Sign in to follow this  
DanBuck

Christian Realists (www.xreal.org)

THIS is a very cool website!! And a cool organization of people.

Aside from A&F I've never read the feelings of a group about faith and art that feels as much like home to me!

Well done!

Edited by DanBuck

Dan,

Thanks. Now admit it: it was the trash can that cinched it for you, wasn't it? Even if you have to lie, tell me it was the garbage can. smile.gif

We've been doing this for a bit more than 6 years and have been through ups and downs. We just this past month redesigned the site as a blog and are slowly moving the material over from the old site. It's a great group of folks we've got over there and we're always open to others.

matt

www.xreal.org

"What do people mean when they say 'I am not afraid of God because I know He is good?' Have they never been to a dentist?"--C.S. Lewis

I only saw the new site. And mostly I was impressed with the content. Uh, yeah, and the trash can. (No, idea what he's talking about) But I noticed the fonts get a little crazy on the "works" section I think it was, where you list each of the contributing authors writings. And the links to blogs, only YOURS worked smile.gif.

<Matt adds a few things to his list of things that need fixing.>

matt

www.xreal.org

"What do people mean when they say 'I am not afraid of God because I know He is good?' Have they never been to a dentist?"--C.S. Lewis

Matt - welcome!

My wife always calls herself a realist when I suggest she's being a little pessimistic. (Usually in response to her suggesting I'm a naive optimist!)

I read your "home" article and I'm still not quite sure why this title. I'm interested in how you see being a CHRISTIAN REALIST is a unique definition for you and your group.

In part I come at the question because I don't particularly like adjectives to Christianity (protestant Christian, Catholic Christian, charismatic Christian) or the use of Christian of an adjective for other descriptors (Christian humanist, Christian politician, etc).

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

I've been wondering about this as well, and my best guess about the origin of their title is found in their art. They are using the word realist, not so much in the philosophical or even "common" usage, but in its artistic meaning. They are artists, mostly writers, who try to reflect the truth of the universe as it actually is, not in the muted or softened tones so common to "christian artists." The anti-Kinkaid or anti-7th Heaven.

But like I said, this is just my best guess.

Edited by DanBuck

The name was one that was thrown out when we first started, and it sort of stuck. The meaning is pretty much what Dan wrote. We're Christians and we attempt to produce art in a mode that realistically reflects the struggles that flesh-and-blood Christians go through. The genre of that art, though, isn't necessarily what's been called 'realism'. When I write fiction, it's fantasy. Another writes historical fiction. Another writes romances. We've a potter who deals in abstract images. But what we try to do is to be honest about the struggles we encounter and not come up with 'pat' answers in our works.

matt

www.xreal.org