Sign in to follow this  
LoneTomato

$14 Steadycam

I completely forgot about this, but I've actually built this thing and used it in some video shoots and it works reasonably well (can't compare it to the real thing since I've never used one). It basically lowers the center of gravity and gives the camera more mass which leads to steadier shots. I'm thinking about experimenting with the design a bit (shorter pipes here and there). I'll let you know if I find something that works better.

http://www.student.virginia.edu/~fms-uva/steadycam/

That is wonderful, thanks for posting that. I could see how that would save someone QUITE a bit of money.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Absolutely, especially if it works as well as the footage implies. It doesn't compare to the real thing but a budget it a budget is a budget and you can always work your way up to it.

I have seen the Steadycam Jr for $100.00.

I imagine you could also built a mini crane (8') for a reasonable price. I am going to look into that. They are about $500.00 + but they do come with an LCD at the base where the hand controls are located, which kind of makes it worth the price. Plus you gain back the time spent in design and manufacturing and as the saying goes "Time is Money." or as John Lennon sang "Give me Mon-a-on-a-oney, That's what I want!"

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]