underrated

If I recall correctly, the baseball season doesn't run as late as august/september, does it?

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

Actually, Gigi, the MLB season runs all the way into the first week of October (not counting the play-offs, which can last until the first day or two of November at maximum).

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

If I recall correctly, the baseball season doesn't run as late as august/september, does it?

This questions recalls the good old days when a penant race meant something and 16 to 20 teams did not yet dilute the talent. Now, with so many divisions and a "wild card", the real heart stopping race is for the best second place record in one's league.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Ooooh! Oooooh! Now I'm excited!

Thanks guys. That's one addition to 'things to do whilst on holiday'. Yay!

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

Here is one of the better articles I've read in the Cardinals section of mlb.com, talking of the Sox/Cards "rematch". In my opinion, it's not a real rematch unless they are both again in the WS, but I realize I'm in the minority with that opinion. And it was a good matchup.

Subtlety is underrated

Oakland is turning up the heat now! If only we could find a way to not suck the first 1-2 months of each season.  dry.gif

That's because now the players are hoping to get traded to a contender so they're showing their stuff.

-from the film
Armin

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim will still be playing next week. Can the same be said of the Bosox?

-from the film
Armin

Need to bump this up ahead of the Bosox thread now that the Red Sox Nation has been defeated in glorious battle and the real champions of the 2005 seasons are still at work to claim the title.

The good news of the season: The Yankees are probably now going to be undergoing some serious changes. I don't expect Torre back (although I really like Torre, from his playing days on.) I expect some serious personel changes. I keep hoping that each defeat will send them spinning to oblivion. It hasn't happened yet though.

4 good teams remain. Sox/Halos could be a good series if the Angels aren't so worn out from sitting on airplanes that they give away the first two games. Both Sox and Angels have shown the ability during the season to play mediocre ball. If one of them goes there now, it will be over quickly.

Astros have the greatest momentum coming from the end of the season. That could carry them a long way, as it did the Angels in '02.

Any of these 4 could win it all. I, of course, have to back the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (and hope they come to their senses and drop the LA soon)

-from the film
Armin

It's great to see the Cardinals take game one last night! Reggie Sanders is on fire and Carpenter was very strong. smile.gif

The Angels sure got gypped, though. eek.gif

I missed seeing the play that cost the Angels the game, but (and I say this as an Angel fan) the Sox batter was able to pick up on the ump's non-call and Josh Paul missed it. Whether the non-call was correct or poorly done is another matter.

-from the film
Armin

If you can't beat em', join em'. Go ChiSox.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

The Cardinal's are going to give me a heart attack before it's all done. I'm calling for a White Sox/ Cardinal's World Series. I think we're the better team than the Astro's, but our bullpen is really struggling.

Subtlety is underrated

Ya gotta love that Albert Pujols. He may have changed the momentum of the entire series. But I'm still pulling for the Astros.

Did you hear about this? In the Astros' 18-inning defeat of the Braves, one kid caught both Berkman's grand slam and Burke's walkoff homer. Maybe he'll be playing left field for the Braves next season.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Nuts. Nuts, nuts, nuts, nuts.

Good job Astro's. The Cardinal's had a heck of a second chance handed to them, back in their home territory, and nada. Well, nearly nada.

Subtlety is underrated

That was a bummer last night. The Cardinals just couldn't get their bats going. The Astros pitching was tough throughout the series, especially Oswalt. I'm glad the series went six games so they could get in one last game at Busch Stadium before it gets torn down and the new park is finished being built.

That Pujols home run Monday night in Houston was awesome though. Especially seeing how that crowd became so suddenly quiet. tumbleweed.gif

It should be a very competitive World Series, with outstanding pitching on both sides. I'm predicting a lot of batters doing this. mf_surrender.gif

It should be a very competitive World Series, with outstanding pitching on both sides.  I'm predicting a lot of batters doing this.  mf_surrender.gif

Old School-boy that I am. This is just how any White Sox series should be. How fitting that the team once dubbed (and dubbed again in '59) "the hitless wonders" would be in a pitchers' duel series.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Good game tonight. (at least it's still tonight here, not in Houston) Been a very good series so far.

-from the film
Armin