Umberto Eco's History of Beauty?

I saw this at the bookstore the other day. I'm a big fan of Eco's writings, both fiction and non, but with a $40 price tag, I'm hesitant to buy this one, even though it sounds like a good follow up to his Art and Beauty in the Middle Ages (even though the former is only edited by him).

Has anyone any thoughts on the book? Worth getting? Only worth reading?

matt

www.xreal.org

"What do people mean when they say 'I am not afraid of God because I know He is good?' Have they never been to a dentist?"--C.S. Lewis

• 1 year later...

I saw this at the bookstore the other day. I'm a big fan of Eco's writings, both fiction and non, but with a $40 price tag, I'm hesitant to buy this one, even though it sounds like a good follow up to his Art and Beauty in the Middle Ages (even though the former is only edited by him).

Has anyone any thoughts on the book? Worth getting? Only worth reading?

I read it briefly, and will definitely be picking it up, despite my never agreeing with his political asides.

Rudy

The title is one I would definitely pick up. Haven't read any of his stuff before . . .

. . . added it to my already too long Amazon wish list.

definitely worth getting (though if it is US$40 you may want to try to get it through abebooks or some such). some lovely (though brief) looks at the notion of beauty as it is tied to various paradigmatic and ideological ideas over time. especially like the stretch from bosch through to the romantics. the modern section feels slight in comparison to the medieval section, but then eco is a medievalist. even touches a little on the sublime.

it is beautiful too.

I don't deny that there should be priests to remind men that they will one day die. I only say it is necessary to have another kind of priests, called poets, to remind men that they are not dead yet. - G. K. Chesterton