THE CAR THREAD

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We bought our first NEW car ever.  No more clunkers!!  But of course, the wife will drive it primarily.

Gee, I should have sent a picture of our Prius (waited 7 months for it). Got license plates this weekend.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Speaking of new cars: (couldn't resist) I've got a silvery metallic ice-blue 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid, which runs beautifully, and so far--no trouble with it. Saves me lots of money on gas, and, even during really cold days when the economy mode doesn't work, I get considerably better mileage than I did on my regular 1993 Honda Civic, which, by the way, I traded in when I bought my present Honda civic Hybrid.

Gee, I should have sent a picture of our Prius (waited 7 months for it).  Got license plates this weekend.

OK, now I'm envious. We've been talking about making a Prius our next car for some time now, but there's no telling when that "next" might be. Good thing it's still Lent! pinch.gif

Seriously, congratulations, Darrel. Are you happy with it? Is it living up to the hype? Reply via PM, if appropriate, since this is really veering OT now.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Gee, I should have sent a picture of our Prius (waited 7 months for it).

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

By Saturday night this should be our next car...

[iMAGE DELETED BY ME]

2005 Toyota Avalon XL w/ leather upgrade.  Titanium Metallic exterior paint.

Well, we got the Avalon XL today! Had a friend who used to sell cars come with us to ensure that we got a good deal, and man we did! Even got a moonroof! We're all smiles out here! And I can't stop with these exclamation marks!!!

We didn't get the Titanium Metallic, but went instead with the Phantom Gray Pearl exterior and graphite leather interior.

Here's about what it looks like:

user posted image

Gorgeous car dude! It looks so... ah... Successful on you.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Don't it tho? wink.gif Actually the Avalon XL is the base model and starts at $26k. We got some added features but didn't pay anymore than $30K all told. It pays to shop around and not be in a rush. My wife and I are just teachers, and we are very blessed to find such a good car for such a good price.

Edited by SZPT

Yes, this was the first informed car purchas for my wife and I. We bargained over a 2005 Rav4 for 3 hours, and ultimately walked out over about $2200 in price.

But we took their offer to the Hyundai dealer and got the Santa Fe shown above for 17,900 out the door!

Knowledge truly is power!

And so is a v6 3.5L engine!

• 1 month later...

My cars:

1963 Mercury Meteor ...

His name is Mr. Venables. Currently being re-built for my son.

1962 Mercury Meteor (Merc-O-Saurus)

1963 Olds F-85 wagon (Kustom) "Lucynell", aka "Wise Blood"

2003 Mercury Marauder (Elijah)

post-938-1116593492_thumb.jpg

Yours truly,

ABP

No one with a good car needs to be justified. -- Hazel Motes

In the final end, he won the wars, after losin' every battle.-- Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind

Hot Rod Anglican blog ...

My cars:

1963 Mercury Meteor ...

His name is Mr. Venables.  Currently being re-built for my son.

1962 Mercury Meteor (Merc-O-Saurus)

1963 Olds F-85 wagon (Kustom)  "Lucynell", aka "Wise Blood"

2003 Mercury Marauder (Elijah)

Yeah, but who's the pretty lady?

Yeah, but who's the pretty lady?

That is Miss Ivy Blue, a model (formerly of metro Detroit, soon moving to LA) that I hired for a photoshoot. I'm doing a painting of her for what I call my "Goth & Gothic" series. Here is one more picture:

[attachmentid=216]

post-938-1116601537_thumb.jpg

Yours truly,

ABP

In the final end, he won the wars, after losin' every battle.-- Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind

: That is Miss Ivy Blue, a model (formerly of metro Detroit,

: soon moving to LA) that I hired for a photoshoot. I'm doing

: a painting of her for what I call my "Goth & Gothic" series.

Um. 'Kay.

I have an '01 Honda Accord LX (black, bought new) with 80,000 miles on it. My wife has an '02 Pontiac Firebird (blue, V6, bought new) with less than 20,000 miles on it. (I do the great majority of driving in our household, and I don't like driving her car.)

With Baby Prins on the way, I am trying to convince Kim that we should trade in my car for this.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

With Baby Prins on the way, I am trying to convince Kim that we should trade in my car for this.

Dale

I like that! Zoom, zoom! cool.gif

Yours truly,

ABP

And a pic of my Marauder (taking a turn at Waterford Hills Road Racing course).

[attachmentid=217]

post-938-1116604410_thumb.jpg

Yours truly,

ABP

Dan, saw your note about the wife driving the new car. In my experience, the wife almost always gets the best car...it's some kind of law of nature, I guess.

Sarah drives an 850 Turbo Volvo wagon.

I drive a 1993 Geo Prizm.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Dan, saw your note about the wife driving the new car. In my experience, the wife almost always gets the best car...it's some kind of law of nature, I guess.

Sarah drives an 850 Turbo Volvo wagon.

I drive a 1993 Geo Prizm.

FWIW, I usually drive the '98 Toyota Corolla, the DH drives the '94 Toyota truck. He insisted he needed a truck. I'm still not sure why, since we've rarely hauled anything larger than what would fit in the Corolla's trunk, but I suspect he just likes, you know, the image. Except that the Corolla is really much more comfortable, gets better mileage, and handles better all the way around. He will take the Corolla at every opportunity. Men are odd. cool.gif

On the other hand, our goddaughter's mother drives a Chevy truck (I don't know models, but this one has an extended cab and 6 cyl., manual drive--Caroline insisted), and her father until recently drove a very slick SAAB convertible. Then they adopted two more kids and conceded that only a minivan could accommodate all six of them, so now Jack drives the Nissan minivan. I guess you could say it's the nicer car--brand new, lots of bells & whistles. C. hates it.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

My wife and I each drive minivans right now. My uncle, a mechanic, very seriously informed me that they are a major health risk: I might catch a glimpse of myself in a glass building and commit suicide. Ah well, the convenience of dual sliding doors cannot be overstated for young families.

This is our third car -- selling it now...

post-40-1117121349_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim Willson

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

That is Miss Ivy Blue, a model (formerly of metro Detroit, soon moving to LA) that I hired for a photoshoot.  I'm doing a painting of her for what I call my "Goth & Gothic" series.  Here is one more picture:

[attachmentid=216]

Cool title. Nice shots of the church too. Though you cropped out the Hockeytown Cafe' acrosss the street. Not as gothic.

Dale: DEFINITELY! That, or the 6 wagon or five door, I'd say.

We drive: '97 Mercury Sable wagon with oversized chrome wheels and low profile tires. Best handling Taurus/Sable in town! I bought it that way. Basically her car and our long range car unless on road trips for large furniture.

'94 Dodge Caravan with, heh, heh, only 55K miles on the clock. Bought it 2 years ago for $1500. I like low slung cars, but the deal was too good to resist. Been to N.C. a few times with it picking up eBay furniture. My intention is to run this 'til it dies unless I become overloaded with disposable income.

Considering that my mom paid around $38K for this car in 2001, it really has NOT kept its value. A great used car for those still interested in high-HP sedans.

Well, you kill the brand and the value tanks. Happens every time. GM was crazy not to fold this car into Pontiac or Buick. It is one of the best cars they ever made.

I've run through two now:

1990 Toyota Corolla (which was my parent's car - they were kind to let me drive it).

1999 Nissan Sentra (bought slightly brand new - plan on driving it till the tires fall off, the engine blows up, and the undercarriage rusts over).

Edited by Clint M

FWIW we sold our car about 18 months ago when I got a more local job as the environmental / cost factors outweighed the convenience.

Just out for curiousity does fuel efficiency come in to the equation when people are buying cars?

Matt