Sign in to follow this  
Joel

Are You a Real Life Music Writer?

I know some of us would call ourselves music writers, or rock critics, or music critics, or what have you, but I'd like to know just who's out there and who is writing. I have a dream...a dream that the stable of music writers and thinkers who post in this section of A & F will one day rival the film dudes' section.

I know Thom is a full-on music critic, and Opus too (right?)...but I'd like to hear from the rest of you.

Do you consider music criticism to be your main "thing" when it comes to writing? If so, where have you written and where do your reviews, etc. regularly appear?

Maybe we can turn this into a way to help each other find good pubs to write for. (Or maybe I'm the only one looking for that!)

For me, I only regularly show up in Tablet Magazine and Paste. In the past I've been in The Stranger (Seattle alt-weekly), IMAGE (& ImageUpdate), and Relevant Magazine.

I know Thom is a full-on music critic, and Opus too (right?)...but I'd like to hear from the rest of you.

I wouldn't consider myself full-time - it's more like a glorified part-time job that doesn't pay anything - but I do write reviews on a somewhat regular basis for my own site, some of which have been republished on other sites like The Phantom Tollbooth, THEOOZE, and Stranger Things (RIP).

I shoulda qualified that:

"full-on" = you would stand up and say "yes, i am a music critic, that's what i do," even if it's not your job.

full-time = you would say that AND it's pretty much all you do, even to make money

I've been writing music reviews for over six years now. I've contributed to The Phantom Tollbooth, Infuze Magazine, and Relevant Magazine in the past, but mostly I post stuff at my personal site, Reveal.

I shoulda qualified that:

"full-on" = you would stand up and say "yes, i am a music critic, that's what i do," even if it's not your job.

full-time = you would say that AND it's pretty much all you do, even to make money

I write for Paste, Relevant, and The Mars Hill Review.

It's definitely a " full-on" calling vs. a full-time job. There are some folks out there who manage to do it full-time, but I can't imagine how. In any event, I don't do it for the money. Good thing, too.

But it's great fun, and tremendously rewarding in ways that have nothing to do with finances.

Edited by Andy Whitman

But it's great fun, and tremendously rewarding in ways that have nothing to do with finances.

Amen to that.

Ack! Critics!

Give me a minute, and I'll think of a very effusive and witty rebuttal laden with both pop culture references and childhood nostalgia that criticizes you for not being as "indie" as me. wink.gif