Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Calvin and Hobbes returns!

It's not a newspaper strip, but I really like Homestar Runner, and especially the Strong Bad E-mails. I was introduced to them oh, about a year ago, and I've now seen all the e-mails, and some of the cartoons. It's good, it's clean, and it's funny. Anyone else here familiar with this site?

Oh my yes. I used to hit it all of the time, but haven't been to it in quite some time. They seemed to hit a creative drought for awhile, so I stopped going. However, there are definitely some classics on there. I still remember the first time I saw Trogdor and Stinko-Man.

Edited by opus

Missed this thread on vacation, so this is a response that should have been written a week ago to Jeffrey:

: I know some of you do some cartooning.

:

: Or the Michel-Gondry/Charlie-Kaufman bizarro-land

: of M. Dale Prins.

M. Dale Prins actually wrote an occasional comic strip for a time, one that occasionally -- and amazingly! -- was printed in a local (and now dead) altweekly in Richmond. Some samples, picked pretty much at random:

[attachmentid=248]

[attachmentid=249]

[attachmentid=251]

[attachmentid=252]

[attachmentid=253]

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Okay. So some of those make no sense without context. Sorry, folks. I'll throw some more up Monday, if people are interested.

Dale

Doonsbury is daily read and I'm Canadian...go figure.

My all time favourite and most missed comic is Bloom County.

Clive

Double points if you correctly guess where the name came from.

It isn't here? biggrin.gif

Or this guy?

Parker Brothers and Milton Bradley?

Edited by SDG

Ding ding ding on guess three.

Now what's two times zero again?

Dale

I think what we all want to know is: Where is Le Strip de SDG, since, uh, you know, as opposed to certain people posting their comic strips on this thread, you can actually draw.

Also, since I never posted it, the comic strips I read regularly, in order of preference:

"Tom the Dancing Bug" (the only good political comic strip ever)

"Fox Trot" (mostly for Amend's ability to follow a good joke with an even better one)

And that's it. Sometimes "Zits," sometimes "Baby Blues," sometimes "Dilbert" (but I try not to). And dead strips "Calvin & Hobbes" and "Smarter Feller" are the only ones I really miss. It's not a genre I'm generally fond of, to be honest, which is one of the reasons I wanted to try my hand at "drawing" one.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I think what we all want to know is: Where is Le Strip de SDG...

I have to admit, it does keep me up at nights sometime that I am not doing a comic strip. It's one of the things Suz says to me every so often... "You should do a comic strip!"

D'accord. I did go to school for that after all. But there is only so much one can do at any one time, and right now, when my film-criticly duties don't have we watching or writing about movies (which is more of my time than I'm happy with right now), I am trying to write a children's book. It's coming along very well, if slower than I would wish, primarily due to lack of time.

Someday, though, I may do a comic strip.

Thanks for asking...

I'm surprised that only one person in this thread has mentioned Bloom County, a strip that is outdone only by Calvin and Hobbes when it comes to storytelling, characterization, and excellent artwork.

The new "Opus" strip, on the other hand... yeeesh.

Ditto on the Bloom County. I never laughed so hard in all my borned days.

Fox Trot makes me laugh. Bizarro and Non Seqitur as well. I like off the wall stuff.

Growing up, however, I had close to 50 Peanuts books.

Well, I don't know about the books, but if your talking about strips published for syndication then you're half right.  Yes, the black & white was the first one published.  However, the strip below was actually the last original C&H to grace any newspaper's Comics section, published on December 31, 1995.

Quite fitting too.

[attachmentid=239]

I too am/was a huge Calvin & Hobbes fan. To be honest, I got teary eyed when this final strip was ran. I still have it framed, it's one of my favorites of the series and a perfect ending.

Has anyone heard about the 17-week run coming up having new cartoons in it? My guess is no, since it's to promote the collection that will be released.

Don't any of you read "Mutts?" It is my favorite of all comics, and I even own most of Patrick McDonell's collections of his strip.

Sara

Speaking as someone who reads the comics every day, Breathed's real problem isn't generational or attention span-related. The real barrier to him connecting to an audience is that, as far as I can tell from reading it every Sunday, his comic isn't engaging or funny or insightful enough to appeal to anyone other than nostalgic Bloom County fans. Of which I am not one.