Sign in to follow this  
dfisher

Matisse Introduction

dfisher   

Hi I need to carry out some research on Matisse and know next to nothing about his work or influences.

Can anyone recommend a good Matisse primer?

I've had a quick scan through some websites on Matisse but I'd prefer to get recommendations before purchasing.

Thanks in advance

D

Lat night we went to see the movie theater version of the Matisse cut out exhibit at Tate Modern and MoMA. A nice way to see such things if you can't wander to NYC or London. Seeing the works on the big screen works well.  Part of the program dealt with his chapel in Vence--absolutely lovely. Some archival footage of the chapel looked like a dedication service and the brief time it was on it looked as if Angelo Roncalli (later John XXIII) was doing the dedication. Perhaps it happened while he was Nuncio to France.

jfutral   

Went to MOMA yesterday to see this. I had no idea he designed stained glass windows. And I had no idea he worked in such large scale with his cutouts. One was easily 20'w x 10 or 12' h. Just stunning.

If you don't want to buy any books (just in case), might I suggest a bit of old school library browsing? Hard to beat.

Joe

Edited by jfutral