While in NY I saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (great fun). In the Playbill I noted an acknowlegement of MGM On Stage which has several movies getting ready to be made into plays. The MGM webiste had this:

Carving out yet another lucrative, low-risk opportunity to exploit its intellectual properties, MGM announced its return to Broadway for the first time in decades in the first quarter of 2002 with the launch of the newly formed MGM On Stage. Under the new initiative, the Company will capitalize on licensing and development opportunities for MGM properties as stage productions. By penetrating this important market, MGM can expect to receive economic benefit from added licensing and merchandising revenues, while maintaining a specific level of involvement in the creative process. Through MGM On Stage, the Company has already licensed several award-winning properties, which are currently in varying stages of progress, including: Sweet Smell of Success, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Marty, Moonstruck, The Pink Panther, Where's Poppa?, and The Night They Raided Minsky's, and is currently in negotiations on several additional high-profile properties.
I find this an interesting synergy and trend.
A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 7 months later...

The term that I've come across for the trend is MOVICALS. Clever. At least, cleverer than turning movies into musicals in the first place. I'm waiting for Ghandi! the Musical! Perhaps My Dinner with Andre.

By the way, I've also gleaned that the trend for taking a musician's catalogue and putting a plot to it is a JUKEBOX MUSICAL - See Movin' Out, Mamma Mia, that Elvis show, Lennon, the John Denver one, and i'm holding out for the Rage Against the Machine musical.

I confess... the last musicals I've seen on B'way were both MOVIECALS ("Saturday Night Fever") and JUKEBOX ("Mamma Mia" and "We Will Rock You"). I would think that the familiarity factor breeds interest, unless you're a Stephen King fan ("Carrie").

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

8 1/2, The Musical! Or maybe they'd change the name to

Fellini's 8.5 Live!

Isn't that the musical "Nine"?

• 3 weeks later...

The term that I've come across for the trend is MOVICALS. Clever. At least, cleverer than turning movies into musicals in the first place. I'm waiting for Ghandi! the Musical! Perhaps My Dinner with Andre.

My Dinner Theatre With Andre.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

• 2 years later...

Just got a call from the Ahmanson trying to sell us tickets for the coming season. 2 of the plays are going to Broadway after their run in LA, and are movies turned to stage: Nine to Five and Minski's (based on The Night They Raided...)

-from the film
Armin

• 1 month later...

Next up on the boards.... American Psycho! The Johnson-Roessler Company, The Collective and XYZ Films are adapting the novel (or film) for the stage.

Story here.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Many of the denizens of the Broadway message board I frequent are annoyed with the trend. They're ready for a few original ideas for musicals/plays to come down the pike.

I wonder if people used to get annoyed way back in the Thirties and Forties when the trend was going the other way (tons of plays being made into movies)?

I wonder if people used to get annoyed way back in the Thirties and Forties when the trend was going the other way (tons of plays being made into movies)?

Depending on the play, I might still be annoyed. Cases in point: Proof (much better on stage) and Doubt (excellent on stage, the trailer just has too many people in it)

-from the film
Armin

• 3 weeks later...

This could be interesting, especially if they continue to work on it over the next few season's. The Classical Theatre of Harlem, an Off-Broadway venue, has a workshop version of Melvin Van Peebles Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song as part of their '08/'09 season.

Brief story here.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 3 years later...

The 39 Steps !!!!!

Not done as a proto-noir film, but as farce with cast of 4. One guy plays Hannay. A woman plays 3 roles and two actors (listed as clowns 1 and 2) play all the rest, often changiing characters mid-scene and even as they say their lines. Saw it last night, It is a hoot.

-from the film
Armin

The 39 Steps !!!!!

Not done as a proto-noir film, but as farce with cast of 4. One guy plays Hannay. A woman plays 3 roles and two actors (listed as clowns 1 and 2) play all the rest, often changiing characters mid-scene and even as they say their lines. Saw it last night, It is a hoot.

Lucky! I'm dying to see that!! :)