Sign in to follow this  
DanBuck

THE CAR THREAD

This is the first car I've ever purchased that was less than about 6 years old when I bought it. ('07 Infiniti G35) Took advantage of the need to move from a 2-door to a 4-door with a new baby. Still purchased used (about a year old), but I feel like I've vaulted into the new millenium when it comes to features and what not. This thing's like a NASA project: voice-activated gps, rear-view camera, headlights that turn when you're going around a corner, built-in ipod-like mp3 player. Anybody want to take bets on how long it's going to take before I get in a wreck trying to figure out how to work it all? On the other hand, not exactly fuel efficient... :)

(Full disclosure: I'm kind of a deal-hound, and a big part of the reason I bought this was that I happened to just stumble on an incredible deal on it on craigslist. More than likely it'll get "flipped" within a few months, but I'm going to do my best to enjoy it in the meantime!)

1.jpg

Edited by popechild

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

Never mind the gizmos, most of the buff books love this car. Stick? CVT? Paddle shift?

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Never mind the gizmos, most of the buff books love this car. Stick? CVT? Paddle shift?

First auto I've owned. Miss the stick for sure, but the tiptronic (or whatever Infiniti calls it) helps a fair amount. No paddle shift on the wheel, but there's a DIY kit from Infiniti to add the paddles yourself for about $200. Will probably get that some day if I end up keeping the car. Down revs to match rpms when you down shift so the bottom doesn't drop out, which is very cool. All things considered, I'm hugely impressed. I've had a 300z, an A4, and a C70, and this car easily outperforms any of them. Which is saying something, considering that it's a pretty plush 4-door sedan.

That was GREAT. OTOH, "fine"? Isn't that a little snooty?

I figured that's what those wine-tasting road race types (which is who we are emulating with the IRS) would put at the end of their YouTube videos!

The engine sounds wonderful! MPG? Octane?

BTW, I'd LOVE to see the looks on some rodder's face when you dare him to drag you through the Coolidge dogleg.

Once we get the front suspension redone, yes, you're right!

I don't know the MPG yet (the speedo/odometer are not yet hooked up). I've been using 93 Octane, but I'm not at all sure that it's necessary. I need to

go back and check the 1993 Mustang manual (that's what the motor is from) to see what's actually required.

Yours truly,

ABP

No one with a good car needs to be justified. -- Hazel Motes

In the final end, he won the wars, after losin' every battle.-- Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind

Hot Rod Anglican blog ...

Just bought my own new(ish) car. In anticipation of moving to Nashville (where I am now), I sold my beloved Ford Focus to my Dad, and bought my Sister's 2007 Nissan Versa.

It's a great little economy car. It's basically a re-badged Renault Megane, from Europe, so it's got a very stable, firm-on-the-road feel. It's trimmed out at the top of the line, so it's got the CVT, which works like a dream. Also got the smartKey entry and ignition, so I don't have to have a key to start the car. it's nice not to have to fiddle around trying to get keys into a lock, and then into the ignition. I've also got the bluetooth with the hands-free phone, but unfortunately, I don't have a compatible phone. I'm thinking of upgrading at some point soon. It's nice to have a hatchback, especially as a musician with all my unwieldy gear. On top of all of that, it's gets great MPG.

Time will tell if the car holds up in reliability, but it is a Japanese build, so I'm expecting a long run out of the car. Mine is identical in trim and color to the pic below, except that I have tinted windows.

2792417203_bd6191ddb6.jpg

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Sounds like a great car! I did not know that it was essentially a Renault, or that a CVT was available on that car. APB is a Ford transmission engineer. He's told me that CVTs are engineered to be most efficient for economy or power depending on peddle touch, but most folks don't believe what they feel because of the lack of jerk between gears to which they are accustomed. You have a good feature there, trust it.

We have a "new" car ourselves. A 2003 Ford Windstar LX with loooooowwwww miles. The price was so low, I won't share. Suffice it to say, this is another reason to visit. Detroit is cheap recent car heaven. This car I found online. It had some cosmetic and not so cosmetic minor problems that helped negotiations. Power driver's seat (a first for me), four "captain's chairs" which should help with the Babe's hereditary bad hip on long trips. PTL, we are exceedingly squared away on transport issues now. We even have a third car "backup" for the inevitable used car glitches. No inconvenience when one of the main cars is in the shop.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Yeah, the CVT is great. It's so weird; when you want to go faster, you push on the pedal, and the car goes faster. The RPM's don't go as far up and down as they do in a conventional auto, and it's SO much smoother; none of those irritating, jarring downshifts when you floor it. It also gets pretty good MPG; definitely above 30.

