Edinburgh Fringe Festival

We will be here this year for what is slated as the world's largest theatre festival in the world. There are literally hundreds of productions to pick from over these three weeks in August (not including dance, musical/opera selections, and assorted experimental stuff). As I am not schooled in theatre, I am having a hard time settling on what to get advanced tickets for.

The schedules are here:

http://www.eif.co.uk/festival2005/theatre.htm

and here:

http://www.edfringe.com/booking/search.php

This is what has caught my eye so far:

Abigail's Party

A Clockwork Orange

Accidental Death of an Anarchist

Beat Freak

Beautiful Thing

Being Charlie Kaufman

Brecht's "The Wedding"

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Catch 22

Closer

Coelacanth

Corpus Christi

Educating Rita

An Evening With Shel Silverstein

The Hiding Place

The Hothouse

Medea

No Exit

Oleanna

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Tape

Musicals:

Suessical the Musical

The Secret Garden

West Side Story

Korczak

Jospeh and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

If anyone more versed in theatre has a chance to peek at the list and tell me if I am missing anything, I would be much obliged. It is a long list though, so please don't waste your time on it.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

See Medea. I can't figure out how they're going to have her

hang those children at the end of a live production

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Fly on over and see. If anyone needs a floor to crash on for the Fringe and/or the fantastic Film festival that runs here from the 17th to 28th, we have one.

Oh, and Stef, thanks for totally ruining the ending of that play for me.

Edited by (M)Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

See Medea.  I can't figure out how they're going to have her

hang those children at the end of a live production

The same way Jocasta

hangs herself

and Oedipus

blinds himself with the pins from her toga

. It happens offstage, someone comes in and reports it, and then the bodies are brought in.

Are spoilers necessary when the script is 2,500 years old?

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Well You-know-who's film version must be a whole heckuva lot better than that.

B-O-R-I-N-G!

And (m), I keep telling you not to read the blacked out areas. DOYERS! smile.gif

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 10 months later...

If you like musicals, you should add Mama Mia to your "to see" list... even if you don't like the music of abba. My sister has been with the musical for 5 years and it's superb!

where...?

oh, yeah... The Edinburgh Playhouse.

IMHO edinburgh is a fantastic place... FOR A HOLIDAY -I lived there for 7 years and in all honesty. IT STINKS LIKE AN OPIUM DEN.

I am a chosen servant.

www.thescribe.eu

scribe your own heaven.

We have been trying to get over to see it, but the tickets are too expensive. We baby-sat last night for a couple who went and enjoyed it.

AND, it does kind of smell like opium. That is really close. I first thought it smelled like pumpernickel, and over time adopted "spam" as my description. (For those who don't know, Edinburgh has a peculiar smell due to the number of breweries in the vicinity that every morning release large clouds of the smell of hops into the air. The wind brings it right back over to city centre.)

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

(For those who don't know, Edinburgh has a peculiar smell due to the number of breweries in the vicinity that every morning release large clouds of the smell of hops into the air. The wind brings it right back over to city centre.)

some might try to persuade you that the name Edinburgh has been adorned with - "auld reekie" has got something to do with the breweries...

In fact, the name "auld reekie" was given Edinburgh at a time before the Nor Loch was emptied...

I think i'd prefer the smell of the hops!

I am a chosen servant.

www.thescribe.eu

scribe your own heaven.

We live right on the Mound, one can still smell the ancient Nor Loch some days.

I read that "Auld Reekie" also comes from the concentration of coal smoke that used to happen right over the Old Town due to atmospheric conditions of the valley there. Either way, coal smoke and floating doodies could not have been a pleasant combination.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Aye. At school, I was taught (not very well) that the name extends from the smoke, but I think you are right... and... is it maybe a clairvoyance which lends a nostril to the nor loch? princes street gardens should be in full bloom right now!

I am a chosen servant.

www.thescribe.eu

scribe your own heaven.