Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Darryl A. Armstrong

Gene Wilder is not a fan.

Wilder, of course, is best known for portraying chocolatier Willy Wonka in Mel Stuart's "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory." But he did not mince words about Tim Burton's take on the beloved Roald Dahl tale.

"I think it's an insult. It's probably Warner Bros.' insult," Wilder said. "Johnny Depp, I think, is a good actor, but I don't care for that director. He's a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did."

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to do a ten year retrospective on this, and it's better than I remembered (and I liked it quite a bit before).

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

• 5 years later...

The original is one of my favorite kid movies of all time. I couldn't tell you how many times I saw it growing up except to say I have huge chunks of the movie permanently memorized and ingrained into my brain, and when I finally owned a copy of it (the 2011 DVD version) I was officially over the moon and have seen and loved it many times since. This movie will never get old, it's the perfect children's film and still enthralls me to this day. Unfortunately the Burton remake totally stinks, takes everything that was so pure and magical about the original and blows it up so that it's hardly recognizable anymore. What once was simple and pure and magical is horribly distorted and just makes me sick. The original novel is perfect, the original movie is even more perfect, but the remake is downright ghastly.

Edited by Michael Hovey

• 4 months later...

I have friends who either love the Burton remake or hate it. Same with the Burton-Depp combination in general. I myself am not that big a fan of their works, but I did really enjoy the Burton version on Willy Wonka. I do think George Orwell's Animal Farm would be a particularly good choice for Burton to adapt into a film. The book is political and allegorical and all, yes, but, it's also got the weirdness/whackiness quotient Burton could thrive with. Imagine Walken or Cage playing Old Major and Napoleon (either dressed as animals or just voicing them).