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Yeah, but if you stop at traffic signs and signals, the Ninjas can catch up and roll you over.

Good timing, noticing this thread and all. I just got a 2006 Hyundai Elantra. This life-change was way overdue. B)

Long days and pleasant nights.

"I am Tyler Durden's raging spleen!"

It's an incredibly impractical, mid-life crisis car, with a sticker price of around $60K--but it was a lot of fun to drive for a few days, especially in Arizona, a state that's made for driving fun, fast cars.

A strange comment considering AZ is famed for its photo speed traps.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

On certain stretches, yes, but only as implemented by cities, not the state/highway police. (Arizona has the highest speed limits in the USA, UIM. This Wikipedia map is out of date, as I definitely saw 80mph posted between Phoenix and Flagstaf.)

I *did* notice that on the (101?) beltway/highways in and immediately around greater Phoenix, almost everyone was driving the speed limit (65) or, at most 70. That was s-t-r-a-n-g-e, as in the Philly area, traffic typically 15 mph over the speed limit (e.g., 70, but with a posted 55).

Don't know if you've spent much time in Atlanta, but I've never been anywhere where people drive as fast as they do here. All of the posted limits in and around town on the interstates are 55, but I'd say 75-80 would put you in the flow of traffic when there's no congestion, and 85 wouldn't make you stick out. I know when I've visited other places where people actually drive 55-60, it's been very hard to comply...

On certain stretches, yes, but only as implemented by cities, not the state/highway police. (Arizona has the highest speed limits in the USA, UIM. This Wikipedia map is out of date, as I definitely saw 80mph posted between Phoenix and Flagstaf.)

I *did* notice that on the (101?) beltway/highways in and immediately around greater Phoenix, almost everyone was driving the speed limit (65) or, at most 70. That was s-t-r-a-n-g-e, as in the Philly area, traffic typically 15 mph over the speed limit (e.g., 70, but with a posted 55).

Don't know if you've spent much time in Atlanta, but I've never been anywhere where people drive as fast as they do here. All of the posted limits in and around town on the interstates are 55, but I'd say 75-80 would put you in the flow of traffic when there's no congestion, and 85 wouldn't make you stick out. I know when I've visited other places where people actually drive 55-60, it's been very hard to comply...

My experience with driving in Atlanta is that average speed ranges from 0 to 7 MPH. That was driving the freeways from Hartsfield to my former company's headquarters in Norcross. It's apparently better in other parts of the metro area.

The old, semi-reliable minivan has finally broken down for good, so I think we're about to buy a 2009 Mazda 6. This is billed as a "sporty family sedan," which sounds like an oxymoron, and probably is. But it compares very favorably with the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord, and there were a couple times during the test drive when I felt like A.J. Foyt rather than A.J. Whitman. Zoom zoom zoom.

Edited by Andy Whitman

Well, we drove a new '07 Toyota Sienna off the lot today. Never thought we'd end up with a minivan, but here we are. (Right, Tim?)

We are trading in our 7-seat Chrysler Town & Country for an 8-seat '09 Sienna. Starting next month, we will need the extra seat.

(I drive a Corolla to work.)

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

We picked up our new Mazda 6 yesterday. After 150,000 miles on a 10-year-old minivan, we could no longer justify sinking a couple thousand dollars into repairs. So now we have the "sporty family sedan." I like it, after 17 miles.

It was more than a little surreal at the car dealership, though. This was the Ricart Auto Mall, something of a legendary local institution. Fred Ricart owns 12 different car dealerships, and he's put them back-to-back-back, in thoroughly overblown, ostentatious fashion (our Mazda dealership had its own "test track," where we could zigzag that sporty family sedan around various orange cones), in what used to be cornfields and woodlands just south of Columbus. The resulting Car City is a sight to behold; cars, and nothin' but cars, for about a mile and a half in every direction. And the Ricart Auto Mall was utterly deserted. Our salesperson mournfully informed us that we represented his first sale this week. Apparently nobody's buying cars, or at least new cars. Everybody's hunkering down. And I understand that, too. It's just that we'd already been hunkering for the past couple years, and we figured that it was important to be able to sit in a car that actually moved.

