Some reflections on THE JOSHUA TREE.

Josh Hurst

As for Luminous Times, that one is a bit harder to figure.  

I guess the lyrics could represent Christ's words, as He assures His bride that \"love won't let you go\" and urges her to \"hold on to love.\"  And this might be a stretch, but the line \"I love you cause I understand that God has given me your hand, and holds me in a tiny fist,\" could refer to Christ's words in John 17:24, when He says, \"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory...\"  The subsequent line, \"and still I need your kiss\" could reflect the fact that while Christ as God is self-sufficient, He is so desirous of a relationship with us that He was willing to die for us, and therfore \"needs\" us in that sense.  Just a thought.

The lyrics to "Luminous Times" being the words of Christ might finally explain the line that I could never figure out -

"I love you cause I need to, not because I need you".

I always wondered why Bono would say that to his wife...

Perhaps I was a bit ambiguous in my previous post re: the Joshua Tree B-sides. I too, am glad the album turned out the way it did and that it wasn't a double album. I think "Sweetest Thing" is an ok sort of "fun" song, but can you imagine it sandwiched between "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "With or Without You?" 8O Ick. In general, though, the songs have a similar feel to them and don't sound to me like they came from any era other than the Joshua Tree. And getting back to DRose's original comment, it's interesting how Luminous Times and Walk to the Water compliment With or Without You. That's obviously why they included all three on the same single.

My favorite lyrical moment when the speaker in \"Trip Through Your Wires\" reveals that his love is a shoddy substitute?  

I was thirsty  

And you wet my lips  

Not exactly the same thing as being given drink, and certainly not the same as receiving life-giving water. More like trying to quench a need by barely wetting the surface (or satisfying only a sensual desire). Then, of course, the well goes dry and that's that.

The idea that the speaker in Trip Through Your Wires has discovered that his love is a "shoddy substitute" is becoming more and more clear, thanks to your comments. For a while I was tripped up by the line, "You gave me shelter from the heat and the dust." That seems like a positive statement on the surface, but then the very next line is "No more water in the well, no more water..." It's sort of like an admission that a a cheap substitute for love can be fulfilling, but only for a while. In the end, it will leave you high and dry. It sort of reminds me of the writer of Hebrews and his reference to "enjoying the pleasures of sin for a season."

I was thirsty

And you wet my lips

Not exactly the same thing as being given drink, and certainly not the same as receiving life-giving water. More like trying to quench a need by barely wetting the surface (or satisfying only a sensual desire). Then, of course, the well goes dry and that's that.

Oh, this is a great observation! I'd never paid those lines much attention before. Nice work.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com