Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Travel plans

With vacation time approaching, who has anything planned? Late July, I'll be headed to Portland for my denomination's General Assembly. My wife and I will go up a couple days early and do some wineries (Oregon has good Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris), and maybe a half day or a day doing the Columbia gorge (great waterfalls). Then when the Assembly gets going and I'm doing business meetings, workshops, worship, and skipping out for a brew with my buds from seminary, Jane will fly away Augusta, GA on a long (maybe 3-4 weeks) business trip.

I like Portland (although I've only been there once before), so I'm looking forward to this trip.

Quebec City in July. Kitty Hawk in August. Boy, am I looking forward to those 2 weeks.

Joanna and I are spending a week at the beach with some friends at the end of June. I don't even know which beach -- somewhere on the gulf coast of north Florida, I believe -- but I do know it will be our first "do nothing but relax, read, eat, and sleep" vacation in a long time.

In August we'll probably make a trip up to Maryland to say goodbye to my home town. My parents are retiring this summer and moving to be closer to my sister and her family.

But mostly I'm looking forward to September, when I'll be taking my second trip to Toronto for the film festival. I'm going for the entire fest this time -- from Thursday to the following Sunday. Last year's trip may have been the best of my life.

Been to:

Poland

London, Norwich, Lancaster (several times)

Going to:

San Francisco via Paris & with a week in Mexico City (also debating whether to attend the Burning Man festival)

Poland

Maybe, but increasingly unlikely, Chile

Undoubtedly many more stops in various cities throughout the UK.

Next weekend, SC to visit my parents.

In July, Thailand for a week+, with a colleague, as part of a group of American English profs. who'll be sharing teaching tips with Thai English teachers. I'm not a nervous traveller, usually, but I'm somewhat anxious about this, as the subject matter--ESL reading--is really out of my area, and also my travel partner has just sprained her ankle badly. We hope it's not broken. Prayers are welcome.

We've been sent helpful prep. materials, so know what we'll be teaching and generally how. Also, we know what to do and not to do in Thailand.

In July: Orcas Island, WA (to perform at the Woodsong Festival)

In October: Atlanta & Statesboro, GA, plus Black Mountain & Asheville, NC

[tangent]Dude! Please let me know when you'll be in Asheville. It's only an hour away from me, and I'd love to get together with you.[/tangent]

We're going to the south Jersey shore (Wildwood Crest) this week. I'll be incommunicado till the end of the week.

Have you been to Burning Man? I'm intrigued, not by the things on offer but by the people & also the concept of the place. However, my intrigue sadly doesn't stretch to $255.

I thought Tokyo was the largest city in the world, or is that biggest population? I'm visiting a pregnant cousin and meeting her 2yr old son for the first time. Tourist stuff will be cool but she's gonna be 8 months pregnant so not doing tourist stuff is more likely and fine by me.

Renae and I will be heading up to the Olympic Peninsula in August for the ol' honeymoon, with maybe a short little jaunt up north to British Columbia.

Sadly, no trip to Toronto this year. Just way too much going on, what with getting married, buying a house, etc.

I'm going to Winter Park, Colorado in a couple of weeks. From there I'll drive up to Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks in Wyoming, and then head over to Illinois for the Cornerstone/Flickerings festival.

Last week of August/first week of September I'll be visiting the Pacific Northwest and planning on going up into British Columbia, and hopefully as far as Banff as well.

My wife is a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner who sees many Hispanic patients. She speaks Spanish fairly well, but is always worried about missing some subtlety in communicating when a translator is unavailable (she just figured out that there are two different terms for "heart murmur" in Spanish and she only knew the one that implied a serious condition - no wonder parents got worried even when she tried to assure them that the murmur she heard was no big deal!)

So, we are going with a group of friends to Antigua, Guatemala for three weeks to attend a Spanish language school. One-on-one tutoring for four hours every morning (they have a medical Spanish focus for Dana!), visits to Mayan ruins, eco-touristy weekend trips, and relaxing in one of the most beautiful places on earth the rest of the time!

Dana has been to Guatemala several times for medical mission trips, but this is the first time I'll be able to join her. Needless to say, we can't wait!

We're taking our sons and their wives with us - and 35 others from our church! - on a trip through Rome, Greece, cruise on the Aegean, and ending in Ephesus, Troas, Istanbul. We are following the "Path of Paul."

Denny

St. Louis in July to watch a baseball game or two.

I have a week in October, but I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I'd love to drive out somewhere pretty, but I'm rather low on funds.

Hey guys, feel free to check in on those of us who LIVE in British Columbia!  smile.gif

Well, from what I've learned about Vancouver from you and Douglas Coupland, I'm certainly curious enough to put a visit to your fine city on my itinerary. I haven't been able to get my head around planning my visit to the Pacific shores quite yet. I can only plan one trip at a time, and right now I'm trying to figure out how many books and CDs I can afford to buy at Cornerstone. But as a landlocked Midwesterner I'm looking forward to meeting with some of you West Coast folks. smile.gif

Edited by Crow

We're taking our sons and their wives with us - and 35 others from our church! - on a trip through Rome, Greece, cruise on the Aegean, and ending in Ephesus, Troas, Istanbul.  We are following the "Path of Paul." 

Denny

Oh, boy. Would I like to do THAT! Coming up this weekend we are heading down to Waynesville, NC to see the folks and help organise my packrat Dad's stuff so they can put the house on the market. The drive is really a day's drive, but we'll take a leisurely two days down and one day back the next week.

A week in August is still up in the air.

Just getting back now from our week in Wildwood.

Looks like we'll be going to the Carolina Outer Banks in August. Two week-long shore trips in one summer -- woo hoo!

Just home from 8 days in various cities, including Chicago and Dallas. Yesterday had a few hours at the Art Institute in Chicago -- unbelievable. Last Thursday, went to a film at Facets with Stef -- movie was okay, Stef was great! In Dallas, hung out with over 100 Christian comics for a few days.

Exhausted, and late to pick up my daughter from school -- more later. But I did want to recommend seeing a film with Stef if you ever get the chance.

I'll most likely be in my birthplace, the L.A. area, in November for a few days...

If you have time, give me a call and we'll do a face to face.

Darrell and Ken - let me know the timing and perhaps I can come that way or you can come up to Santa Barbara and I'll take you to my favorite THAI restaurant.

Denny

I'll post here when I know the particular area. Last November I was in Santa Monica, which might as well be on a different planet than, say, Pasadena.

The dates will be November 6-9th or so.

Both have good art house.

Combining business with pleasure next week with a two-day trip to Washington, D.C. In between moderating a panel discussion on media in a post-9/11 age, I'm going to try to see the new WWII memorial.

And sometime in August we'll head to upstate New York (somewhere around the Catskills) to visit my wife's sister, hopefully take in some camping and kayaking.