A car so nice, I bought it twice! Well, anyhow, I bought a 2nd one.

Even if you don't work in the auto industry as I do, the handwriting on the wall is clear: The large, powerful, American rear-wheel drive sedan will not be coming back in my lifetime.

But it is what we like.

With that in mind, I just bought my wife a 2003 Mercury Marauder, to match the one I already have. It is rare (1 of 327 blue Marauders made), so I had to fly to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to buy it. I drove it back.

As Hazel Motes said of his Essex (in Wise Blood): This car is just beginning its life!

Seriously, we plan to put over 200,000 miles on each of these noble beasts.

0026skr2.jpg

0026t7gb.jpg

0026xq4a.jpg

Yours truly,

ABP

In the final end, he won the wars, after losin' every battle.-- Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind

As Hazel Motes said of his Essex (in Wise Blood): This car is just beginning its life!

Sheesh. And I thought that he said that about a '58 Ford Fairlane! Nice car. Real nice car. I'm a fan of the Marauder and the mid '90's Impala for precisely your reasons.

Sheesh. And I thought that he said that about a '58 Ford Fairlane!

Good eye, Rich! In the John Huston film, it was a 1958 Fairlane.

But in the book, O'Connor describes it as a "rat colored Essex".

Yours truly,

ABP

Well, we are talking about the convergence of two obsessions (cars and film) and an avocation (John Huston's career). Can't miss.

EDIT: Come to think of it, in the days of the Essex, little was not rat colored.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

My 15-year old is driving now. Fortunately, we've pretty much finished up his car ...

Yours truly,

ABP

My 1996 6V 5-speed Ford Contour SE has 215,000 miles on it. Still has great pick-up. Built on a European chassis, I don't have to slow down for curves. I wanted something new after 150k, but it kept going and going, so I got curious. Just how long will this thing last?

Where is the Life we have lost in living? Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

--T.S. Eliot--

I always liked that car. Somple, clean lines that formed a rather pleasant form. That is a rarity today. Most of the small cars remind me of dinky but overblown wheeled versions of hi-performance basketball shoes, or something Lada would design today (if the U.S.S.R. were still around) to address the demand for small efficient cars that appeared in the early '80's. Nevertheless, your curiousity seems to be well rewarded by your car.

Hey ABP, Looks like a great example of the model, absolutely gorgeous! Love the sound of that exhaust note. Did you do a complete rebuild? What stuff did you put into it? Really cool!

Hey ABP, Looks like a great example of the model, absolutely gorgeous! Love the sound of that exhaust note. Did you do a complete rebuild? What stuff did you put into it? Really cool!

Thanks, Joel C ...

Modifications to Eliot's car (1963 Mercury Meteor) include:

2003 Mustang Cobra Independent Rear Suspension

BilletFlow IRS brace

QA1 adjustable shocks

Eibach springs

Fatman Fabrications Strut Independent Front Suspension

10th Anniversary Mustang Cobra brakes (4-wheel discs)

Hydroboost power brakes

Rack and pinion steering

1999 Mustang Cobra 6-way power seat

1993 5.0L Mustang GT engine, with:

- Holley 650cfm double-pumper carburetor

- MSD ignition and distributor

- Hedman Headers

- Weiand intake manifold

- Chrome one-wire alternator

- KRC power steering pump

Ford AOD (4-speed automatic) transmission

B&M MegaShifter (floor shifter)

Dynotech custom aluminium driveshaft

2005 Mustang GT wheels

Front wheels narrowed 2" by Weldcraft Wheels

Pirelli PZero Nero tyres

s640x480.jpg

s640x480.jpg

s640x480.jpg

Yours truly,

ABP

This is your son's car? He is the coolest kid on the block by a very wide margin.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

This is your son's car? He is the coolest kid on the block by a very wide margin.

Thanks - Yes, it's his car, and I do think he is the coolest kid on the block.

He is such a "car guy" that even I get tired of his constant automotive chatter, and I have a pretty good appetite for the same!

I blogged about his early relationship with the Mercury Meteor the other day ...

Yours truly,

ABP