Sign in to follow this  
stu

Music video

Hey people,

A video artist friend of mine recently made a video for one of our songs. It's shot in grainy black and white stills, has animation in the background, and features the side of my head, at least once. Yes, I know, it sounds like a real treat.

Well, it is right here if anyone would care to cast a critical eye over it and offer an opinion.

Cheers,

- Stu

It took a bit to finally view it but I am glad I was able to.

I loved the idea of the growing, spiraling downward mass placed inside the motion still shots. It had a bit of a hypnotic effect. It is a great idea but much more experimental in feel than MTV watching.

Thanks!

I like it when you see the big mass of pulsating lines close-up, like a weird angry animal. It reminds me of the nasty creature in Princess Mononuke, if anyone has seen that.

The guy who made this has also done a video for 'Let Down' by Radiohead (not an officially sanctioned version...), which is really, really good. I might try and get that put on our website as well sometime.

I liked it too. The "living string" is definitely what makes it.

You've probably got the video set the final way you want it, but if not... a coupla thoughts: I'd either leave out completely the intro and outro of the girl w/ headphones, or change her part to live action as contrast to the rest of the video. Also (if it is even possible) as the song builds and climaxes I'd love to see the "living string" come out of the screen, move more around the band and fill the room.

Just some thoughts on my part, so don't take any of this to mean that I don't like it. Great color, great images, great tone, great concept.

lso (if it is even possible) as the song builds and climaxes I'd love to see the "living string" come out of the screen, move more around the band and fill the room.

This must be a good idea, because someone on another forum said the same thing:

I was hoping the squiggles were going to break out of the screen and take over everything.

I don't think it's possible though - the guy who did it is now working on another video for us, so has his hands full. But thanks for the feedback - it's helpful. We might cut the intro - I'll have to see.

You've probably got the video set the final way you want it, but if not... a coupla thoughts:  I'd either leave out completely the intro and outro of the girl w/ headphones, or change her part to live action as contrast to the rest of the video.  Also (if it is even possible) as the song builds and climaxes I'd love to see the "living string" come out of the screen, move more around the band and fill the room.

These are really good suggestions. Putting the girl in motion is an excellent idea but I think it still feels a bit unrelated and broken. I like the idea of the string coming "alive" but the way it hangs there feels ominous, like something watching over our shoulder knowing what is to come in a collective unconscious sort of way. I like the hovering mess.